News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who follow politics what is the consensus re the State election, which party do the pundits/polling predict will win and does the result seem inevitable?
LNP very warm favourites before today. Not inevitable they win, but they are a long way ahead atm. Haven't lost an opinion poll for 11 months, the latest one was 54/46 in their favour last week and then the bi-election results on the weekend all point to them being in a strong position. I'd say today will help them too should they announce support of Quirk's plan.

Just on Miles' decision, it's an absolute disgrace and is angering that he is burning money like this. The Olympics are a chance to, at the very least, majorly enhance the city and hopefully transform it into world city. To squander that to pretty up frigging QSAC is criminal imo.

I'm a regular labor voter as well but this is nonsense and can't be supported.

Speaking as a Labor voter who despises the way the Courier Mail is a propaganda wing for the LNP… I don’t see how Miles’s bizarre proposal can be seen as anything other than a cynical and spiteful act of economic and political vandalism by a government who is about to be electorally shown the door.

He’s lost me, entirely.

For those who follow politics what is the consensus re the State election, which party do the pundits/polling predict will win and does the result seem inevitable?
LNP leading the polls. After the by-elections on the weekend (massive swings against Labor, lost one seat and close to losing Palaszczuk's old seat, but just barely retained it), it looks like an inevitable LNP victory, I've put money on that outcome.

Can't believe I agree with an LNP stance on an issue for once. I feel dirty.

Why in the absolute f*ck would you go through the process of organising an independent review, only to reject the reviews findings and instead go with the option that said review specifically outlined as being a terrible idea?

I’m a rusted on Labor voter. I will be voting for the LNP at the state election, and I feel dirty just saying that. This is next level stupid.
My whole family are rusted on, signed up Labor members and Unionists.

I’ve been voting Green lately as a protest vote, but f-me I’ll be voting Liberal at the next election if they go for a better option.

This was Brisbane’s big chance to develop a world class sport and entertainment complex which would benefit present and future generations. And it is going to finish up with a clapped out and undersized Gabba and a couple of second rate so called stadiums. Unbelievably short sighted and petty minded decision that will hold Brisbane back for the next 30 years. It is totally bewildering that some one can ignore an independent review and pluck out the worst possible option based on no logic whatsoever.

Why in the absolute f*ck would you go through the process of organising an independent review, only to reject the reviews findings and instead go with the option that said review specifically outlined as being a terrible idea?

I’m a rusted on Labor voter. I will be voting for the LNP at the state election, and I feel dirty just saying that. This is next level stupid.
Same, never voted LNP in my life and a 35 year CFMEU member but I am afraid that could all be about to change.
This is an absolutely ludicrous decision but apparently the LNP have said that if, when they take power they will put all this into the hands of an external organising committee.
It made me feel sick seeing Wally Lewis standing beside Miles * rugby league

How far will they be able to progress this before the election (ie will it be irreversible by the time the new Government comes in) and will a brand new LNP government want to be raising the issue of spending on stadiums as its first order of business (even if they say now that they'll go with the recommendations in the report)?

Those are two questions I'm not sure of the answer to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it, plus I'll add whatever their advisors have told him gives them the best chance to win the election, no long term vision whatsoever, Miles is a nincompoop.

The sad part is most of the public will see the "cheaper" option chosen headlines/clickbait and not dig down into the full story and go with that so the tactic could work.

That's why it's important to ensure people know this is the most expensive + least legacy building option.

I've got 3 scheduled text messages going out to SENQ tomorrow morning, I'm not a local so dunno what other avenues to hit up to get the word out, but I think it's imperative we do.

The sad part is most of the public will see the "cheaper" option chosen headlines/clickbait and not dig down into the full story and go with that so the tactic could work.
The big question is what way does the media swing. If it's all being reported as "cheaper option" yes, but it sounds like plenty are going with the "shortsighted" or similar option - the media synopsis will play a big part, because if it's not being summed up as cheaper then that's not what people will think of.

I drive past QSAC every day on the way to work...that is going to be a collosal nightmare on all fronts in terms of transport, parking and general high school carnival feel of the "stadium".

Also a lefty, have voted Labor/Green most of my life. Safe to say they've lost me here. After Newman gutted the public sector and sent Science and Health back into the stone age, costing the state nearly tenfold over what it saved in initial cuts, I can't bring myself to vote LNP either.

Penis on the ballot paper it is :thumbsu:

Nailed it, plus I'll add whatever their advisors have told him gives them the best chance to win the election, no long term vision whatsoever, Miles is a nincompoop.

look at that structural steel and stairs
Looking a sillier decision by the minute

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olymp...n/news-story/5a74aace7bac1174027f53c1033c91d7

Surely the Miles Gov't would have put out some feelers on their potential decision before they announced it??

Or maybe not from the looks of things....gees what a royal stuff up it is now, how can any sensible person read that and not think it is a poor outcome. Wasting 1.6b on a suburban ground that will receive little future use after the Olympics (and embarrass our city infront of the world) and leave the Gabba - which is finally recognized as nearing the end of its life - with an additional 1b needed to keep it going for 10 years and then it will need a rebuild which will probably cost another 4b by then????! Its simply ludicrous!

The liberals sure have it setup for the state election now....provide the entire city with a brand new sporting complex with the support from the Lions & CA.....at the same overall cost.....and also take credit for saving the Olympics from an international embarrassment.

All the best S5, I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.

I had 8 weeks of Chemotherapy and Radiation in 2019, I got through the Chemo not too bad but the Radiation was excruciating, particularly the last week of treatment and the ensuing couple of weeks.

Ahh 2019, the good old days, eh M Malice. I was the opposite - 26 weekly chemo sessions that weren't great (haha) and then flew through 25 radiation sessions.

But section 5 we are here, it's tough but worth it. You got this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back