Analysis Geelong Cats Season Launch - Questions for Miers + other players

Remove this Banner Ad

I can just see me approaching several shorter brunettes and whispering "...ahem...hello kitty?" and getting slapped! I'll try anyway.
Such a shame we missed one another! But I was the only Brunette with shoes in Geelong navy + white Hoops ;)

I had the privilege of meeting Lana - it's alway great to put a face to a name + to meet those with whom we enjoy footy + our might Geelong Cats.

The evening began with pre-dinner drinks with the players. Lana + I introduced ourselves to Gryan Miers + we met his other sponsor, Ryan. Gryan is a very grounded guy, with an older head than his 18 years + am very impressed with his confident, well-spoken, easy going nature. I think he gives the impression of being a quiet achiever. Found him very open + he happily answered our questions.

Ask him what his dad said after reading the quote about him being a "mad scientist".
Gryan just laughed, said his Dad IS a mad scientist.

Ask him how many goals he has set as his target to reach for the year?
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Boxhead_31
Gryan said he'll just be happy if he can get some games this year, so he's focusing on making the team.

Ask him when he's going to cut his hair and start looking like a footballer.
Lana spoke to him about his hair + I'll leave him to reveal Gryan's response

Ask him who his favourite Backstreet Boy is.
Backstreet Boys are not one of his favourites. However, Gryan said he loves all music, from Classical to Rock to Metal to . . .all music.

He has a unique setshot kick , sort of a side saddle , irish football kicking style... did he ever try to change it or did decide to just practise the method that was the most natural..?
Gryan replied that he chose to stay with his natural kicking style.

What key performance indicators and data metrics are valued highly inside an AFL football club that don't get talked about in the media? What role does analytics-based feedback play in the coaching he receives? Can he name some Champion Data metrics the general public wouldn't know about that are commonly used by the coaching staff to assist the players?
Gryan adores stats! I asked him about his stats + the team stats + the role they play. However, deferred to Lana, who was in his element with Gryan + talking stats. Really enjoyed watching these two immersed in their stats conversation. Lana is in the best position to reply to your question Baudolino.

A few of football related questions:

- growing up, who were his football idols?
- did he model his game on any particular player/s?
- does he have any senior player/s acting as mentor? (This is from stuff I've read previously about the newbies having been paired up with a mentor. I can remember it being said that after Blicavs arrived that Taylor was his mentor, so curious to see if they still do that)

And for fun, who will be the captain in 5 years time?
Gryan was a Brisbane Lions fan growing up + his favourite player was Jason Akermanis + would love to play like him. I asked him if he was aware there was a rumour that Matthew Scarlett was going to used as 'trade bait' to recruit Jason Akermanis to Geelong? Gryan was unaware of the rumour, but quite delighted at the idea of Aker at Geelong.
We also talked about the other Lions' premiership players + Gryan remembers the Scott twins, is excited to be coached by Chris; the brilliance of Voss; Gryan also said he loved other players like Black + Lynch.

No, cats_09, the Kittens don't have mentors. Gryan said they train as a group, forwards + practise skills, then spend time with players. Gryan has been training + skills with Ablett, Hawkins + Menzel. He was pretty excited as he was telling Lana + me. Enright is the forward coach.
Boxhead_31 ^^^

Does he know much about the lineage of #32...
The hair should stay.... its got some Budda qualities to it...
Also, who at the club if anyone is he mentoring with and what is the one key thing he's learned since being at GFC?
GO Catters
This was another area of huge excitement for Gryan. Must admit, it was charming to see him quite bashful about wearing #32, perhaps the tiniest glimmer of daunt, but mostly great pride. We teased Gryan a little about Buddha being a Geelong Cult Hero + about him becoming the next Geelong Cult Hero. dazbroncos - Lana told Gryan that the hair has to stay, Gryan nodded + said something about it's the only way he can control it.

Save yourself a lot of time and ask him first up is he allowed to engage in football related discussions,and then move quickly to do you have a dog,what's its name, who does it barrack for?
I asked Gryan if he has pets, yes, two dogs - one Border Collie + a Shitzu, when I asked if they barracked for Geelong Cats, Gryan said "OF COURSE!!!"

