Opinion George Horlin-Smith - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, no he wasn't. GHS has had multiple top-3 finishes in the Liston Trophy (including 2nd in 2016 from just 11 games), won the Norm Goass medal in 2012 and has been in the VFL team of the year once or twice. He's a star at VFL level.

and yet he cant get into the seniors

does that go to show vfl form isnt worth much

and yet he cant get into the seniors

does that go to show vfl form isnt worth much

It might just show that he has reached his ceiling by being a very good VFL player, whereas others can take another step and become good AFL players.

Just like some cricketers. Very good at state level, but flounder at national level.

He can really only play in the middle. He is far too slow to play any where else.

I don't follow that logic you don't need to be lightning quick to play half back. Enright, Mackie and Bartel spent lots of time in that position over the journey all slow last 5 years. Reading the play, positioning, skills and defend well he can play the role. His best chance to crack best 22 be versatile with roles S.Selwood, Blicavs, Duncan, Menegola, Cowan all in front of him and those guys are not any quicker.

He actually played 13 games at West Coast in 2015. Missed the last few home and away games then was dropped after the first final.

Yeah and 12 the year before coming off ankle surgery missed 7-8 at the start of 2015 then never got his best missed around half season vice captain of west coast if his body is right he plays the GF

I don't follow that logic you don't need to be lightning quick to play half back. Enright, Mackie and Bartel spent lots of time in that position over the journey all slow last 5 years. Reading the play, positioning, skills and defend well he can play the role. His best chance to crack best 22 be versatile with roles S.Selwood, Blicavs, Duncan, Menegola, Cowan all in front of him and those guys are not any quicker.

While Boris was not fast ... he is probably the best reader of play I can remember watching across the HB line. Mackie is not quick but he can get up and down the ground to create with his footskills. Bartel was never at his best in the backline. I just do not see enough aspects to GHS game for him to be anything other than a mid , and he has others with more to offer in front of him.

While Boris was not fast ... he is probably the best reader of play I can remember watching across the HB line. Mackie is not quick but he can get up and down the ground to create with his footskills. Bartel was never at his best in the backline. I just do not see enough aspects to GHS game for him to be anything other than a mid , and he has others with more to offer in front of him.

He has spent time there in vfl he came second in the Liston playing around 15 gamds.

He has spent time there in vfl he came second in the Liston playing around 15 gamds.

He will not get a midfield best 22 spot so he needs to try another position or he gets delisted and moved on he has trained and played vfl in that spot its his best chance to get in you need to try it. Mackie came as a forward, lonergan full forward Bartel was a mid turned utility my point when its not quite working in one spot try him in another he can play he has the ability needs game time

Kelly was another defender who was painfully slow and a massive worry whenever we had Bartel and Mackie lingering alongside of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because ageing players lose speed

hence why it is imperative the coach shuffles young blood around in the team next season. It's all part of trial and error, something in which Mark Thompson was great at but under Chris Scott, it's like the back-line is where you play the blokes who are well past their use by date.

hence why it is imperative the coach shuffles young blood around in the team next season. It's all part of trial and error, something in which Mark Thompson was great at but under Chris Scott, it's like the back-line is where you play the blokes who are well past their use by date.

That's why I wanted GHS trialled at half back it might not work. And Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie all at tail end of career but have been defenders for majority of last 5 years. Bartel and Kelly mids turned utilities and enright just retired they were fantastic as a group father time waits for nobody you either play them or they retire because I doubt lonergan and Mackie go on to play vfl. And Kelly was delisted long ago

I wouldn't mind seeing any of Lang, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith and possibly Motlop given weeks of game time in the back-line on a permanent basis. I appreciate the likes of Cowan and Ruggles getting a taste but the coaches need to keep it going and they must stop with the favoritism and drop guys like Mackie, (Bartel) if they aren't offering the team much in their position. We have had to put up with that for far too long in the past. How long did bloody Murdoch get game after game before it became blatantly obvious his underwear needed changing at every halftime break.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of Lang, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith and possibly Motlop given weeks of game time in the back-line on a permanent basis. I appreciate the likes of Cowan and Ruggles getting a taste but the coaches need to keep it going and they must stop with the favoritism and drop guys like Mackie, (Bartel) if they aren't offering the team much in their position. We have had to put up with that for far too long in the past. How long did bloody Murdoch get game after game before it became blatantly obvious his underwear needed changing at every halftime break.
We won't need to worry about jimmy getting too many games this season

If GHS or Murdoch were to get promoted to the AFL side it just demonstrates we've gone backwards as a team. Just plain stupid from coach upwards for the 3 year contract to GHS and just as stupid for not offering up Murdoch in the trade period, two of the worst players we've ever persisted with, even as depth players you would elevate youngsters before those two useless dropkicks.

