AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same applies to Daisy. The women talk a whole lot less crap than the male commentators, though admittedly that's setting the bar pretty low.
Maybe less crap but they still use plenty of cliches.

Maybe less crap but they still use plenty of cliches.
Because they are able/allowed to show weakness and men aren’t. It’s funny how clearly that shows when compared directly.

Big fan of women’s footy, you can already see the improvement in first 5 minutes

Big fan of women’s footy, you can already see the improvement in first 5 minutes

Huge improvement in skill and ball movement.

Scoring still looks a bit laboured. Most of the girls seem to max out at 25-30 metre kicks, I think that makes it difficult to score when they are playing on full size mens fields.

Huge improvement in skill and ball movement.

Scoring still looks a bit laboured. Most of the girls seem to max out at 25-30 metre kicks, I think that makes it difficult to score when they are playing on full size mens fields.

Spot on.

The quality in about 5 years will be exceptionally good and the gun players will probably be household names.

I think it is great even if I do still have a problem with Erin Phillips wearing the fruit loop, any team but them!

The more AFL lite this becomes in tactics, and it will, the worse it will get.

There's been as many quarters played as goals. They aren't cut out for super press, hard defensive minded two way running, and quick transition after forcing the error. What worked last year was the more traditional football structure, despite skill shortcomings.

Well there's one kick that hit its target.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*yawns* 5 goals in 3 qtr... haven't been watching and won't ever waste my time

I'm glad you haven't been watching and still found time to come in here and rubbish it. Carn.

It's not compelling but it's enjoyable if you adjust standards. They are fierce competitors.

I'm glad you haven't been watching and still found time to come in here and rubbish it. Carn.

It's not compelling but it's enjoyable if you adjust standards. They are fierce competitors.
The first improvement when a sport goes ‘pro’ is always defence as it has an easier curve to learn. They just need to improve skills to learn to overcome it, that will take a few years though.

The go in hard so that already makes it better than any combined or pre season games, but yeah they only kick slightly more goals than soccer.

Still, lots of people love soccer, so what do I know?

Sent from mTalk

The first improvement when a sport goes ‘pro’ is always defence as it has an easier curve to learn. They just need to improve skills to learn to overcome it, that will take a few years though.

The one big difference so far for me this year is their awareness. Many many awkward HTBs last year. Almost none tonight.

The one big difference so far for me this year is their awareness. Many many awkward HTBs last year. Almost none tonight.
Not really the tackling, that was always going to be .ess effective as they got better at taking a hit and not panicking. I’m thinking the tactical and positional improvements in defence.

My honest assessment of AFLW without the "herp derp, girls can't play footy :drunk:" bullshit, usually from people who spend a disproportionate amount of their sad, miserable lives hating a gender.

* It's a start. Skills are well below the mens, but you could say the same about any other sport really. But I too can see improvement from last year.
* There's still a noticeable gap between the best two or three players and the rest of the team, however.
* The field should be smaller, I agree, that'd end the low scoring.
* Brutally honest, I probably wouldn't care at all if it coincided with the men's season, so I think they play it at the right time of year, when all of us are keen for footy again
* However, if my 4 year old stepdaughter ever wanted to play AFLW, at least she has that opporunity one day. Hopefully for Port.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back