Geelong to go undefeated in 2024??

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the things you talk about if it's July and the team's 16-0.

Remember just a month ago the commentators were claiming the Eagles deserved a priority pick?
OP was angry at Geelong and needed something to look forward to. Let them have their moment, no Geelong supporter expected the streak to turn go in on perpetuity.

Just got unlucky that 2 Melbourne players kicked the arseiest or arsey goals.

Geelong are an absolute lock for the 2024 premiership. Put your house on it!!
Melbourne were due those two great goals after missing a bunch of sodas. And clutch sides deserve to win; compare that to Cameron kicking with a blindfold on.

Withdraw your favouritism and get behind the Swannies! They've just had the one aberration against Richmond so far.

No worries, it was a hard game to assess with both sides horrendous goal kicking but Melbourne fully deserved their victory. This is the sort of Melbourne from their 2021 season that has been too rare over the 2022/2023 seasons. Bottle this and who knows, a flag could still be on the cards. That inefficiency up forward can be punished, but Geelong were not a side capable of that on this occasion. Enjoy your night!
I don't think we've come remotely close to playing our best. We're ticking it over at about 5/10. We played like trash tonight. Oliver, Petracca, Viney all well down for this year. Van Rooyen too. Basically all of our players outside of Gawn, May and Lever. Deplorable skills tonight. Thankfully you guys didn't make us pay but we had 10 behinds that we would usually kick. Hard to watch tv

Just got unlucky that 2 Melbourne players kicked the arseiest of arsey goals. One of those players shouldn't have even been playing.

Geelong are an absolute lock for the 2024 premiership. Put your house on it!!
Dude, that's so wrong. We had 476 behinds tonight and you're calling a guy who kicked 6 in a granny an arsey goal? I think you're confusing arsey with classy. And that's what Fritsch is.

I don't think we've come remotely close to playing our best. We're ticking it over at about 5/10. We played like trash tonight. Oliver, Petracca, Viney all well down for this year. Van Rooyen too. Basically all of our players outside of Gawn, May and Lever. Deplorable skills tonight. Thankfully you guys didn't make us pay but we had 10 behinds that we would usually kick. Hard to watch tv
Fair enough. Geelong's 2/10 performance maybe I'm giving Melbourne too much credit for but they did take away our strengths for most of the game. Your intercepting defenders were colossuses and the midfield still had the better of ours. Up forward outside of goal kicking things looked much better (e.g ball movement, forward system).

It was an ugly game although the second half turned into something resembling a football match, outside of Cameron's involvements. I reckon that was his worst game as a Cat and maybe one of the worst of his career?

Mr Meow Commisserations. I was disappointed the game was even close tbh. The game should've been over much sooner. I thought the dees' skill level was horrendous and overall we're playing well below what we're capable of but still enough to get the chocolates tonight.
Just posted on Geelong board - neither team will play deep in finals.

Fair enough. Geelong's 2/10 performance maybe I'm giving Melbourne too much credit for but they did take away our strengths for most of the game. Your intercepting defenders were colossuses and the midfield still had the better of ours. Up forward outside of goal kicking things looked much better (e.g ball movement, forward system).

It was an ugly game although the second half turned into something resembling a football match, outside of Cameron's involvements. I reckon that was his worst game as a Cat and maybe one of the worst of his career?
You're giving us way too much credi imot. The goal kicking is massive though. If we kicked straight in the finals last year, we probably beat Collingwood in the first final and definitely would've beaten Carlton in the 2nd final. We don't have a reliable forward outside of Fritsch. So no matter how well our midfield or defence play, most of the time it ends up in a behind anyway. Which is incredibly frustrating.

Cameron's misses really let us off the hook but I felt like it was a bit of justice after some of our misses too.

I fully expect to lose to Carlton next week.

I agree with this.

It's absurd you have no quality key forwards.
If you had a Max King or a Nick Larkey, Melbourne would be cashing in while Gawn, May and Petracca are still in their prime.

I agree with this.

It's absurd you have no quality key forwards.
If you had a Max King or a Nick Larkey, Melbourne would be cashing in while Gawn, May and Petracca are still in their prime.
Yeah, I'm not sure any have been available. I honestly would take anyone at this point. Shane McAdam will come in to be a decent forward but he's not key position. I'm staggered that Melbourne aren't throwing the kitchen sink at Ugle-Hagan. Absolutely staggered.
We tried to get Hawkins in the last trade period.