Ask him if he reads Big Footy
Tell him to stay away from Big Footy game day threads
EFA
Lana might like to reply to this. . .
Gryan seemed to know that Big Footy is a footy forum, but when I suggested he make a profile, not using GM obviously, he said he wouldn't be lol

Is his hope to become a MF or remain as a small forward and just concentrate on that?
Go Catters
As stated previously, Gryan is focusing on improving his skills + the only thing he really, really wants atm is to make the team + will be stoke to get some games. When I expressed my delight for his first goal, Gryan was so adorable, said he went a bit off for a while, 'but then I came back'. I just cannot tell you all enough about what a terrific guy he is! Huge kudos for us to sponsor him! He is full on leadership quality. He's just such a sweetie too.

O'conner whoops
Lana + I met Mark O'Connor

Nice job..perhaps I should have give a couple of follow up questions... like why etc ..and what he thinks about SJs goals .. around the corner etc.. In fact id say it SJ type player that he reminds me off... I can see a couple of magic goals and a couple of "whatthe.." in the future ... which from my pov I love. I prefer the artist than the robot

Some pix

Gryan Miers.jpg
Gryan Miers - you can see what a terrific guy he is from his expression, well, I think so.

Kerry + Gryan Miers.jpg
Very proud Mum, Kerry Griers with Gryan

Mark O'Connor with Aaron Lana.jpg
Lana with Mark O'Connor

Parfitt - Me - Kelly.jpg
Brandan Parfitt, your's truly + Tim Kelly - both utterly delightful guys

Stephen Wells - Me - Aaron Lana - Gryan Miers.jpg
The marvellous Stephen Wells, me, Lana + Gryan Miers

Nice job..perhaps I should have give a couple of follow up questions... like why etc ..and what he thinks about SJs goals .. around the corner etc.. In fact id say it SJ type player that he reminds me off... I can see a couple of magic goals and a couple of "whatthe.." in the future ... which from my pov I love. I prefer the artist than the robot

I will ask him ^^^ if I see Gryan tomorrow

Thanks Kitty for taking not only the time for a write up but to also think of us and the questions we gave.

Much appreciated
It was my pleasure + I think I may say, Lana's pleasure too - we had a fantastic night. It was lovely to meet Lana, who's a poster I respect + a gentleman with the same wonderful personality IRL.

I'm still pinching myself that I won the ticket to the Launch! I've always wanted to go to a Season Launch, but to be there for 'The Return' was especially thrilling!

Was fortunate enough to spend about ten minutes with Gaz, who is just THE MOST amazing guy!

One thing I regret is not taking enough photos, between Lana + me, the excitement-oh!-meter was at breaking point, so I just forgot about pix.

Oh! Huge thing I forgot to say!

Lana + I sat at Gryan Miers' table, BUT, we also had Cockatoo with us! Now, where do I begin? He as added so much bulk, I think he said about six kilos! Looking also*******lutely ripped!

Another gorgeous, open guy. Said he hasn't been training with the main group, but he's a definite for Rd1. Dr Kitty asked if he was doing any swimming, was really shocked that they don't use swimming for rehab! I've done more ACLs than Menzel + swimming was a huge part of my rehab. I'm astounded!!!

The other lovely thing with Cockatoo was that he remembered me as one of the BF sponsors, from the GWS game.

Fantastic write-up Hell Kitty.

I wish it had occurred to me to suggest some questions about Chris Scott's coaching style; it would have been great to get some insights in to how the responsibilities are delegated among the coaching staff and to get an insiders perspective of the Chris Scott approach to coaching, development, training, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who couldn't attend it was money well spent ;).

It was so overwhelming to see these guys off the field. Everyone is a lot bigger in person, even Zac Guthrie.

Pre-event there was a meet and greet for sponsors and their players but there was plenty of time to chat with a bunch of players. Brian Cook and even Steven Wells made an appearance, chatting to him was a highlight of the night.

For all those hoping for a changed gameplan, Scott didn't seem like he rated Richmond in his speech(didn't mention them directly but spoke how its wrong to focus on the time that won) and Duncan spoke about small tweaks to the gameplan more then a large change. Fogarty is an absolute natural public speaker.

It was great to meet Hello Kitty in person, she is an absolute riot.

