VFLW Geelong Cats VFLW 2021 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Saints kicked the only goal into the wind to go 12 points up, we've kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes to put our nose in front deep into the last term, 5.10.40 to 5.5.35.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crazy scenes at Williamstown are currently leading Darebin despite not having kicked a goal. Scores are currently 0.8.8 to 1.0.6 sometime in the 2nd half.

It's currently 0.9.9 to 1.0.6 at 3/4 time in that match at Port Gellibrand. No doubt it's blowing a gale straight across the ground there like it normally does.

Williamstown's goal in the last quarter was their first goal in 3 weeks. They lost 71-2 to the Pies a fortnight ago, and lost 59-0 last week to Casey.

Good article about one of our VFLW listed players on the AFL website. I wonder if she could be one of the mature aged players in the AFL Barwon region we pick up for the AFLW side.

TIME away from her hometown of Geelong set up Claudia Gunjaca for the next phase of her footballing career in the VFLW.

Moving to Sydney to continue her studies at UTS saw Gunjaca join UTS AFC Bats in 2019 to make some friends in a new city. She never thought it would end with her winning the Mostyn Medal, AFL Sydney's highest honour, just one year later.

"I was ecstatic, I never thought that I was in the running, so it was pretty crazy," Gunjaca recalls.

"To see my name up with a few girls who played for the GWS Giants in particular, who are very talented players, it was awesome to see my name up there as well."

Good article about one of our VFLW listed players on the AFL website. I wonder if she could be one of the mature aged players in the AFL Barwon region we pick up for the AFLW side.

Based on her training with the AFLW squad over summer, would think she's in with a good chance

We've played 4 matches so far this VFL season and in each of those matches Fort has been named either BOG or listed as 2nd in the bests

Surely it's time to give him a run in the seniors

Interesting that Okunbor got named - hopefully that's based on performance and not lucky dip!

And yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Fort get a call-up, especially after Thursday.

(P.S. Is this in the wrong thread?)

We've played 4 matches so far this VFL season and in each of those matches Fort has been named either BOG or listed as 2nd in the bests

Surely it's time to give him a run in the seniors

Don't think he's available for the VFLW side though. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder why our game is always the last one to be updated with the player stats on the VFL app.

They've uploaded all the stats for all the other games which were played on Saturday but ours, even though our game was the first one to finish.

Stats are finally up! Pick of the key stats winners:

AFLW listed players:

Laura Gardiner - 26 possessions, 8 tackles.
Bec Webster - 25 possessions, 12 tackles.
Darcy Moloney - 18 possessions, 3 tackles.
Sophie Van De Heuvel - 18 possessions, 2 tackles, 0.2.
Renee Garing - 16 possessions, 11 tackles.
Olivia Barber - 15 possessions, 20 hit-outs, 1 goal.

VFLW listed players:

Tamara Smith - 17 possessions, 7 tackles, 0.3.
Claudia Gunjaca - 15 possessions, 3 tackles, 1 goal.
Paige Sheppard - 15 possessions, 3 tackles.
Theresia Meissner - 12 possessions, 2 tackles.
Breanna Pratt - 12 possessions, 3 tackles.
Olivia Fuller - 8 possessions, 3 tackles, 12 hit-outs.

We desperately need to lock Liv Barber up to a long term contract at AFLW level. She's currently averaging 15 possessions, 9.3 hitouts and 2.5 goals a game at VFLW level.

We desperately need to lock Liv Barber up to a long term contract at AFLW level. She's currently averaging 15 possessions, 9.3 hitouts and 2.5 goals a game at VFLW level.

There's a certain poster here who will be infuriated by what I am about to post next. But Barber is the Olivia that we simply must keep at all costs. We actually have some quality mids coming through in our system at the moment, to offset the loss of Purcell.

But the cupboard is absolutely bare when it comes to young key forwards with real potential. Barber looks to have an extremely high ceiling to me. And her will to win leaves a stack of other players in the shade as well. Simply must be retained, as we could build our entire forward line set-up around her for years to come.

There's a certain poster here who will be infuriated by what I am about to post next. But Barber is the Olivia that we simply must keep at all costs. We actually have some quality mids coming through in our system at the moment, to offset the loss of Purcell.

But the cupboard is absolutely bare when it comes to young key forwards with real potential. Barber looks to have an extremely high ceiling to me. And her will to win leaves a stack of other players in the shade as well. Simply must be retained, as we could build our entire forward line set-up around her for years to come.
Heretic...!!!
Heathen !!!!

Burn at the stake!!!!

But seriously... there is merit to your point.

Clearly I have have enough luv in my heart for both Livs - and Purcell is the kind of foundation that you can build a club around - but so is Barber.
LB has that same drive and skillset that LP does.... she just has not been stuck on in the loss factory that LP has for the last 3 years.

I wish LP could see the light at the end of the tunnel - and its a a ways off - but I get both sides.

LB will also be a must sign for us - as KPF are not easy to come by and are a rare commodity when they do.

And 15 is really close to 16 so ill get over it.

Not really - but i can fake it.

GO Catters

Maybe not the right thread, but do you think if LP does end up at Melbourne that we'll finally see a Geelong vs Melbourne game during the AFLW season proper - they're the one team we're yet to actually play for premiership points

Im glad the girls in general are getting the wins albeit VFLW - nothing wrong with that - but after last season getting that experience of a winning feeling is invaluable.

The group needs some lift going into next season.

Good for the club overall. Green shoots...

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back