Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

When your leadership group includes players like Smith, Keays, ROB and Murphy, it's no surprise to see at least one of these guys making a crucial error late in games.
Half the leadership group are whipping boys, throw in Fog, Hinge and Milera who at times can be very inconsistent, it's a very uninspiring group.

The answer is to increase the size of the leadership group.

Once it’s up to about 17 players, it should be almost foolproof.

Just mention this because it reminds me of Ben Keays, it was either F1 or Moto GP and there had been some kind of crash and one driver went into the pits and said to an opponent "your ambition outweighs your talent".
Dirty Harry always said "A man has got to know his limitations"

Limitations are OK if you recognise what they are and how to work around them.

Absolutely. We screw it up ourselves without the needing to blame someone else.

People need to accept we screwed the pooch ourselves.

This article says all we need to know - in pressure situations some individuals can’t handle it and don’t think

This is the best analysis of the Crows i have seen!

Nicks needs a schooling

Kane Cornes is a twerp but he made a point of mentioning that the mistakes were coming from the leadership group. I'm sure it'll be ignored internally but any external heat on our leadership choices is a good thing.
When Keays, Smith and ROB are the vice captains you know your in trouble.

Remember Carey being asked once how he felt about Jakovich breaking even with him, or maybe even having a slight edge over him, and he said something along the lines of:

“When I dominated him I was marking the ball, scoring goals, bringing other players into the game and getting 25 touches. When he dominated me he was…..spoiling.”

Perhaps repeat late in the game several times to watch what we did wrong so we don't repeat the same decision errors again

Watch what the Pies do.
Or get them to read this.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bingo. Of course Rob will fall on his arse when trying to snap a goal from 50. Of course Keays will ignore everyone and try a miracle goal.

It's not quite the same but it reminds of Sando's (I think) mantra of "Under pressure we don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our standards."

Those are the standards for those players. When the heat is on they will revert to type. And our Achilles heel is that we have far too many players you want nowhere near the ball in the last 3 minutes of a close game.
It's the fact that the club persists with these players for multiple seasons thinking they will somehow change there ways over time that frustrates the hell out of me. Its not the players fault. It's in there DNA they just dont perform under extreme pressure. Lots of people fold under pressure, but in an elite sport you just can't have these types in your side if you are serious. They will lose you the close ones more often than not and we have at least half a dozen on our list that Kojak keeps backing in.

When your leadership group includes players like Smith, Keays, ROB and Murphy, it's no surprise to see at least one of these guys making a crucial error late in games.
Half the leadership group are whipping boys, throw in Fog, Hinge and Milera who at times can be very inconsistent, it's a very uninspiring group.
At least Murph had the good sense not to get the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer is to increase the size of the leadership group.

Once it’s up to about 17 players, it should be almost foolproof.
I say we go the other way. 1 man leadership group. And we make him the sub for maximum impact.

Conversely we did pepper the Bombers defensive 50 in the dying stages but that was more the exception than the norm
That's only because the bombers had kicked the clutch in about 5-6 minutes before time. I hate how that game ended and I hate Essendon generally as cheaters who still deny their crime. But they were definately better than us in that last 5 minutes. They found a way to get the points. We didn't.

At least Murph had the good sense not to get the ball

I get the joke here.....but...

Murphy might be a lot of things, low skill base the big issue, but he is pretty smart.

I know he copped a bit for that goal assist to Fog. He knew his limitations there. No way he has the skills to kick that goal.

Although he made the correct decision. The fact he does not have the skill to kick that goal is a reason he should not be in the AFL side.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rankine lack of bouncing the ball was not the reason for our loss nor the umpires call.

It was once again we didn't have enough players who knew how to ice the game once we hit the lead. Too many made poor decisions when the game was on the line.

There are 1000s of different things we could have done in the final moments so we can't blame the umpires at all. That still doesn't change the fact that Rankine should have bounced the ball though and that did trigger the umpires call.

There are 1000s of different things we could have done in the final moments so we can't blame the umpires at all. That still doesn't change the fact that Rankine should have bounced the ball though and that did trigger the umpires call.
Collingwood kicked 6 in a row. Happens too often with nicks.

We were 6 goals behind. Happens too often with nicks.

Isnt that the common trend? In a majority (not all) of games we have spent a fair portion of the game chasing it. Usually because we spend the time trying to play kick and catch and control possession while the other team attacks at will. We then somehow try and flick a switch and come out and attack as we attempt to get back into the game. Gold Coast, Geelong, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane, Collingwood all seem to have a variation of that pattern.

Usually because we spend the time trying to play kick and catch and control possession while the other team attacks at will. We then somehow try and flick a switch and come out and attack as we attempt to get back into the game. Gold Coast, Geelong, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane, Collingwood all seem to have a variation of that pattern.
This pattern has been a key feature of Nicks' tenure.
At first, it was caused by the Crows being $hit and getting behind quickly/easily.

Now it seems to be a product of:
--- sluggish starts**, which suggests they are not mentally prepared early on (that's on Nicks), or
--- starting with the Nicks' slowdown, chip-chip, defensive, possession game plan which looks to me like another Nicks fail ==> 0-4 down.
** re: sluggish starts, when did we start with a multiple-goal dominant burst? Last year vs Carlton?

I'd venture that the patches of positive and dynamic footy that we do play are player-driven, as if the actual on-field leaders say "Frick this defensive $hit, let's GO FOR IT!!" until Nicks slows them down again (inexplicably, usually in red time).
It would not surprise me if Keays' move to Pendlebury came on-field from Dawson. After all, it was Dawson's idea to suggest to Nicks that he play as a mid <== if we ever needed proof back then of Nick's unimaginative incompetence, there it is.
After we got ahead with 7.19 on the clock left which was actually about 10 minutes of play with time-on --- plenty can happen in 10 minutes, look how PA kicked 2 goals in half a minute or so to snatch the win vs. Hawthorn --- I'd have been happy if the Crows gave it everything to add another couple goals and not try to defend a slender lead.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe the Jekyll-and-Hyde, fall-behind-catch-up footy that the Crows play is all a part of Nicks' long-term
:glowingstar:Grand Plan:glowingstar: to make them a team which can turn on goal-hammering bursts with the ability to go defensive if the opposition gets a run-on.
Could that be it? :confusedv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back