Opinion Get The "Think Tank" Out - We Need Some New Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

A poster said our membership will grow once we start winning games and playing finals. The post is about our lack of members and our club falling behind our rivals in this regard. If all we are waiting for is us to win more and play finals then what happens when the Tigers, Pies and Bombers start winning more and playing finals? We will fall further behind.
Richmond don't play finals, Pies don't win them and * are banned.

We are safe for a while.

Hawks are a great example as well, been successful for ages and huge membership

On field success has to be a contributing factor

It will be interesting to see how their numbers are the next few years, they have been very pro-active in tapping in to the Tassie market which has been great for them.

I've been a member for the last 12 years or so, and I've always thought that the club doesn't do enough to reward people who renew.. Seems like they have the attitude that we'll sign up regardless. Few comments/suggestions about my time as a member:

- Have had some bad experiences with the membership department, including a massive stuff around with reserved seats and delayed delivery of packages. I haven't dealt with them this year, but mates have had issues. This is more than likely impacting people wanting to sign up again.

- IMO not enough is offered to long time members, some suggestions are: discount on memberships, free tickets to games, premium member scarves, hats, etc. with memberships, the 5% discount at the Carlton shop is laughable, this could easily be staggered according to years of membership.

Also agree with what others have said about not having enough access to players, member only competitions to win something like access to the rooms after games (as a kid, this is something I would have loved to do).

I know we have a huge fan base including a lot of followers on social media platforms, and pull decent crowds and TV audiences, but this doesn't convert into membership numbers. I think one of the main contributors for such low membership numbers is that we've been so bad for so long and hopefully with a decent season this year, and a good trade period, and some initiatives from the club, numbers will start to increase.

Excuse any factual mistakes. Our club has always had a strong Italian and Greek supporter base due to the fact they were predominant migrants who set up and lived in the Carlton area in the early 90's.

What are the predominant migrants of the Carlton area today? Are these people targeted? Can they be targeted?

The Hawks have made an absolute killing out of Tassie, can something similar be done in NT or Bendigo or somewhere similar?

The Saints have just won an award relating to their promotion and work with the LGBTI community also.

Think it was more post WW2, but you're right..that's one of the main reasons we have a strong Italian and Greek supporter base. My old man grew up in Carlton, and sold records at Princes Park so I had no choice but to support the Blues.

Completely agree that we need to find an area and target it, not sure where though.

Think it was more post WW2, but you're right..that's one of the main reasons we have a strong Italian and Greek supporter base. My old man grew up in Carlton, and sold records at Princes Park so I had no choice but to support the Blues.

Completely agree that we need to find an area and target it, not sure where though.
Here it is...

upload_2017-5-19_22-15-47.png

Anywhere here will do

The biggest issue has been the way the 'old boys club' vibe has hurt our images.

Slowly, this is changing. Bolton has clearly spent a lot of time talking about the collective and coupled with the introduction of the women's team, something has changed at our club.

If you wanted my input on improving our membership situation, greater membership engagement at a micro level and the return of an US vs Them mentality.

While value is important and I like the idea of a points system (very innovative) this isn't the reason why we have low membership numbers. It's an absolute disgrace we have only 6k more members than St Kilda.

sorry i meant 1900's, i assume that's why my family support Carlton.

Our supporters s**t me to tears, yeah they'll jump on when we get close, they'll be arrogant as * and bring about an off field resurgence but really we need them now to watch the club grow.

We all see it happening before our eyes, a completely different club to one of 150 years standing that has finally evolved into how the modern game works on and off the field.

It'll take time, but for christs sake get behind the club and watch the team grow and be a part of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest issue has been the way the 'old boys club' vibe has hurt our images.

Slowly, this is changing. Bolton has clearly spent a lot of time talking about the collective and coupled with the introduction of the women's team, something has changed at our club.

If you wanted my input on improving our membership situation, greater membership engagement at a micro level and the return of an US vs Them mentality.

While value is important and I like the idea of a points system (very innovative) this isn't the reason why we have low membership numbers. It's an absolute disgrace we have only 6k more members than St Kilda.

The problem is, whilst I 100% agree that Bolton is doing this .... its really not his job. Yes he is the most tv viewed staff member in relation to coaching/training/match day stuff .... but Our players should be used as someone said above "brand ambassadors". Also there are other staff at the club that need to become more visible to the public to expand our brand.

What about targeting a new demographic? African community, Vietnamese and so on.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as we play games over there and actually do something about bringing the game to other countries. Will mean less home games for Australian members though ...

The club has never been more open and out there with their membership base.

Carlton supporters just won't back anything else but a winner, it's embarrassing in its simplicity

Plenty show up to the footy, we still get as many people than just about anyone in vic who pay at the gate.

