Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

We are and have been inconsistent. That's as equally likely to be a function of relative youth and inexperience as it is perceived selection faux pas and/or game style/tactics.

I'm inclined to think that the inconsistency of youth and inexperience as a significant factor is down-played here by quite a number because Bevo has signalled it a few times as being just that....a significant factor....one that has to be overcome to be successful.

You don't have to look far past Naughton's recently discovered consistency to see that it's plausible. But he is just one who has found this out of a number who need to.
Yep, it is an inconvenient truth that a lot of our better players are still developing for various reasons, JUH, for the lost covid year as an example.

Our game style has changed, and players are getting closer to that consistency at a high level, Naughton, for example.

Whilst the inconsistency is frustrating, scratch the surface, and we are very close. Re sign B Smith and yes Tim as well as Buss and the short term future is exciting.

Bev has one more year left after this on his contract. He may or may not be here next year but if he is not he will be leaving the club in a much better place than he found it at the very least. If he stays he has the opportunity to build further

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How we fare in the next four weeks will tell us a lot. Not just the win/loss but also how we play and whether we are competitive and innovative… or at least showing strong evidence of evolving into a force.

I’d be reasonably happy with 2 wins. Very disappointed if we lose all four. If we only win one but show we are moving in the right direction, consistent form, players developing etc then I could perhaps accept even that.

What particular evidence is there that we are more inconsistent, however you want to define that, compared to the league average.

If anything the fact that we've barely been blown out of games and managed to keep losing margins relatively narrow on average in recent seasons shows a level of consisrency, not inconsistency.

Does anyone want to guess what Bevo's biggest margin loss in a game played in Melbourne is? Round 16, 2018 vs Hawthorn. A 63 point loss.

Here’s an interesting question.. if we had of won the 2021 premiership, would we see more supporters be more comfortable with Luke at the helm right now with the same results last year and so far in 2024?
I'd still say the talk would be pretty similar. Perhaps wouldn't have been that vocal towards the end of last year but you still would have the similar fan and media talk thats happening now. From memory fans weren't very happy with him at the beginning of 2019 after two poor years then a bad start to the 2019 season. Which is a similar place to where we sit now, but will we get on a roll like we did in 2019? I hope so.

What particular evidence is there that we are more inconsistent, however you want to define that, compared to the league average.

If anything the fact that we've barely been blown out of games and managed to keep losing margins relatively narrow on average in recent seasons shows a level of consisrency, not inconsistency.

Does anyone want to guess what Bevo's biggest margin loss in a game played in Melbourne is? Round 16, 2018 vs Hawthorn. A 63 point loss.

It will look worse for us given we expect more of the Dogs. (and we should imo). Obviously Gold Coast, Hawks and Eagles are big examples last year that stick out massively.

63 might be the biggest margin but a finals team cant be losing by 30-50 too often. It also shows a form of inconsistency.

Lost by 45

This year we have belted a few teams so far so for the time being it’s been covered.

Lost by 50, 51, 49

Percentage never truly recovered at 108%, only GWS slightly worse around us given their run. They shows it can turn around in terms of wins though.

Lost by 38, 41, 53,

Percentage worst of the eight again at 108 but lucky Carlton were equally shit that year so the Dogs make the eight.

Dogs have some decent wins throughout but good teams that are consistently in the eight don’t ruin their percentage.

Hello Doggies fans, I come in peace.

I went to an event at my local last night that featured Peter Daicos and Doug Hawkins.

I had a brief chat to Hawkins, who told me that he caught up with Tony Liberatore early in the week. Tony apparently said the AFL is currently in the process of medically retiring Tom.

Devastating news if true, but I thought you guys might appreciate a bit of a heads up.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And to add to that, we had one of the youngest Premiership teams ever in 2016, so based on your post we should have improved or at least been a threat in the following years.
But we have to consider the experienced players in the team, the quality of those players and the talent that was sprinkled amongst the younger members ... do we not? A team containing the battleships Clay Smith, Liam Picken, Dale Morris and Moyd is a good start plus the rules were a little different. 3rd man up, no 6-6-6.

The mix and stars aligned back then in terms of youth, experience and talent ..... as they will again 10 years on (Dog and Zac Butters willing).

Come with me on a journey into the future......

Zac Butters arrives at the kennel this off season .... or next. So in 2026, Naughts, JUH and Darcy have played 150, 100 and 50 games ballpark each. They are ready. What they need is quality supply from good ball users. Freijah is in his 3rd season and what a revelation he has been. JOD has come on great, Jones is still here, Cleary and Dale send bullets out of the half back flanks, Sanders, through astute player management, has exorcised his defensive demons and is our primary inside mid. Bont is Bont. And English, English turned the corner in 2025 and with Gawn's retirement is actually the best ruck in the comp.

The missing piece, Zac Butters, returns to Victoria, desperate to get that premiership medal he couldn't get at Port.

