• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Montagna was hyping Dawson up pretty hard today. Saying if he was Bont or Petracca all the pundits would be calling him Superman for the game he put on. Also said he should seriously be considered as the AA captain. Even Kornes said he deserved the 3 votes

I saw some Collingwood fan praising Macrae for picking up garbage on the field after the game and my first thought was "he only has to do that cause you *s constantly throw trash through the game".
He was picking up Dawson's teeth.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can the umpiring department ever admit fault without blaming something or minimising it?

They are spineless and act with the zero accountability the AFL has created for them.

"We got that decision wrong BUT our view was impeded"

No.

They got the decision wrong BECAUSE their view was impeded. Positioning is part of umpiring. It's their fault they couldn't see the free and the blame is entirely on them for not being in the correct position, not on some mystery force impeding them from doing their job.

The umpiring department's excuse after excuse is why the umpiring is pathetically bad. Own up to the mistake, take full responsibility, don't blame, improve, move on

That kicking in danger one was bad! We were sitting up on the 4th level and it was clear as mad. Could not believe it wasnt paid!!
They honestly never seem to pay it anymore, it’s not just us that cop it, I’ve seen it in plenty of games this year unfortunately. It feels like I could count on one hand how many times they would pay it in a season, but it happens a heck of a lot more than that!

We also had more scoring shots in both games. The lesson is..stop kicking points from simple set shots
Collingwood missed some easy set shots as well e.g. Cameron from 20 metres out with almost no angle. Pedlar’s early miss was just as bad, but other than that it felt a lot of our set shots were from tough positions and then there were quite a few rushed as kicks fell short.

I dunno, i've been told off by a few people on Twitter for daring to say anything negative about such a brave and proud performance. Definitely plenty of people breaking the Walsh rule of there not being honourable losses on other platforms.
Why does it matter what we think? Nicks has said the players aren’t accepting it, that’s all that matters.

Couple of thoughts from somebody who went to the game with three neutral supporters accompanying me:

They actually thought the umpiring was more ridiculous than I did. I wasn't really too bothered by it, apart from the way holding the man calls were adjudicated. I think this is as much a function of the introduction of 4 umpires and removes consistency of adjudication by the umpires (and increases risk of bias to crowd noise etc.) But those with me were amused and a bit angry at how bad the umpiring was. When you saw the Rankine goal on the big screen in the MCG you say to yourself "probably a goal but what are you gonna do" and you move on as the game moves on so quickly. Maybe I've become deeply nihilistic about it all. I didn't expect to see a free kick all day and was surprised to get any. My friends also thought the Dawson free was there, the play was moving so fast I thought maybe he'd fallen over. Shrug.

I was pretty disappointed to see after the game that Daicos admitted negotiating with the umpires for that 50. Certainly a lot of time passed and it looked like they were having a chat before they made any decision. Changing umpiring decisions based on personality was, I thought, something that died with WG Grace. And I don't quite think Nick has the charisma or record to demand it.

Re: poor kicking - a lot of those guys haven't played more than 2 or 3 games at the MCG. It's a different beast sizing up those goals in a cauldron that big. The wind doesn't move like it does at any other ground. When we talk about wanting to play more games at the MCG for the experience, kicking at goal is a huge part of that experience. Surprise surprise, it was Tex with proven MCG experience who showed them how it was done. Rachele and Rankine will be all the better for having played there. Next year our top priority is (still) MCG games. 65k was a good turn out. If you schedule us there, we will turn up.

Re: players-
Really telling to watch Sholl in a close game. Looked lost and not up to it. Not as bad as Hampton on the same deck a few years ago, but close to it. Career sealing (ending) game.
Worrell and Michalanney, wonderful stuff. On a stage that big against good opposition they both beat their direct opponents time and time again.
Dawson deserves 5 Brownlow votes. Give the remaining single vote to Daicos, but Dawson was transcendent out there yesterday. Should be AA captain - streets ahead of Moore.
Tex 5 goals on Moore, should again be AA and probably won't be.
Thought Nicks showed better coaching on the day.
I stuck around after the final siren for a while to see how the players looked. No dropped heads but great disappointment. I think they'll take a lot from that. Second youngest team in the AFL - six months from now we win that game by 5 goals.

Addition: I see now the AFL has conceded it should have been a free kick to Dawson. Nothing we can do with that but hope they admit that the 4 umpires project has delivered none of the supposed benefits. Also a great time to remind everyone you know that the "right in front of me" guy wasnt a crows fan, as pies nuffies seem obsessed with that gif.
David King was very complimentary of Nicks adjusting at half time yesterday to go with a short kick/handball type game and not just the ‘kick long’ option first. Said it can expose Collingwood due to the way they play and put them in no man’s land at times if a team like us can execute it well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I almost feel sorry for Norf.. after getting screwed over yesterday, we’ll be out for blood this weekend coming. Could get ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As an example of the atrocious umpiring bias, I recall an incident in the second or third quarter when a Crows player tackled a Collingwood player and it was a ball-up, and mere seconds later a Collingwood player tackled one of ours in identical circumstances and it was paid holding the ball. It's extremely inconsistent, yet predictable - the home side gets the frees, especially when it's Victorian but not when the home side is us.
Just like when rankine threw the ball yeah ? We can pick and choose all day if you want. If you were good enough you win.

I never think we will have an easy win, my life as a crows supporter since day dot has taught me otherwise.
Prelim final 1998 was as easy as I could remember, I was there and maybe because 1997 was so close this match seemed won at half time and crows stretched the lead each quarter.

Just like when rankine threw the ball yeah ? We can pick and choose all day if you want. If you were good enough you win.
If you were making a similar comparison to the above poster it would need to be a collingwood player getting pinged for a throw at around the same time by the same umpire.
We all realize different calls get made across the game by different umpires.

Are we waiting to hear the response of other non-calls that Adelaide questioned? or did we just question the Dawson high contact?

Back