Opinion Gil and Steve are wankas - opposition supporters welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gil kept saying in the interview, "we want fans to feel safe".

Other than Anne from Geelong, has anyone ever heard of anyone being scared or intimidated at the footy? I'm being serious here. I am picturing the biggest feral abusive drunk yelling out and abusing everyone that moves and am still struggling to think how someone would be intimidated by it. I've never seen or heard of a coward punch happening at the footy, you're surely more likely to get attacked on the outside. Walk past a sudanese gang or past a violent thug barrister's son.

Person of colour (or should I say 'color') is just ridiculous Americanism that exists solely because of their hangups about race and the partisan state of discourse in that country. My wife is Colombian, her freinds refer to her negrita hermosa (little black beauty), she doesn't give a ****, but say that in the States and all hell would break loose. I get referred to as a gringo from time to time, IDGAF either. Should I be offended, and why?

The footy isn't a hostile environment, get real. Rabid white homies? Which country are we talking about? Hyperbole much?

Are Asians people of color? Which colour exactly? Yellow????

Colombian wife! You've nailed it son. Mines Chilean, I've nailed it too. Lifes good

I shudder to think how some of these neurotics would have fared at Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Moorabin, Arden Street or Princes Park back in the pre 90's era.

They would have fainted in the first 10 minutes.
Exactly.
It’s how I learnt life, What every swear word in the world meant, how pissed beer made people and just about everything. At all those grounds my old man would take up his spot and say “right.. remember where I am?” And down to the fence I would take my 7-10 year old arse and learn about footy and life, return at half time to get money for a pie and then back to the fence.
Wouldn’t change a thing if I had time over again and neither would my old man.

Exactly.
It’s how I learnt life, What every swear word in the world meant, how pissed beer made people and just about everything. At all those grounds my old man would take up his spot and say “right.. remember where I am?” And down to the fence I would take my 7-10 year old arse and learn about footy and life, return at half time to get money for a pie and then back to the fence.

I reckon the contemporary insulation of people has lead to the rise in mental illness.

They have no psychological immunity, and collapse under very little pressure as a result.

Exactly.
Yeah...my departed dad use to walk me, 3yo, up Wales street West Footscray to the Rising Sun Hotel saturday arvo...we would cross the road to TW Oval...
He would take me thro' the choking slow turnstyles and lead me up to the scoreboard end halfway down to the fence...
(how he ended up having an interest in VFL footy then is a mystery to me...he was WW2 refugee...a Balt, the only dark eyed/haired Balt ever!)
I would be immediately bored...and spend my time with a horde of other screaming kids playing behind the scoreboard...sliding down the grassy slopes on cardboard boxes, OH&S would freak these days!..eventually i would get hungry and look for the old man!
I'm hungry dad can i have a pie Daddddddd!!!...Saturday...it seemed a day of screams!
He would eventually give me a silver shilling i would buy a hot 4&20 pie from the boys with strapped white boxes around their necks and stand eating it beside him...In the time i took to eat my pie i saw another way of life in melbourne...
A male domain of shifting grey that would erupt in a roaring wave of anger or more preferably delight that would shift and shudder around me alarmingly like a disturbed sea to this lil tacker clinging to the old man. Anger or delight, the inevitable roll of grey smoke would rise and flow over me...contorted white faces screaming, yelling english words i had never heard of before, straight arms with pointy fingers would always be directed towards this shifting white pattern on green that fired out words of anger, dad would ignore me and look intently towards the flashes of bright colour jumping on green...and occasionally red balls landed near me with a thump over out stretched arms and screams of 'hatch it'!!!...if i did manage to touch the red ball it would be grabbed from me and hurled back over heads and upturned faces!...and dad would be happy! I would lose interest and would go back to where i had come from...
If 'foot des cray' had won my dad would take me to the rising sun hotel and would spend hours drinking frosted glasses of brown with more of those grey men...if i bothered him because i was bored i would be given 2 shillings to amuse myself...i soon learnt to bother him a lot and had bulging pockets...
Eventually whether it was because i was nearly crying from boredom or dad was unable to stand properly we would decide to go home by taxi...
The inevitable problem would arise that the old man had no money and needed me to pay for the taxi ride home, i would be caught between being furious at losing my hard earned silver and wanting to go home to mum! Slowly the old man would count out my silver...1 pound 4 shillings..and i would be so frustrated with anger! A taxi would arrive and we would drive home, it never made sense to me only the leftover 2 bob in my pocket did!