Suddenly the narrative changes and the commentatoes keep banging on about how those tall guys in Dog's fwd line don't get any shorter as the game goes on. The exquisite ball use of Bont, Butters and Freijah combined with the penny dropping leading patterns and comp leading conversion rates of the tall forwards has rendered the rebounding defenders of other teams redundant.

At the start of the 2027 season the AFL introduce netball bibs that display the height in cms of each player in flashing leds to assist the umpires in penalising the dogs through the new rule that says you can't have more than 1 player over 200cm in the fwd 50 at any one time and to help the other 17 teams whose lists are heavily invested in rebounding defenders whilst also stopping the Dogs from winning.

The high that this board experiences after winning our 2nd flag in 10 years is quickly superseded by obsession with the latest AFL conspiracy against and we revert to type and victimology.

Scrag becomes a moderator on the Tassie board and blanket bans any Dogs from contributing as they try to steal 2026 B&F and All Australian Sanders for a future 3rd round pick and the AFL announce that we won't receive any draft compensation. Harsh words are exchanged between Mutt, Mofra and Scrag in the moderators' smoko room. The encounter escalates quickly into violence.

The jury doesn't buy Mofra's insanity defence despite compelling testimony from expert witness Dogwatch and he is sentenced to a term of imprisonment. Scrag awakes from an induced coma 3 years later, unrepentant, and just in time to see Tasmania win the first of their three successive premierships.

Last edited:

I went to an event at my local last night that featured Peter Daicos and Doug Hawkins.

I had a brief chat to Hawkins, who told me that he caught up with Tony Liberatore early in the week. Tony apparently said the AFL is currently in the process of medically retiring Tom.

Devastating news if true, but I thought you guys might appreciate a bit of a heads up.

A good many of us are in the acceptance stage of grief already. But thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info!

I know this isn't the right thread.

But can the AFL force a player to retire under these rules? Or does the player still have a right of choice, but the AFL just recommends it?

Lets be honest, if it is the former. The AFL will be saying it is to protect players, and maybe it is to a degree. But lets not kid ourselves that this would be nothing more than lawsuit protection first. Thanks to all the previous lawsuits, I expect more players will be forced to retire under "medical advice" just so the AFL can save face in the future. Are the "independant" reviewers really so? Or paid off by the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But can the AFL force a player to retire under these rules? Or does the player still have a right of choice, but the AFL just recommends it?

Lets be honest, if it is the former. The AFL will be saying it is to protect players, and maybe it is to a degree. But lets not kid ourselves that this would be nothing more than lawsuit protection first. Thanks to all the previous lawsuits, I expect more players will be forced to retire under "medical advice" just so the AFL can save face in the future. Are the "independant" reviewers really so? Or paid off by the AFL?
I guess you could look at the long term health benefits/preservation of the player as being a collateral benefit of self interest.

Honestly heartbreaking. My favorite modern doggies player.

The VC curse strikes again.

My understanding is they actually can't force anyone to retire. They can only "strongly recommend" they retire.

In saying that, if Libba is pushed to retire I would hope he made the right decision.

My understanding is they actually can't force anyone to retire. They can only "strongly recommend" they retire.

In saying that, if Libba is pushed to retire I would hope he made the right decision.

Interesting, I’ve read conflicting reports. The process I have a lot of concerns for. How can you medically retire people, whilst at the same time have rules that allow for legitimate knocks in the head e.g. knee to the head in marking contests. Feels very each-way bet to me.

Take young O’driscoll, if that had have been Harley Reid, do you really think the AFL would have retired him as well so soon?

Interesting, I’ve read conflicting reports. The process I have a lot of concerns for. How can you medically retire people, whilst at the same time have rules that allow for legitimate knocks in the head e.g. knee to the head in marking contests. Feels very each-way bet to me.

Take young O’driscoll, if that had have been Harley Reid, do you really think the AFL would have retired him as well so soon?
I do think they would still make the same decision, but I suspect in a situation like that, a team would be compensated.

You make some good points and I agree with you however the landscape is changing .
I wonder how the sport will cope with all the compensation that will be paid out over the near future so it’s a watch this space over the next few years .
My understanding a panel of medical experts brief following there reviews and recommendations come from that and considered by all party’s . The wording “afl” made him retire which could be quite possible could be the medical review board recommended immediate retirement .
If I was playing and a board of medical experts recommend to retire immediately that’s exactly what I would do .
Either ways or what ever said the thought of not seeing Tom play is really sad .

It’s a complex issue but the standard practice of the afl is to massively over compensate and then when things settle down a little they come back to a more sensible middle ground.

Think Todd Curley or the period where umpires were paying fifty metres for dissent at the drop of a hat.

I want the players to be protected (from themselves at times no doubt) but I do not want some over zealous boffin and a bunch of lawyers deciding the fate for an individual against their will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back