VFLW Geelong Cats VFLW 2021 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 13 VFLW Team
In:
S. Elsworthy, S. DeGiacomi, M. Maguire, M. Keryk, M. Boyd, C. Leonard, M. Skinner

Out: O. Barber, G. Clarke, S. Van De Heuvel, S. Williams

Backs58. B. Beckley26. M. Boyd38. T. Meissner
Half Backs46. J. Foley32. B. Pratt45. M. Keryk
Centreline 12. R. Garing
Half Forwards60. C. Gunjaca42. A. Johnson31. J. Woollett
Forwards7. M. Maguire13. O. Fuller40. T. Smith
Followers1. R. Caris4. D. Moloney18. L. Gardiner
Interchange35. S. Elsworthy47. C. Leonard55. P. Sheppard
20. M. Skinner39. T. Tatlock
Emergencies36. S. DeGiacomi33. N. French29. C. Remmos

Don't know about having Boyd at full back, most likely on Phoebe McWilliams. Pretty strong midfield though.

Good to see Skinner getting a game after not pulling on the hoops during the AFLW season

Also promising to see Remmos as an emergency as she's been out injured

Noticed this on Twitter from earlier. Not surprising really from the "unsociable" Hawks.

Funny thing was apparently she was hit late and got a free and 50m penalty and goaled at the half time siren, and we won by that margin. Sucked in Hawks!

They've actually uploaded the stats on the VFL app early. Here's some key stats from today's game...

AFLW listed players:

Laura Gardiner - 33 possessions, 4 tackles, 1 goal.
Darcy Moloney - 29 possessions, 8 tackles, 1 goal.
Renee Garing - 20 possessions, 10 tackles.
Rene Caris - 15 possessions, 20 hitouts.

VFLW listed players:

Annabel Johnson - 17 possessions, 5 tackles.
Jess Foley - 16 possessions, 7 marks, 3 tackles.
Claudia Gunjaca - 13 possessions, 7 tackles.
Tamara Smith - 13 possessions, 7 tackles.
Olivia Fuller - 11 possessions, 5 tackles, 15 hitouts.
Paige Sheppard - 9 possessions, 3 tackles, 1 goal.

If one of Gardiner or Moloney (or both) can replicate their VFLW form in the new AFLW season, we might have found someone to fill the void left by Liv Purcell leaving for the Dees, or at the very least soften the blow somewhat.

Out of interest, did anyone see the game - and in particular, how Caris went?

Given O'Connor's retired, she's shaping to be our #1 ruck and seemed a long way off last season. Good to see she's getting her hands on the ball a bit, but hard to judge just by stats alone.

Out of interest, did anyone see the game - and in particular, how Caris went?

Given O'Connor's retired, she's shaping to be our #1 ruck and seemed a long way off last season. Good to see she's getting her hands on the ball a bit, but hard to judge just by stats alone.

I didn't see the game - I don't think it was being livestreamed, and crowds weren't able to attend either.

Speaking of the ruck, I wonder if we'll be looking at Olivia Fuller as a potential draft target. She's been averaging 9 possessions, 3 tackles and 10 hitouts a game at VFLW level as a back-up to Caris, Liv Barber and Jess Foley.

Alas, it wasn't to be. Port Melbourne kicked 7.7 to 1.0 after quarter time to run out easy winners.

We need to hope Hawthorn do us a solid and beat Port next week, and hope we don't lose by too much to the Pies who are currently undefeated with a percentage of 292%. We did get within 2 points of them in Round 1 though, and had more scoring shots, so we may be able to mimic our AFL side a decade ago and smash them in the last round, and then again later on in the finals. ;)

Carlton might've done enough to sneak into 6th spot too after they pipped the Saints and the Bulldogs lost yesterday. They just need to win against 2nd last Williamstown next week and they're in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If one of Gardiner or Moloney (or both) can replicate their VFLW form in the new AFLW season, we might have found someone to fill the void left by Liv Purcell leaving for the Dees, or at the very least soften the blow somewhat.

Haven't seen that much of Moloney. But Gardiner looks like a real player to me. I think, with a little more size and experience, she will be a very influential mid for us for years to come. Finds the ball and uses it well. I could see her having a very big season for us in the AFLW next year.

Purcell is a big loss, I admit. But it's not as if the cupboard is totally bare in terms of quality prospects coming through to bolster the mids group in the seasons to come.

Last edited:
This week's matches

VFLW ROUND 14

Saturday June 26

Darebin v Essendon, Bill Lawry Oval, 12pm
Collingwood v Geelong, Victoria Park, 12pm
Western Bulldogs v Casey Demons, VU Whitten Oval, 1pm

Sunday June 27
Southern Saints v North Melbourne, Wilson Storage Trevor Barker Oval, 12pm
Hawthorn v Port Melbourne, Box Hill City Oval, 11am
Williamstown v Carlton, Downer Oval, 1pm

Haven't seen that much of Moloney. But Gardiner looks like a real player to me. I think, with a little more size and experience, she will be a very influential mid for us for years to come. Finds the ball and uses it well. I could see her having a very big season for us in the AFLW next year.

Purcell is a big loss, I admit. But it's not as if the cupboard is totally bare in terms of quality prospects coming through to bolster the mids group in the seasons to come.

She quickly established herself as one of my favourites late last year - even in her first game in which she barely touched the ball (and after which one supporter on this board wrote her off), she bodylined an important ball on half-back and saved a certain goal through sheer game-awareness.
Plays an oddly calm style of game.

She quickly established herself as one of my favourites late last year - even in her first game in which she barely touched the ball (and after which one supporter on this board wrote her off), she bodylined an important ball on half-back and saved a certain goal through sheer game-awareness.
Plays an oddly calm style of game.

Good comment, that. Despite her lack of imposing physical stature, she doesn't look at all overawed about going up against seasoned opponents and bigger bodies. I figure this will hold her in really good stead as she matures physically in years to come.

Probably won't ever be the flashiest player going around. But I get the impression she will be one of those footballers who absolutely gets the most out of her skill set and works really effectively with that. And, given decision making and execution have been massive weaknesses across our team in the early years, her strengths in these areas should really boost the group.

Very keen to watch her progression in the coming season, let alone the years after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back