Last edited:
Yeah...my departed dad use to walk me, 3yo, up Wales street West Footscray to the Rising Sun Hotel saturday arvo...we would cross the road to TW Oval...
He would take me thro' the turnstyles and lead me up to the scoreboard end halfway down to the fence...
(how he ended up having an interest in VFL footy then is a mystery to me...he was WW2 refugee...a Balt, the only dark eyed/haired Balt ever!)
I would be immediately bored...and spend my time with a horde of other kids playing behind the scoreboard...sliding down the grassy slopes on cardboard boxes, OH&S would freak these days!..eventually i would get hungry and look for the old man!)
HE would give me a silver shilling i would buy a hot 4&20 pie from the boys with strapped white boxes around their necks eating it beside him...
In the time i took to eat my pie i saw another way of life in melbourne...
A male domain of shifting grey that would erupt in a roaring wave of anger or more preferably delight that would shift around me alarmingly like a disturbed sea to this lil tacker clinging to the old man..anger or delight, the inevitable roll of grey smoke would rise and flow over me...contorted white faces screaming, yelling english words i had never heard of before, straight arms with pointy fingers would always be directed towards this shifting white patterns on green that fired out words of anger, dad would ignore me and look intently towards the flashes of bright colour jumping on green...and occasionally red balls land near me with a thump over out stretched arms and screams of 'hatch it'!!!...and dad would soon be happy!
I would lose interest and would go back to where i had come from...
If 'foot des cray' had won my dad would take me to the rising sun hotel and would spend hours drinking frosted glasses of brown with more of those grey men...if i bothered him because i was bored i would be given 2 shillings to amuse myself...i soon learnt to bother him a lot and had bulging pockets...
Eventually whether it was because i was nearly crying from boredom or dad was unable to stand properly we would decide to go home by taxi...
The inevitable problem would arise that the old man had no money and needed me to pay for the taxi ride home, i would be caught between being furious at losing my hard earned silver and wanting to go home to mum! Slowly the old man would count out my silver...1 pound 4 shillings..and i would be so frustrated with anger! A taxi would arrive and we would drive home, it never made sense to me only the 2 bob in my pocket did!

You can guarantee that Peter Gordon never visited these places back then!!!!

well i get called CHINK time to time too, so...oooohhh i feel for you being called gringo....pffft.

was i 'shaken' like when Nichols being shaken with the baldheaded flog comment ? well yeah....my head was being shaken side to side
while the white homie yelled at me "What the F**ck you think you're doing here CHINK ? and you're telling me to get real ? get real...i
just wish i had a sharp blade on me at the time. Hyperbole my F**king arse.

You've got issues mate.

Wish you had a sharp blade. What a hero.

I reckon the contemporary insulation of people has lead to the rise in mental illness.

They have no psychological immunity, and collapse under very little pressure as a result.
Social media is the biggest mistake we as a species ever created in conjunction with participation awards. Essentially we have teenagers huge hits of dopamine through social media as well as the ability to fabricate an identity of success that is backed up by participation medals. When they get into the real world it comes as a shock that they are not the greatest and you don't achieve in life just because you want something. Essentially look at the 2016-2018 GWS side for real life examples.

Also this video is ******* boss on the above mentioned topic and worth a watch from everyone

LOL...your not wrong!
Am enjoying your sojourn here on our board and your imput! :thumbsu:

Thanks.

By the reads of it...working class background?!?

Definitely.

If you're from that area then you should remember another pub in the backs streets near the Rising Sun, The Buckingham. I used to get in there for a drink & play darts. The Rising Sun was proper knockabout back in the day. Drank in all those pubs at one time or another.

I never saw Peter Gordon on the Western Oval hill on a wet & windy day, yet this ponce and his like who have taken up positions inside football clubs in order to give themselves a platform, think they can pontificate at we rank and file supporters who actually made this game what it is.