If GHS or Murdoch were to get promoted to the AFL side it just demonstrates we've gone backwards as a team.
Quite possibly true but not certain. Could also be if they perform in the VFL and/or show signs of improvement during pre-season.
Just plain stupid from coach upwards for the 3 year contract to GHS and just as stupid for not offering up Murdoch in the trade period, two of the worst players we've ever persisted with, even as depth players you would elevate youngsters before those two useless dropkicks.
Scott is merely one voice in the list management team. As has been made clear numerous times by the club, Wells has the final say and I'd say Hocking is more influential on these matters than any of our coaches.

If GHS or Murdoch were to get promoted to the AFL side it just demonstrates we've gone backwards as a team. Just plain stupid from coach upwards for the 3 year contract to GHS and just as stupid for not offering up Murdoch in the trade period, two of the worst players we've ever persisted with, even as depth players you would elevate youngsters before those two useless dropkicks.

The coach has nothing to do with player contracts, Hocking and Wells (used to be Balme and Wells) handle that stuff, I will pot him for many things in particular some of his match day coaching moves but not contracts as he doesn't make those decisions. As far as George goes he is in the same position he was last year, backup player. He won't get Caddy's spot as Caddy was playing 70 % forward and George can't play well as a forward he needs to be 70 % midfield or bust. Caddy's spot will go to either Cockatoo or Lang as both offer more as forwards and George is a backup player for if Scooter or Menegola et al get injured. He is a good standard backup player to have (providing he is on low wages) but he is a square peg in a round hole in terms of fitting into the 22.

The coach has nothing to do with player contracts, Hocking and Wells (used to be Balme and Wells) handle that stuff, I will pot him for many things in particular some of his match day coaching moves but not contracts as he doesn't make those decisions. As far as George goes he is in the same position he was last year, backup player. He won't get Caddy's spot as Caddy was playing 70 % forward and George can't play well as a forward he needs to be 70 % midfield or bust. Caddy's spot will go to either Cockatoo or Lang as both offer more as forwards and George is a backup player for if Scooter or Menegola et al get injured. He is a good standard backup player to have (providing he is on low wages) but he is a square peg in a round hole in terms of fitting into the 22.
He has nothing to do with actually writing up a players contract but he is consulted and does have a say if a player should remain on the list or be cut from it, this I know firsthand from CS himself.
And in GHS’s case he is just as much to blame as Wells and Hocking and if you had of taken notice of my original question you would have read I didn’t just blame CS, I did say Coach upwards meaning CS and all the other idiots above him who had anything to do with the GHS 3 year extension.

Your view on GHS as a backup player in the event Scooter or Menegola were to get injured is counter productive going forward, it's more beneficial to debut a few youngsters, Scooter and Menegola were injured most of last year and GHS/Murdoch didn't get a call up so why is this season any different?

He has nothing to do with actually writing up a players contract but he is consulted and does have a say if a player should remain on the list or be cut from it, this I know firsthand from CS himself.
And in GHS’s case he is just as much to blame as Wells and Hocking and if you had of taken notice of my original question you would have read I didn’t just blame CS, I did say Coach upwards meaning CS and all the other idiots above him who had anything to do with the GHS 3 year extension.

Your view on GHS as a backup player in the event Scooter or Menegola were to get injured is counter productive going forward, it's more beneficial to debut a few youngsters, Scooter and Menegola were injured most of last year and GHS/Murdoch didn't get a call up so why is this season any different?
Yea you'd think that If Scott doesn't have a say in who stays and who goes then here's some serious mismanagement and questions need to be asked of Hocking, Wells and those in higher positions.

I find it hard to believe that a coach has no say in contract decisions.

Yea you'd think that If Scott doesn't have a say in who stays and who goes then here's some serious mismanagement and questions need to be asked of Hocking, Wells and those in higher positions.

I find it hard to believe that a coach has no say in contract decisions.

I think it's more reflective of the schizophrenic and impatient nature of list management now, that a young player is signed to a three year deal and then decide never to play him. Despite him outperforming every other player at the lower level. That, along with discarding two players still under contract doesn't exactly scream solid long term strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back