Not at all surprised that Chris Scott didn't once credit the opposition in his post match presser. He's always lacked class. Goodwin always credits the opposition, win, lose or draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No excuse. You should never forget to credit the opposition. It's like forgetting to shake your opponents hand. It should be engrained. Pathetic by Scott. Lacks class.
Why do you need validation so much, especially from people you don't know or respect?

Goodwin's tactic of "the opposition were just great today, that should be the story" is a way to remove accountability from himself or his players. Neither example actually means anything, they are just giving the journo's whatever nothing burger before they get out of there.

Why do you need validation so much, especially from people you don't know or respect?

Goodwin's tactic of "the opposition were just great today, that should be the story" is a way to remove accountability from himself or his players. Neither example actually means anything, they are just giving the journo's whatever nothing burger before they get out of there.
Sportsmanship isn't a tactic. It's sportsmanship. Go and watch Goodwin's presser tonight. Heaped a lot of praise on Geelong despite being the better team. That's what class is. Why are you talking about accountability, he's the winning coach!

Can't believe you're going in to bat for coaches who don't acknowledge their opposition. It's sportsmanship 101.

When asked about Hawkins' influence etc. he could've acknowledged that he was playing on a pretty good player in Steven May.

He then blabbered on about Geelong's misses but didn't once acknowledge that the demons were worse in front of goal and were the better team for most of the night.

Sportsmanship isn't a tactic. It's sportsmanship. Go and watch Goodwin's presser tonight. Heaped a lot of praise on Geelong despite being the better team. That's what class is. Why are you talking about accountability, he's the winning coach!

Can't believe you're going in to bat for coaches who don't acknowledge their opposition. It's sportsmanship 101
I'm not going in to bat, I'm asking why you're acting as if someone murdered your child.

Anyone who lives and breathes off empty sound bites in a press conference is a moron, to be honest. I haven't watched one in years.

It's such a boring topic. We could be, you know, talking about the actual game - in which you've acknowledged a s**t tonne of Geelong supporters heaping praise on Melbourne's performance - which by the way, you refused to accept. But now you are upset that Scott didn't publicly rate the Melbourne performance higher than the 5/10 you gave it yourself.

What a walking contradiction you are, Danny. How many beers deep?

I'm not going in to bat, I'm asking why you're acting as if someone murdered your child.

Anyone who lives and breathes off empty sound bites in a press conference is a moron, to be honest. I haven't watched one in years.

It's such a boring topic. We could be, you know, talking about the actual game - in which you've acknowledged a s**t tonne of Geelong supporters heaping praise on Melbourne's performance - which by the way, you refused to accept. But now you are upset that Scott didn't publicly rate the Melbourne performance higher than the 5/10 you gave it yourself.

What a walking contradiction you are, Danny. How many beers deep?
He doesn't have to say that we were good, but just better on the night. I think defensively we were very good. But offensively, the missed shots on goal meant that we played poorly as poor goal kicking conversion = bad football.

I actually enjoy listening to press conferences of the opposition as they offer insights into how the opposition sees your team and often breaks them down. In Goodwin's presser he spoke about the cats strengths in transition from defence to f50 scores for instance. Sometimes they talk about why they tagged a certain player over another for example. When Goodwin was asked about Fritch's goal, he had the class to mention Stengle's goal that he believed was amazing. This is the sort of class that Scott simply doesn't have.

He doesn't have to say that we were good, but just better on the night. I think defensively we were very good. But offensively, the missed shots on goal meant that we played poorly as poor goal kicking conversion = bad football.

I actually enjoy listening to press conferences of the opposition as they offer insights into how the opposition sees your team and often breaks them down. In Goodwin's presser he spoke about the cats strengths in transition from defence to f50 scores for instance. Sometimes they talk about why they tagged a certain player over another for example. When Goodwin was asked about Fritch's goal, he had the class to mention Stengle's goal that he believed was amazing. This is the sort of class that Scott simply doesn't have.
And that is endearing, but they really mostly are a pointless exercise outside of the odd injury update etc. Very, very rarely there may be a smidgeon of tactical insight while they keep the real stuff to themselves.

Tuning in to see if an opposition coach gushed about your side more than you did (5/10 - is there an indication Scott rated the Demons 5/10 or lower than your own appraisal?) after the match? That's more 5 year old level stuff. He focussed on the things he was in control of that Geelong did wrong. Coaches alternate between that and saying the opposition were great; see Voss last week for more of the same. It's a non-factor either way.

You keep mentioning class over pointless soundbites. That makes you naive or ignorant. People understand Goodie the betting party animal, and class is not something he tends to get associated with. But he said a footballer kicked a nice goal. Checks out. Just don't be going on any juries soon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back