The only things I'm interested in hearing from Peter Gordon are what he has done with the tens of millions he pocketed from the floating of Slater & Gordon. He's about as "working class" as Jeannie Pratt!

The gentrification of football can be seen everywhere. The talented kids are pressed in to the private school systems the moment they are identified. We'll never see another Doug Hawkins type coming out of Braybrook Tech.

It's a class takeover.

The people made football popular :arrowright: popularity lead to large sums of money :arrowright: the parasites moved in when the money showed up :arrowright: The parasites took over and gradually excluded the people.

Last edited:
Social media is the biggest mistake we as a species ever created in conjunction with participation awards. Essentially we have teenagers huge hits of dopamine through social media as well as the ability to fabricate an identity of success that is backed up by participation medals. When they get into the real world it comes as a shock that they are not the greatest and you don't achieve in life just because you want something. Essentially look at the 2016-2018 GWS side for real life examples.

Also this video is ******* boss on the above mentioned topic and worth a watch from everyone

clapping.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I shudder to think how some of these neurotics would have fared at Victoria Park, Windy Hill, Moorabin, Arden Street or Princes Park back in the pre 90's era.

They would have fainted in the first 10 minutes.
I was thinking that while I was at salubrious North Heidelberg game ( playing coach your own Boomer) in the heart of West Heidelberg sandwiched between an industrial estate and commission flats last week.
Feral for sure , but real core suburban roots footy and far more enjoyable than the sterile franchise footy we’re subjected to at AFL level.

I was thinking that while I was at salubrious North Heidelberg game ( playing coach your own Boomer) in the heart of West Heidelberg sandwiched between an industrial estate and commission flats last week.
Feral for sure , but real core suburban roots footy and far more enjoyable than the sterile franchise footy we’re subjected to at AFL level.

Hear ! Hear ! Big Donut 30.

Clearly your putting McLachlan in a head lock on Swan Street out the front of the Richmond Hotel back in 2017 has failed to make a mark. You and your colorful mates from the Berg should maybe make a visit to AFL House and make your point a bit clearer ! Let him know that you're not asking....you're TELLING him !

Hear ! Hear ! Big Donut 30.

Clearly your putting McLachlan in a head lock on Swan Street out the front of the Richmond Hotel back in 2017 has failed to make a mark. You and your colorful mates from the Berg should maybe make a visit to AFL House and make your point a bit clearer ! Let him know that you're not asking....you're TELLING him !
I’m glad to have the support of a corporate well heeled suit such as yourself.
If I’d known just how bad Gil was gonna * the league up, that headlock would have been a choke hold with no submit option ( justified too for making us wear the clash gurnsey in the GF)
Maybe your workmates and colleagues could throw a few million to a go fund me project so I can get stainless steel pitchforks ect for the massacre?

If I’d known just how bad Gil was gonna **** the league up, that headlock would have been a choke hold with no submit option ( justified too for making us wear the clash gurnsey in the GF)
Maybe your workmates and colleagues could throw a few million to a go fund me project so I can get stainless steel pitchforks ect for the massacre?

:eek:..................*reaches for phone*..........0427.......762...............

If I’d known just how bad Gil was gonna **** the league up, that headlock would have been a choke hold with no submit option ( justified too for making us wear the clash gurnsey in the GF)

You're welcome. Well heeled...I like that too. Even if I am sitting in my tracksuit pants and 2017 Premiership wind cheater right now.

McLachlan ...heh heh heh....looked like he'd swallowed a lemon that day.

Unfortunately, my company is cutting back. Hopefully I'm part of that cut back. But for now, the best I can offer you and your project is some small note pads.

Pffffft, mine was better. And don’t think I wasn’t pissed off that I couldn’t play polo with Gil because of that unimportant matter he had to speak of. You know, those peasant things we call “fans”, is that correct speak?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

yeah I suppose the original's usually the best..
don't worry about missing the polo game. You can catch up with the Gil at the peasant hunt next week. Any fans that misbehaved are let loose in the forest Hunger Games style. And to be fair they get a 2 minute head start!
Actually fans isn't correct speak. I think assets and liabilities is the term used now.

