Preview Geelong vs Port Adelaide, Sat 21/5/22 1.15pm GMHBA Stadium (aka The Pork-Barrellers vs the Teal Independents)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season defining game and not sure we've ever had such a big selection dilemma Jonas, Dixon, Fantasia, Bergman, Dumont, what we do here is going to be fascinating. Going to have to back the coaching staff in on this one and see how it goes. Imagine if Bonner had only done a 1 weeker, it'd be just ludicrous at selection.

Geelong's feel of invincibility @ Kardinia Park has certainly disappeared, and we're a real chance here, but this will take our best game of the year to get it done.

I'm on the ride now hoping that we'll make finals, because why not do something special from last place? Regardless of the fact I don't think we will do anything in September, a win like this could just about turn the complexion of the whole season. We win these next 2, sitting a 6-5 at the bye, with players coming back, fitness and form building, then we'd have a real shot to get back into the top 4 race, and who knows from there.

Do I think we'll do it though? No. I just feel Geelong will be a bit too much for us this weekend. They will be hungry as hell, they're all in on a premiership with grandpa's squad and if they lose this week they're in for years and years of pain. So I think they'll find a way to get the result and it'll probably be a pretty close finish where we'll choke on a few late chances and they'll pinch it.

A positive for us is that they aren't a side known for fast starts, so if we have the right intent early we might be ok there. The negative I think we all see is we are really lacking a great man on man defender with some decent size. Clurey, McKenzie, much of a muchness, we really need someone much better. If we could find a great key back to go with Aliir, Burton & Jonas, we'd have a great defence, but the Clurey/McKenzie lock down role is a real weakness for us and can't help but feel Hawkins will have a field day which will open things up for Cameron.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want us to win this one, but I'm tipping Cats by 14 points.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the day when these campaigners properly bottom out and playing them at that dump means an easy kill.

That day hasn't arrived yet. Cats by 8 points.
When the Cats bottom out we won't get to play them at Geelong for 5 or 6 years.

Season defining game and not sure we've ever had such a big selection dilemma Jonas, Dixon, Fantasia, Bergman, Dumont, what we do here is going to be fascinating. Going to have to back the coaching staff in on this one and see how it goes. Imagine if Bonner had only done a 1 weeker, it'd be just ludicrous at selection.

Geelong's feel of invincibility @ Kardinia Park has certainly disappeared, and we're a real chance here, but this will take our best game of the year to get it done.

I'm on the ride now hoping that we'll make finals, because why not do something special from last place? Regardless of the fact I don't think we will do anything in September, a win like this could just about turn the complexion of the whole season. We win these next 2, sitting a 6-5 at the bye, with players coming back, fitness and form building, then we'd have a real shot to get back into the top 4 race, and who knows from there.

Do I think we'll do it though? No. I just feel Geelong will be a bit too much for us this weekend. They will be hungry as hell, they're all in on a premiership with grandpa's squad and if they lose this week they're in for years and years of pain. So I think they'll find a way to get the result and it'll probably be a pretty close finish where we'll choke on a few late chances and they'll pinch it.

A positive for us is that they aren't a side known for fast starts, so if we have the right intent early we might be ok there. The negative I think we all see is we are really lacking a great man on man defender with some decent size. Clurey, McKenzie, much of a muchness, we really need someone much better. If we could find a great key back to go with Aliir, Burton & Jonas, we'd have a great defence, but the Clurey/McKenzie lock down role is a real weakness for us and can't help but feel Hawkins will have a field day which will open things up for Cameron.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want us to win this one, but I'm tipping Cats by 14 points.
Cats are our Bunnies!

Port by 16

Looked at Fremantle's win against Geelong:

Fremantle's 8.7.55 from their midfield scoring chains, and 4.2.26 to 1.0.6 margin from boundary throw-in clearances, powered them to a critical victory away from home.

This will be a big game for Hayes. He should dominate the * out of Stanley at the ruck contest around the ground, and the smaller size of Kardinia (that wingless piece of s**t ground - it's 8m narrower than Adelaide Oval) should help him get to more contests.

There's no reason why we can't win this game, and win it fairly comfortably, as long as everyone chips in.

This game sucks because it's not going to be meaningful for many weeks, no matter what happens.

We jag the win here and finals become much more likely, but who cares, I don't care about finals until we've won the prelim and look to the Grand final.

We lose here and there's no way that any pressure mounts, because losing to Geelong in Geelong isn't crisis point - it only becomes relevant if we have a strong of losses after it.

We're in no man's land at 4-5. I would rather be on almost all wins or almost all losses, not this s**t.

#sackhinkley

I can't wait for the day when these campaigners properly bottom out and playing them at that dump means an easy kill.

That day hasn't arrived yet. Cats by 8 points.
We won’t play them there at their lowest

This game sucks because it's not going to be meaningful for many weeks, no matter what happens.

