Gazza steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

As a "god botherer" Swallow led North to back to back prelim finals in 2014 and 15 and a 9-0 start to 2016. Being religious or not shouldn't make you a better or worse captain

Yeah - but did Swallow do this in the change rooms ?

bacb0359b47fc18a1008c6aca6949e38

Lynch is ready for the job full time and I'm not surprised at all with Ablett's decision to step down, he is ageing and so is his body after carrying the Suns for a few years. Your main captain playing a total of around 20 games in the last 2 seasons isn't ideal.

Yeah - but did Swallow do this in the change rooms ?

In his private time before the game I know he does for certain. Not as outspoken as Garry is about his faith but.

To be honest I think Garry was the captain Gold Coast needed at its inception but he had to many young guys on the list who weren't interested in towing the party line, I'm not talking about religion but I'm talking about the professionalism of being an AFL footballer and not getting too sucked into the the sun, surf, parties and girls lifestyle of the GC. At least two of the originals have been moved on and one continues to bring up problems at his new club but I digress.

I'm really at a loss with Gary Ablett. seems like a nice bloke, the suns made a million dollar investment in him and he wanted to skip his end of the bargain and head back home. Return to geelong, return home finnish off his career, get the pat on the back for the fairytale ending

I do agree with decision, his captaincy has been under the spotlight for a couple of years now. Gold Coast have plenty of young leaders to take the reins.

Has been a bad move for both player and club and maybe he's now just trying to salvage what's left of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his private time before the game I know he does for certain. Not as outspoken as Garry is about his faith but.

To be honest I think Garry was the captain Gold Coast needed at its inception but he had to many young guys on the list who weren't interested in towing the party line, I'm not talking about religion but I'm talking about the professionalism of being an AFL footballer and not getting too sucked into the the sun, surf, parties and girls lifestyle of the GC. At least two of the originals have been moved on and one continues to bring up problems at his new club but I digress.

They cocked up in that none of their senior players were leaders.

Ablett may have been ok as a public face captain but who else was there with a crew of 50 18-year-old kids? Jared Brennan? Campbell Brown? Christ...

Compare it to GWS and their recruitment of the likes of Power, McDonald, Cornes, Brogan... probably largely finished as footballers but a group of leaders.

A rookie coach and Sheeds are probably the two most polar opposites you could get as well.

Campbell brown on the money with this one.
Where did Cambell Brown predict he would relinquish the captaincy?

In any case, given Gaz asked to be traded, it's hardly a surprise.

But yeah, Campbell Brown, what a hero! :rolleyes:

With Gary's injuries and Tom Lynch stepping up to the plate, most Suns supporters could have told you months ago it would be Gary's last season as captain.

Discussed in September but delays releasing that tidbit because "hey, don't want to captain this ship anymore and while we are at it, how about giving me a trade back to Geelong"

Credit where credit is due, he well and truly earnt his money in the first couple of years but * me, doesn't he come off sounding like a spoilt brat these days

He willingly signed a new contract for three years in 2015 at apparently a mil a year so why he thought they would release him is beyond me.

Screw him. Money hungry dirtbag! Would've been set up for life staying at Geelong but, naaaaaa has to let the AFL community know what contract a club is willing to hand over for his services. Absolute ego maniac with manners is what he is. Zero reason for him to leave Geelong and would've been financially secure for life. So why did he leave Geelong.....epic ego and will regret it for the rest of his life.

Even had to go to USA when Cats were in the GF. Garry counting his cash while his mates were doing everything they dreamed of as kids......huge games at the G, finals and hopefully Flags. You want to talk about Jesus.....well Gaz sold his soul. It is shake your head stuff.

He'd be the goat if he stayed at Geelong. I can't believe he chased money knowing his "club" would be useless for at least 3-4 years. For all his grace on the footy field, he really made some poor decisions and wasn't the best leader. Hodge made one of the best careers in history out of leadership, loyalty and timing himself for grand finals because he can't do it every week unlike pfd, pendles, etc.

Screw him. Money hungry dirtbag! Would've been set up for life staying at Geelong but, naaaaaa has to let the AFL community know what contract a club is willing to hand over for his services. Absolute ego maniac with manners is what he is. Zero reason for him to leave Geelong and would've been financially secure for life. So why did he leave Geelong.....epic ego and will regret it for the rest of his life.

Even had to go to USA when Cats were in the GF. Garry counting his cash while his mates were doing everything they dreamed of as kids......huge games at the G, finals and hopefully Flags. You want to talk about Jesus.....well Gaz sold his soul. It is shake your head stuff.

Mr Emotional indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back