News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Can’t see it anywhere. It must be next to the unicorn stables and the bunyip enclosure.
Think it's in the circled area on Lvl 1 (link for pdf)

1625625107788.png

Maybe on Lvl2 as well, the seats look different, could be railing with cup holders? In a similar area to Lvl 1 (actually pretty sure it's continuation of what is shown on the Lvl1 plan).
1625625199660.png

This shows the Lvl3 plan, I think it's pretty clear that the Lvl2 section on Moorabool st will be where the standing room is, if anywhere at all. It looks different to the seats above, below and to the side of it.

1625625298271.png

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Cool side note, they're putting in a Cricket Commentary Box right up the top above all the seats.

1625625844917.png

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Here we go, found the meat.

You can see the bays next to each other of similar size (showing the egress patterns, ergo how many people are sitting in each bay)

1625626013527.png

The theoretical standing room bays from above show a 50% increase or so in expected people, so I reckon that's where the standing room will be. A massive section and proper soccer style, not tucked away in the back like the MCG. Will be the envy of the league. Good job GFC for giving the fans an amazing outcome.

edit: Adding up all the standing room bays (not all shown above), max capacity of 2,380 people.

stevothedevo

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2007
Leftfield
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are others?
That is amazing news about this new found standing room. And here I was hoping for the scraps under the south east scoreboard. Might delete that post in case the GFC get wind of it and change their mind.

Moley Russels Wart

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Shut down Moorabool St, like Brunton Avenue and restructure all that eastern side. Yes...in our dreams and surely it may have been thought of ?
Minimum crowd numbers for home finals would be 50k, not sure what the current planned estimates are but anything less and opposition fans will whinge. AO has 50k, Perth is 60k. We deserve home finals, and it would be great for the big Melbourne clubs to get down there.

Don't think you need to go that far, if they are planning on a 40k capacity they could easily restructure a little to get it to ~42 or maybe even 44k. That would be big enough to make it very very hard for there to be any capacity reason not to play any match against any opposition at geelong.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't think you need to go that far, if they are planning on a 40k capacity they could easily restructure a little to get it to ~42 or maybe even 44k. That would be big enough to make it very very hard for there to be any capacity reason not to play any match against any opposition at geelong.

The contracts with MCG need to be readjusted ... clubs that sell games need to compensate the ground they have move the game from. In real terms at them moment. Hawthorn sells games ..for ..lets say 1 Million a game... then Geelong have to play at the G. Unless its a big crowd Geelong lose.. as they make 1.2 to 1.4 for a full house at KP.

I don't think its quite as simple as crowd numbers KP ..just being able to have 40,000+ so we play all games at KP.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The contracts with MCG need to be readjusted ... clubs that sell games need to compensate the ground they have move the game from. In real terms at them moment. Hawthorn sells games ..for ..lets say 1 Million a game... then Geelong have to play at the G. Unless its a big crowd Geelong lose.. as they make 1.2 to 1.4 for a full house at KP.

I don't think its quite as simple as crowd numbers KP ..just being able to have 40,000+ so we play all games at KP.
Really, Hawthorn should be paying us for those games they move from the G to Tasmania. Why do they get to profit, and we get punished for it. Ridiculous.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Time for the club to make a stand.
No wonder Hawthorn are financially well off.
The club should not compromise and ask to play all of its home games there including finals.
Other clubs get this right.
Just need one of those contracts like what the SA teams have with the new Adelaide Oval. Get some lawyer to write up a real doozy of a contract between the club and the Geelong Council that forces us to play 11 games there a year for some silly reason.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just need one of those contracts like what the SA teams have with the new Adelaide Oval. Get some lawyer to write up a real doozy of a contract between the club and the Geelong Council that forces us to play 11 games there a year for some silly reason.
I'd hope it would be part of the Stage 5 redevelopment. 11 games (+ finals in weeks 1+2) to be played at KP. Surely it's in both the city council and state gov's best interests considering all the money poured in. If Port/Adelaide can have water tight contracts, surely we can too.

bcvtrls3

Draftee
Jul 26, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Shut down Moorabool St, like Brunton Avenue and restructure all that eastern side. Yes...in our dreams and surely it may have been thought of ?
Minimum crowd numbers for home finals would be 50k, not sure what the current planned estimates are but anything less and opposition fans will whinge. AO has 50k, Perth is 60k. We deserve home finals, and it would be great for the big Melbourne clubs to get down there.