You can guarantee that Peter Gordon never visited these places back then!!!!

My old man has told me some stories about the punch ons between supporters at the rising sun. No way Gordo even walked passed the joint

yeah I suppose the original's usually the best..
don't worry about missing the polo game. You can catch up with the Gil at the peasant hunt next week. Any fans that misbehaved are let loose in the forest Hunger Games style. And to be fair they get a 2 minute head start!
Actually fans isn't correct speak. I think assets and liabilities is the term used now.

I see you have played peasant, whoops, i mean "pheasant" hunt with Gil before. Has he given you a ride in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet? Fabulous contraption.

Agree 100% with the social media stuff.

I keep hearing this thing about participation awards and it doesn't make sense to me. Firstly, how do participation awards insulate young people from hardship etc? That's what people parrot but when you first get a migraine, first time you get a sore tooth, the first time you get rejected by a girl you like, the first time your mates ditch you, when you realise you're not the smartest kid in the class, when you don't get picked for the first 18 football team, when you don't get nominated as captain....etc etc etc. you're going to feel pretty damn miserable...Are we seriously all pretending that "helicopter parents" and participation awards have any ability whatsoever to dampen the inevitable hardship that all young people face and reduce suffering?

Secondly, in an age of increasing mental illness, rewarding participation in sports, real life activities and non internet social meetings is hugely important and shouldn't be scoffed at. All psychological studies point to the fact that rewarding effort has a far more profound impact on children's continuation and thriving in a field than rewarding anything else.

Someone like that idiot Nick Kyrgios doesn't quit because he's been conditioned to "participate" and work hard. He's been told he's the best his whole life and he's so darn scared of failure and looking dumb in front of his peers that he gives up. Better to give up and not look like you tried and weren't good enough.

Agree 100% with the social media stuff.

I keep hearing this thing about participation awards and it doesn't make sense to me. Firstly, how do participation awards insulate young people from hardship etc? That's what people parrot but when you first get a migraine, first time you get a sore tooth, the first time you get rejected by a girl you like, the first time your mates ditch you, when you realise you're not the smartest kid in the class, when you don't get picked for the first 18 football team, when you don't get nominated as captain....etc etc etc. you're going to feel pretty damn miserable...Are we seriously all pretending that "helicopter parents" and participation awards have any ability whatsoever to dampen the inevitable hardship that all young people face and reduce suffering?

Secondly, in an age of increasing mental illness, rewarding participation in sports, real life activities and non internet social meetings is hugely important and shouldn't be scoffed at. All psychological studies point to the fact that rewarding effort has a far more profound impact on children's continuation and thriving in a field than rewarding anything else.

Someone like that idiot Nick Kyrgios doesn't quit because he's been conditioned to "participate" and work hard. He's been told he's the best his whole life and he's so darn scared of failure and looking dumb in front of his peers that he gives up. Better to give up and not look like you tried and weren't good enough.
As Sinek says they don't work because they cheapen the achievement felt by the person who won their award on merit. Additionally for some people who keep getting participation awards, it inflats their ego. You may not remember why you got the award but you will remember the feeling. If you have done this to a child from a young age then they will believe they are actually better than they really are.

From there it can be mentally challenging for these kids to come to realisation that you get sweet FA for coming in second, third, fourth or even last.

As Sinek says they don't work because they cheapen the achievement felt by the person who won their award on merit. Additionally for some people who keep getting participation awards, it inflats their ego. You may not remember why you got the award but you will remember the feeling. If you have done this to a child from a young age then they will believe they are actually better than they really are.

From there it can be mentally challenging for these kids to come to realisation that you get sweet FA for coming in second, third, fourth or even last.

And I reckon that's a load of crap. My U11 best and fairest award that I won wasn't cheapened because everyone else in the team got participation awards.
People got rewarded for their participation on merit. They turned up and they got rewarded. I played the best and got that award on its merits.

Nobody gets through their childhood and certainly not their teenage years without suffering at some point. That's life. We all deal with it.

Ps you do get rewarded in the big bad world for coming second, third and even last. I get paid every fortnight for my work despite being second best in the office at my job.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with rewarding kids participation. It's a silly argument and bizarre to blame current youth problems on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back