The problem is, whilst I 100% agree that Bolton is doing this .... its really not his job. Yes he is the most tv viewed staff member in relation to coaching/training/match day stuff .... but Our players should be used as someone said above "brand ambassadors". Also there are other staff at the club that need to become more visible to the public to expand our brand.

I don't disagree thought equally it isn't the reason for our low membership.

Having said that, the problem is we don't have many that could do this role. It use to be Judd. I imagine the club wants to keep the likes of Cripps and Weitering focused on their game and out of the media spotlight. Gibbs a non starter for obvious reasons and Murphy doesn't like the spotlight.

Maybe once some of the young guys mature we will see more step up naturally. Also, not many people want to consistently hear from a team in the bottom 3 all the time.

The club has never been more open and out there with their membership base.

Carlton supporters just won't back anything else but a winner, it's embarrassing in its simplicity

B/S maybe older supporters do but culture will change ... the only way new members (young) will feel that way is if entitlement is bred into them by the club. Don't get me wrong most people are fair weather sailors in general .... and tough economic times impact luxury expenditure outside the main essentials.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as we play games over there and actually do something about bringing the game to other countries. Will mean less home games for Australian members though ...

Hahahaha no, thats not what i meant.
Through different initiatives can we target African supporters, Asian supporters, can we target the public in the commission housing, can we do a Hawthorn and target an area that hasn't been targeted yet. Whilst i think we could do home games in NT, or places like Bendigo i wasn't advocating playing overseas though.

Eight years ago, with the assistance of some other concerned posters on TC, we put to the club an idea to build a database of supporters (not just members). The people proposing it were well connected to the club. We got nowhere. They just didn't get it. And the club still don't have a proper database, or else I'd get annual calls asking why I haven't renewed my membership since 2012. The problem is that they believe onfield success will drive the numbers (and to an extent they're right), but this logic overlooks that Essendon, Collingwood, and Richmond have had limited success since 2000 (ok... one flag to Collingwood) and still bury us in terms of membership numbers.

Somebody I know with close links to the club thinks we are as bereft of talent and initiative on the board as we've ever been.

Besides the last paragraph I agree entirely.

A well structured and built CRM is an essential part of business nowadays, needs to happen.

It's important first to understand how it's currently structured, AFL may look after this in its entirety

Digital membership that doesn't involve an APP. And some sort of guide in terms of quality for the digital viewing of games

Nice....best idea yet

A membership that gives you the access to the club in its entirety without forking out games memberships.

Get supporters details into a DB then target market. Needs a bloody good CRM to do it properly though!!

Stuff like "The Journey" videos on the website should be part of a freemium package. Doesn't cost anything, but you need to input basic data such as email address to join the club. Sign into the site for free and get "extras", simple idea but you don't have to spend any money to make that happen yet the data you get out of that is priceless.

Then ensure those with a site sign on get the emails from Trigg, direct market the next journey video, create competitions for non game day members and members alike, email people directly with training session times, events etc etc

Then direct market to learn more about those customers and build packages around their habits.

Needs an awesome CRM and an investment in continuous improvement in those platforms but it's how big companies are making serious money.

I fear though how much the club is hamstrung in this area by central office.

Last edited:
Aside from discounts, I'm not sure what events are held for our members, but for example:
  • Richmond has a children's event during school holidays where the kids are invited to the club, eat in the player's cafeteria, 'train' with the players etc
  • Essendon has functions for long-standing members, e.g. my friend's dad is a 50 year member and attended an event with all the players, current coaches, high profile people etc

Don't know about events for dinosaur members and if they don't they should but I know they definitely do junior member training sessions during school holidays, my son had a blast and I reckon the players did to.

Besides the last paragraph I agree entirely.

A well structured and built CRM is an essential part of business nowadays, needs to happen.

It's important first to understand how it's currently structured, AFL may look after this in its entirety

The club has a CRM.

Not sure how well maintained it is but it does have one. Which is a step up from before where it was non-existant.

A poster said our membership will grow once we start winning games and playing finals. The post is about our lack of members and our club falling behind our rivals in this regard. If all we are waiting for is us to win more and play finals then what happens when the Tigers, Pies and Bombers start winning more and playing finals? We will fall further behind.

Historically Carlton's huge support base has never translated into membership numbers, even through our most successful times
we lagged behind clubs such as Collingwood and Essendon in terms of numbers. Clubs such as Richmond and Hawthorn have certainly left us behind as well which is of concern.

It would be great to find a way to be able to change that but winning games on its own isn't any guarantee of making that happen. The club definitely needs to be creative in it's approach to luring more people into buying memberships, there needs to be some perceived value in doing so and people definitely need to feel more engaged with the club itself. 1995 membershipnumbersafl.jpg

Source: AFL Annual Report 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back