I totally second this.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Some news re stadium

First part of the article

"Geelong will be given a $142 million free kick by the state government with work on the fifth and final redevelopment stage of Kardinia Park to begin at the end of the AFL season.

The Andrews Government will on Thursday announce the builder and start date of the latest upgrade to the Cats’ home ground at GMHBA Stadium and the greater Kardinia Park precinct.

At the heart of the revamp is construction of a 14,000 capacity, two-tier northern stand to replace the ageing Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace."

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Some news re stadium

First part of the article

"Geelong will be given a $142 million free kick by the state government with work on the fifth and final redevelopment stage of Kardinia Park to begin at the end of the AFL season.

The Andrews Government will on Thursday announce the builder and start date of the latest upgrade to the Cats’ home ground at GMHBA Stadium and the greater Kardinia Park precinct.

At the heart of the revamp is construction of a 14,000 capacity, two-tier northern stand to replace the ageing Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace."
Awesome. Can't believe they've kept a fair chunk of standing room in a good location too.

Can't wait for it to be open in 2023 with 11 home games and all home finals.

Hoping for more like 50k, especially with the increasing membership numbers each yr.

think that would require a full stadium redevelopment all being done at once - so losing access to home games for a couple of years while the stadium is knocked down and rebuilt

not sure that would be given serious consideration though

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Hoping for more like 50k, especially with the increasing membership numbers each yr.
My recollection is that the original plans from the club was for a 50k capacity stadium but the league would not agree to it and said it had to be kept to 40k. It was never clear if it was for financial purposes of if the AFL did not want a stadium of that size out of Melbourne. Always seemed short sighted to me. Need to allow for population growth plus if we had a stadium of 50k supporters of Melbourne clubs would be more likely to make the trip down if they knew they could get a seat.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
think that would require a full stadium redevelopment all being done at once - so losing access to home games for a couple of years while the stadium is knocked down and rebuilt

not sure that would be given serious consideration though

How could we do that at KP? The size of the ground and MStreet would put the brakes on id have thought.

Nice to have dreams I guess...Perhaps if Australia ever get the soccer world cup... they will change KP to a Soccer ground , a shape of ground that suits it location and a shape which will probably be needed in the geelong area sometime in the 21century .... and then build a new stadium from scratch for us MCG size, indoor venue ... perhaps next to the current one or in a new location

Sweet Dream ares made of this .....

Honestly I think 40 thousand is more than enough ... I doubt we ever see it filled.I will happily eat my words the first time we get to 40G for a H&A game against an interstate team who we seem to mainly play against. The report will come out tomorrow about a Tas team... so theres is another interstate team we will play at KP

Last edited:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Never going to happen with the ground right up against Moorabool St. Would need to shut the whole place down and move it west towards La Trobe. Maybe one day the Reg Hickey could be rebuilt to go over Moorabool to get it up to 45-50k but I doubt for another 10-20 years.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Never going to happen with the ground right up against Moorabool St. Would need to shut the whole place down and move it west towards La Trobe. Maybe one day the Reg Hickey could be rebuilt to go over Moorabool to get it up to 45-50k but I doubt for another 10-20 years.
It will never ever happen. Well if you lived to 140 and the population was 5mil in Geelong it's a chance.
The MCG has sat at 100,000 for 50 years.

40,000 at Geelong is plenty.
As someone once told me. He was so busy he lifted his fees by 30%.
He lost 30% of customers.
Same money, less work.
That's what will happen at AFL grounds.

Back