News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

QSAC-2021-1.jpg

So this is the plan ? Hosting the olympics in a bush in the middle of no where in a suburb I have never heard of before today ?

Penis on the ballot paper it is :thumbsu:
That's great, but don't try and put it into the ballot box with your penis still on it. The poll workers get upset.

And league gets a stadium upgrade to 65000

I haven't been able to find this anywhere?

On another note, I skimmed through the report which really covers all venues and not anywhere does it mention a Suncorp upgrade so this was never a recommendation. This is just an idea that our current Government and Coates have from all I can see.

Do we just keep the Gabba forever? can we just keep polishing a turd once it comes to the end of it's recommended life.

Do we just keep the Gabba forever? can we just keep polishing a turd once it comes to the end of it's recommended life.

I’m not sure I saw adequate funding allocated for turd polish.

Miles is delusional, some quotes from his presser "I can guarantee you Brisbane will deliver the best Olympic Games the world has ever seen", "Suncorp Stadium (I know I am biased) is the best rectangular stadium in the world". Maybe after he gets kicked out in the next election he could get a job commentating next to Brian Taylor with grandiose sweeping statements like that. Also reckons QSAC is one of the most used stadiums in Queensland. They bought along an athlete called "Derek" and kept saying how excited he is going to be competing at QSAC.
He can barely hid his contempt for our footy club - "Suncorp Stadium is home to the Broncos and Dolphins, the Queensland Reds, the Roar (are they still alive and kicking?) and of course the Mighty Maroons.
When it came to the Gabba - "the home of AFL and Cricket." He couldn't even bring himself to call out our name.
I am in his electorate, might fire of a few emails (Andy Dufresne style) asking with all the money that they are saving is there any chance that they can fix the abortion that is the Gateway Motorway from Bracken Ridge to north of the Pine River Bridge.

I knew that there was talk about demolishing the gabba and rebuilding it... which didn't sound like a great idea. And that's about all I knew.

If I was to go to a broncos forum, would the tone of the discussion be different?

Genuinely don't know.

I've just been on Instagram spreading the word that this is actually more expensive than the Vic park proposal to anyone that will listen, in various news comments sections.

Interestingly it's I'd say 60.40 agree with us. I don't have Facebook or Twitter these days though so can't educate the unwise there, others will have to chip in.

The only ones in favour of this announcement are generally ladies of mum age or older that are celebrating the savings. That's why pointing out everywhere that this option is more expensive will help turn the tide against this ridiculous idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just been on Instagram spreading the word that this is actually more expensive than the Vic park proposal to anyone that will listen, in various news comments sections.

Interestingly it's I'd say 60.40 agree with us. I don't have Facebook or Twitter these days though so can't educate the unwise there, others will have to chip in.

The only ones in favour of this announcement are generally ladies of mum age or older that are celebrating the savings. That's why pointing out everywhere that this option is more expensive will help turn the tide against this ridiculous idea.
I’ve been doing it on Twitter and have messaged a few journalists about it being more expensive than Vic Park, there’s plenty of opposition to this plan I’ve seen.

I knew that there was talk about demolishing the gabba and rebuilding it... which didn't sound like a great idea. And that's about all I knew.

If I was to go to a broncos forum, would the tone of the discussion be different?

Genuinely don't know.
I talked to a 30+ year Bronco member at work and he was beyond shocked that Vic Park didn't get up and views QEII as a joke, having gone to Bronco games there.

Miles is delusional, some quotes from his presser "I can guarantee you Brisbane will deliver the best Olympic Games the world has ever seen", "Suncorp Stadium (I know I am biased) is the best rectangular stadium in the world". Maybe after he gets kicked out in the next election he could get a job commentating next to Brian Taylor with grandiose sweeping statements like that. Also reckons QSAC is one of the most used stadiums in Queensland. They bought along an athlete called "Derek" and kept saying how excited he is going to be competing at QSAC.
He can barely hid his contempt for our footy club - "Suncorp Stadium is home to the Broncos and Dolphins, the Queensland Reds, the Roar (are they still alive and kicking?) and of course the Mighty Maroons.
When it came to the Gabba - "the home of AFL and Cricket." He couldn't even bring himself to call out our name.
I am in his electorate, might fire of a few emails (Andy Dufresne style) asking with all the money that they are saving is there any chance that they can fix the abortion that is the Gateway Motorway from Bracken Ridge to north of the Pine River Bridge.
Absolute tosser. Is worried about losing inner city seats to Greens so come up with this cockamame proposal. It's all about politics with Labor not the best solution.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Link to the full Qld. Gov. media statement

Just a bit.
Quotes attributable to Premier Steven Miles:

“This Review was one of my very first acts as Premier of Queensland and was driven by what Queenslanders told me was important to them – bang for buck and a lasting legacy.