We jag the win here and finals become much more likely, but who cares, I don't care about finals until we've won the prelim and look to the Grand final.

We lose here and there's no way that any pressure mounts, because losing to Geelong in Geelong isn't crisis point - it only becomes relevant if we have a strong of losses after it.

We're in no man's land at 4-5. I would rather be on almost all wins or almost all losses, not this s**t.

#sackhinkley
We can’t win a GF or a prelim if we don’t make it. I want Hinkley gone too, but if the boys keep winning who knows.
Geelong, Sydney especially have shown they are beatable

People hoping we get smashed every week so that we can get rid of Hinkley are being very short sighted, and just as un-Port-Adelaide as Hinkley IMO. If we get destroyed through this year, and end up near the bottom, you risk far more dire implications than the possible firing of Stinkley! We will see player careers ended, players leaving, and other internal upheavals that could create other dire consequences that could take many years to repair.

I would never want to see the repeat of '08 to '012, or the rubbish fallouts that plagued Carlton, Essendon, and Melbourne for decades.

Yes lets keep up a social media campaign of calling out Stinkley and his enablers. If you want to cancel memberships in protest - fine. And let the club know the reason. Keep up the pressure. But we dont have to reach the depths of despair for the club & outside world to see him for what he is. Failure to make finals, or to go deep towards the GF is reason enough to have him moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50/50 depending when the umps decide to start the *******
I remember that meme after the 2017 debacle - the Cats are singing their song, with one of the umpires in the circle, singing it with them.

This is our 26th year in the AFL, and I don't have our record at the Cattery in front of me, but I'll assume that the number of Port wins there can comfortably be counted on 1 hand: certainly none since 2007. It'd be lovely to end the drought this Saturday, but I'm far from confident.

Think it will come down to the pressure we put on them delivering into there forward 50... Hawkins and co get it delivered in a silver platter we are in trouble.

Think we are a decent chance of knocking them off.

Defence is a worry. Did Jonas actually have covid? He might not be straight back, in which case we're lacking a key defender. They haven't shown any indication they're willing to put Finlayson back this season.

I remember that meme after the 2017 debacle - the Cats are singing their song, with one of the umpires in the circle, singing it with them.

This is our 26th year in the AFL, and I don't have our record at the Cattery in front of me, but I'll assume that the number of Port wins there can comfortably be counted on 1 hand: certainly none since 2007. It'd be lovely to end the drought this Saturday, but I'm far from confident.

One finger, I reckon.

There was a 46pt win early in 2001, down from a 68pt lead at 3QT.

AFL Tables tells me Schoey had 30 & 5(!) en route to the 3 votes.

Wow! I literally have no memory of that game. At all.

Classic Choco though, putting the brakes on at 3/4 time.

Haven't played there much but it has had some classics.

2003, 2006, 2007, 2017 all decided by less than a goal from memory.

Clurey is a massive concern here, I don't trust him on either Hawkins or Cameron.
I’ve got the same concerns. Clurey has been poor this season, & is realistically only getting a game due to our lack of viable options down back.

Early Weather forecast is perfect conditions, 16 degrees, clear & light winds.

If we are going to get up, Sam Hayes will be key, as the Cats are relatively weak in the rucking department. Get first look at the ball, & hopefully deny Geelong repeated entries into their Fwd 50 where Cameron & Hawkins can run riot.

It‘s a narrow ground at Geelong, so protecting the corridor is crucial. Pity Bonner won’t be available as his line breaking ability will be missed on that shitty ground.

There was a 46pt win early in 2001, down from a 68pt lead at 3QT.

AFL Tables tells me Schoey had 30 & 5(!) en route to the 3 votes.
I think was at that one. Remember my group getting a pie thrown at us for being a bit mouthy. They were still well and truly handbaggers era back then.

Edit - I also remember Tim Evans being a few rows behind us in the outer. A few Geelong locals remembered him and were bantering a bit

I’ve got the same concerns. Clurey has been poor this season, & is realistically only getting a game due to our lack of viable options down back.

Early Weather forecast is perfect conditions, 16 degrees, clear & light winds.

If we are going to get up, Sam Hayes will be key, as the Cats are relatively weak in the rucking department. Get first look at the ball, & hopefully deny Geelong repeated entries into their Fwd 50 where Cameron & Hawkins can run riot.

It‘s a narrow ground at Geelong, so protecting the corridor is crucial. Pity Bonner won’t be available as his line breaking ability will be missed on that shitty ground.
Has Clurey actually been poor this season? Last week he had 1 goal kicked on him by Larkey and that was for a free kick which wasn't his fault (Jones got pinged for blocking).

He's only had 1 game where his direct opponent has really got hold of him and that was the Carlton game where both McKay and Curnow dominated. Aliir was dreadful that game.

Naughton kicked a bag but Aliir was playing on him for the first half or so.

You could make an argument that Aliir has had a poorer season than Clurey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back