News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 - "Brisbane 2032 will be cost-neutral"

The Office Lol GIF

Amazing, everything I hoped, suggested and predicted looks like coming to fruition (along with others). The ultimate result if this goes ahead. Section 5 you won't be happy it doesn't stick to the terms of reference, but surely this is an amazing result for the club. Let's just hope the liberals get on board and don't make it a political issue.

This is everything you called for months ago and got absolutely smashed for.

I’m very very sorry. It didn’t seem possible at all.

2021 - "Brisbane 2032 will be cost-neutral"

The Office Lol GIF
It doesn't have to be cost-neutral if we get the right legacy outcomes.

If it blew out by a billion dollars and we got an amazing outdoor stadium and an amazing indoor arena and we saved ourselves a billion in Gabba upkeep and we hosted an Olympic Games we still get a fantastic deal.

Miles won't be around in 6 months, is more important what the LNP says about it

That’ll be the interesting part in this - how much is locked in contractually by the time the next election rolls around. It may be that it’s all set in stone before Crisafulli even takes office.

Miles won't be around in 6 months, is more important what the LNP says about it

Tricky for the LNP as well. Don’t want to back yourself into inheriting an absolute dumpster fire that’ll backfire on you at the next election (if they are successful later this year).

I think they’d be silly not to support something which has merit and will deliver a good all round outcome.

This is everything you called for months ago and got absolutely smashed for.

I’m very very sorry. It didn’t seem possible at all.

Nuh no hard feelings, I didn't feel I got smashed for it anyway. Just a little secret though, I am actually Graham Quirk, been trawling this thread for ideas 😅.

If the libs get on board nothing can stop this. The issue is they may see it as a way to get elected, but then they face the exact same problems as labor having to navigate a sticky situation. Better for them to make labor look like the bad guys by saying they stuffed the process, sign the approvals too and then if they get in, they have a clean slate. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Yep sounds like it. Incredible for the Lions. A brand new 55,000 seat stadium from 2033 with no Gabba displacement or disruption before that.
Cricket can keep the Gabba and their precious pitch as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gabba Rebuild cost had blown out itself to $3.4 Billion
So they can spin it as cheaper by $200 million. Convenient. ;)

Edit: stuffed the numbers - cost neutral, rather than cheaper. Point still holds.

That’ll be the interesting part in this - how much is locked in contractually by the time the next election rolls around. It may be that it’s all set in stone before Crisafulli even takes office.
Take a leaf out of the Libs down here. Lock in all decisions just before you think you're going to lose an election using contracts with stupidly prohibitive break clauses rushed through to both ensure your preferred option holds up but also to * over your successors, c.f. our buses, our ports, our infrastructure delivery, our tolls, ....

Schrinner is the other critical factor. Does he play ball or go political scorched earth?

At least we are likely to know the answer on this pretty quickly.

Gees hasn't this review taken an unexpected turn!?!
I guess this will silence a lot of critics complaining about costs 🤣

At least the options now are looking more positive than a slight reno of the Gabba that would do nothing to support AFL, the Lions or the Brisbane community in the medium to long term. The question then becomes is it better to disrupt cricket & footy for 5 years to end up with a new stadium in arguably the best serviced public transport site available or a stadium in a park?

I must admit a stadium in a park does sound more scenic & aesthetically pleasing....but if it is essentially the same size anyway at a higher cost and less serviced by public transport is that the best long term decision?

I think I'd be swayed if they announced it to be 60,000 - 70,000 though as I see the long term benefit of such a big ground that will serve a full 50 years without any expansion requirements....but if it's only 50,000 or 55,000? The one leg up the Vic park option could have though is perhaps it can be expanded in the future more easily than a Gabba rebuild where - if it is too small in another 20 years - we're back at the same problem as today trying to work out how to rebuild it.

The train station is going to be approx 1 - 1.5k from the ground I suppose...wonder if they can rebuild that slightly earlier on the line so it's inbetween Vic park & showgrounds? Maybe 750m walk to both? I think it would be hard to argue that isn't close enough to an inner city railway station.

I think given Schrinner's control up here all eyes will be on what he has to say.....Miles is losing popularity fast and will want to avoid taking any stance that isn't supported by Schrinner especially given he started all this Gabba hoo ha with Anastasia by walking out on the panel so I dare say Miles won't make any announcements until Schrinner....

And so it begins ....

The Victoria Park/Barrambin Residents Action Group is urging all community members to oppose the proposed Olympic Stadium. WE WILL MAKE OUR VOICE HEARD AND WE OPPOSE THE ENVIRONMENTAL VANDALISM OF THIS PROPOSAL. We will make the battle over the Gabba/East Brisbane State School seem like a minor skirmish. Stay tuned folks, the war is just beginning!

And so it begins ....
I miss the days where it actually required effort to collect signatures, etc, for petitions. Showing up at shopping centres, etc, with clipboards. It showed that people really did care. Now with online petitions and social media any numpty can start one and people who don't even really care will sign anything.

i understand a lot of the cost associated with the gabba rebuild was to do with demolishing it in a manner that met regulations - whats the plan with this if victoria park does go ahead? its not like there would be a need for the gabba afterwards and the cost to demolish it doesnt magically disappear.

Schrinner is the other critical factor. Does he play ball or go political scorched earth?

At least we are likely to know the answer on this pretty quickly.

I reckon schrinner knew the proposal going by his on stage interview the other day. He is safe for a few years now anyway, easy to lock in the deal, people will forget by the time the next elections come around. Plus surely the ex mayor already spoke to him about this and got a commitment.

So the barrambin Victoria park action group are upset about losing a bit of golf course that wasn't publically accessible anyway? Please, the media give these groups too much air time.

The full review has been released.

Key Points:
  • Victoria Park Olympic Stadium with 50,000 seats for Olympics and 55,000 capacity in legacy mode ($3 Billion - $3.4 Billion)
  • Gabba operational costs until 2032 are $400-500 Million, post 2032 would require $1 Billion
  • The Gabba’s official capacities are 37,000 for AFL and 33,000 for cricket

In a a list of key findings the review made, finding 1.1 is that public perception of the Gabba is very different to the reality regarding its current situation (ie that it’s end of life is 2030 and billions are required for maintenance if kept).

Last edited:
i understand a lot of the cost associated with the gabba rebuild was to do with demolishing it in a manner that met regulations - whats the plan with this if victoria park does go ahead? its not like there would be a need for the gabba afterwards and the cost to demolish it doesnt magically disappear.
It gets sold as is and then it's the developers' responsibility to take the demolition on to their books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back