“No one wants to see money spent on facilities that are only needed for four weeks.

“Instead, this new direction will deliver decades of benefit to local schools, community athletics programs and Olympic and Paralympic athletes in 2032 and beyond.

“I want to thank Graham, Ken and Michelle for taking on this challenge and for their dedicated work over the last 60 days.

“My government will accept 90 per cent of the recommendations made, for the benefit of Queenslanders right around the state.

“One of their recommendations would have meant the demise of the Gabba, which is something we couldn’t accept for such a beloved venue.

“And while the concept of a new stadium at Victoria Park has merit, the uncertainty around final cost means it is unfortunately not an option.

“2032 is one of the greatest opportunities to put Brisbane and Queensland on the map and leave a legacy for generations to come.”

Quotes attributable to IOC Vice President John Coates:

“Athletics Australia will be very pleased that with a QSAC upgrade, Queensland and Australian athletics will be left with a legacy venue for the development of the sport in Queensland.

“Sydney 2000 left a competition and warm-up track legacy for athletics, a legacy missing from the London, Rio, and Tokyo Games.

“The IOC will make available its Games construction experts to advise in respect of the potential upgrades to QSAC, including specifically whether the full $1 billion of suggested upgrades are needed.”

How is QSAC a legacy project when all the added seating is immediately dismantled afterwards?

As for Miles describing the Gabba as “beloved” while announcing his plan to basically put a new lick of paint on it… pure gaslighting.

This guy is really going to piss away billions of our dollars on a proposal that will embarrass Brisbane on the global stage and leave us with essentially no legacy benefits other than the ******* Broncos being even more privileged than they already are.

Surely the AFL and Cricket QLD come out swinging tomorrow.

Last edited:
Where has it been reported that the Suncorp upgrades will cost that much?
It want costed in the review but the plan is to make it a 65k seater, that’s what the foundations of the stadium allow it to be.

But just at a ballpark figure, to go from 52k to 65k would easily be 1 Billion, and I’d say likely closer to 2 Billion seeing how much everything else is costing.

It want costed in the review but the plan is to make it a 65k seater, that’s what the foundations of the stadium allow it to be.

But just at a ballpark figure, to go from 52k to 65k would easily be 1 Billion, and I’d say likely closer to 2 Billion seeing how much everything else is costing.
So basically it's speculation. I'll wait to see an actual figure then, before agreeing that QSAC + Gabba is more costly.

Also, isn't it true that half a billion of the Gabba maintenance cost would have to be paid for Vic Park regardless, because that's the maintenance cost until 2032 according to Quirk's report?

I prefer Vic Park as an idea and have done for a long time, but I also want to have the facts right.

So basically it's speculation. I'll wait to see an actual figure then, before agreeing that QSAC + Gabba is more costly.

Also, isn't it true that half a billion of the Gabba maintenance cost would have to be paid for Vic Park regardless, because that's the maintenance cost until 2032 according to Quirk's report?

I prefer Vic Park as an idea and have done for a long time, but I also want to have the facts right.

Correct but that is just to get the Gabba up to bare minimum code for 2032, it will remain an ongoing liability afterwards. A money pit that will forever be a relic.

Of course, from Miles’s perspective, that’s a future government’s problem to solve.

Last edited:

The review says the Gabba will need $400-$500 million for maintenance up until 2032 regardless. If it was to be kept for post 2032, it would need $1 Billion extra in maintenance costs as more parts of the stadium reach end of life. So in total it will be $1.4 - $1.5 Billion for Gabba maintenance under this new plan from Miles.

The review says the Gabba will need $400-$500 million for maintenance up until 2032 regardless. If it was to be kept for post 2032, it would need $1 Billion extra in maintenance costs as more parts of the stadium reach end of life. So in total it will be $1.4 - $1.5 Billion for Gabba maintenance under this new plan from Miles.
Sure, all I'm saying is that tweet failed to account for the $500 million in the Vic Park plan cost. It also involves the Gabba sticking around until 2032.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back