Biggest regret was that I couldn't track down #Waybill, someone wanted Padraig Lucey but they'll have to settle for Mark O'Connor

Fantastic write-up Hell Kitty.

I wish it had occurred to me to suggest some questions about Chris Scott's coaching style; it would have been great to get some insights in to how the responsibilities are delegated among the coaching staff and to get an insiders perspective of the Chris Scott approach to coaching, development, training, etc.
Thanks Baudolino, I'm still pretty excited!

Well, Lana had a quiet, very subtle word with Scott ;)

I had a few minutes with Tuohy + Stewart, asked them about over-handballing, asked them to tell the 'PTB' to stop ******* handballing so much. Both burst out laughing, then nodded furiously! It was hilarious. Tuohy said, "I know! It's crazy". So two players who are aware of it, or who were very good actors, agreeing + being polite.

I had the privilege of meeting Lana - it's alway great to put a face to a name + to meet those with whom we enjoy footy + our might Geelong Cats.

The evening began with pre-dinner drinks with the players. Lana + I introduced ourselves to Gryan Miers + we met his other sponsor, Ryan. Gryan is a very grounded guy, with an older head than his 18 years + am very impressed with his confident, well-spoken, easy going nature. I think he gives the impression of being a quiet achiever. Found him very open + he happily answered our questions.

Gryan just laughed, said his Dad IS a mad scientist.

Boxhead_31
Gryan said he'll just be happy if he can get some games this year, so he's focusing on making the team.

Lana spoke to him about his hair + I'll leave him to reveal Gryan's response

Backstreet Boys are not one of his favourites. However, Gryan said he loves all music, from Classical to Rock to Metal to . . .all music.

Gryan replied that he chose to stay with his natural kicking style.

Gryan adores stats! I asked him about his stats + the team stats + the role they play. However, deferred to Lana, who was in his element with Gryan + talking stats. Really enjoyed watching these two immersed in their stats conversation. Lana is in the best position to reply to your question Baudolino.

Gryan was a Brisbane Lions fan growing up + his favourite player was Jason Akermanis + would love to play like him. I asked him if he was aware there was a rumour that Matthew Scarlett was going to used as 'trade bait' to recruit Jason Akermanis to Geelong? Gryan was unaware of the rumour, but quite delighted at the idea of Aker at Geelong.
We also talked about the other Lions' premiership players + Gryan remembers the Scott twins, is excited to be coached by Chris; the brilliance of Voss; Gryan also said he loved other players like Black + Lynch.

No, cats_09, the Kittens don't have mentors. Gryan said they train as a group, forwards + practise skills, then spend time with players. Gryan has been training + skills with Ablett, Hawkins + Menzel. He was pretty excited as he was telling Lana + me. Enright is the forward coach.
Boxhead_31 ^^^

This was another area of huge excitement for Gryan. Must admit, it was charming to see him quite bashful about wearing #32, perhaps the tiniest glimmer of daunt, but mostly great pride. We teased Gryan a little about Buddha being a Geelong Cult Hero + about him becoming the next Geelong Cult Hero. dazbroncos - Lana told Gryan that the hair has to stay, Gryan nodded + said something about it's the only way he can control it.

I asked Gryan if he has pets, yes, two dogs - one Border Collie + a Shitzu, when I asked if they barracked for Geelong Cats, Gryan said "OF COURSE!!!"

Lana might like to reply to this. . .
Gryan seemed to know that Big Footy is a footy forum, but when I suggested he make a profile, not using GM obviously, he said he wouldn't be lol

As stated previously, Gryan is focusing on improving his skills + the only thing he really, really wants atm is to make the team + will be stoke to get some games. When I expressed my delight for his first goal, Gryan was so adorable, said he went a bit off for a while, 'but then I came back'. I just cannot tell you all enough about what a terrific guy he is! Huge kudos for us to sponsor him! He is full on leadership quality. He's just such a sweetie too.

Lana + I met Mark O'Connor
Great write up Kitty thanks for you efforts:thumbsu:

Thanks for the write ups/reports Hello Kitty, Lana & nbashan - it's always great to read the feedback and see photos from those who attend the launch event.

And a big thank you for asking those questions because it was good to get some insight into different players directly from the player rather than a profile write-up in the paper or footy record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back