Club Focus Gold Coast 2021 - Chol, Andrew, Constable

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow ok, didn’t realised uwland had been recognised.

he has definitely shown a bit in a couple of the vfl games but also looked quite slow in others. I’ll say he doesn’t play like a 17-18 year old.

I like the hodge comparison knightnare has given him! Doubt he gets anywhere near that good - wasn’t even sure on his draft chances. But he does play with that hard edge. Strong for his age.

Wow ok, didn’t realised uwland had been recognised.

he has definitely shown a bit in a couple of the vfl games but also looked quite slow in others. I’ll say he doesn’t play like a 17-18 year old.

I like the hodge comparison knightnare has given him! Doubt he gets anywhere near that good - wasn’t even sure on his draft chances. But he does play with that hard edge. Strong for his age.

Would any of these options work? May have to be stuff coming back too.

McGovern + Gaff for pick 5
Ladhams + Hartlett for 2nd rounder
Bolton + CCJ for pick 5
Hopper + Flynn for pick 5
Weiderman and Petty for pick 5

Hard to establish proper value for draft picks these days. GC need talent, and may need to overpay slightly.

Bolton + CCJ for pick 5

Hard to establish proper value for draft picks these days. GC need talent, and may need to overpay slightly.
I don't think Port or Richmond go for those options. Melbourne and West Coast would bite your hand off

Take Devon Smith from us please, Smith + future first for GC pick 5

Bolton + CCJ for pick 5

Bolton for your next 2 first picks, well maybe first and 2nd.He's seriously one of the top young talents in the AFL. If pick 5 was his equal you would be very happy.

CCJ for .... I don't know. On proven performance late first. On potential pick 5. So how much do you want him? A number of teams are apparently chasing him, and the Tigers want him to stay. So somewhere from 5 to 20ish. I guess it all depends on the teams chasing him and how much they are willing to offer, to both him and the Tigers.

Bolton for your next 2 first picks, well maybe first and 2nd.He's seriously one of the top young talents in the AFL. If pick 5 was his equal you would be very happy.

CCJ for .... I don't know. On proven performance late first. On potential pick 5. So how much do you want him? A number of teams are apparently chasing him, and the Tigers want him to stay. So somewhere from 5 to 20ish. I guess it all depends on the teams chasing him and how much they are willing to offer, to both him and the Tigers.
Suns currently have 19 and 24. One of those for CCJ. No way in the world is he worth 5.

Bolton would never move to the Suns imo. He'll sign on at Richmond soon.

I won't disagree re: Bolton, but CCJ isn't worth even remotely close to Pick 5. He's played 6 games (only 1 being outstanding) since being take in the early 2nd round four years ago. If you got a late 1st you'd be laughing. If you got Pick 5, Gold Coast's list manager would need to be investigated

How is CCJ “proven performance” a first round pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking more CCJ for a swap of 1sts and next years 2nd from GC. Similar to the Higgins trade but the big man bonus.
Are you taking swap of firsts as in pick 5? That won’t happen, no way they’ll involve pick 5 for CCJ. Pick 19 outright feels about right

Why are GCS supporters so certain he is leaving? Hasn't he come in and played quite well the last few weeks, and still contracted for a couple of years?
I think ideally most of us would like him and Brodie to stay, but when the coach banishes them to the reserves with no hope of getting a game no matter how well they're playing, I think we imagine they would both rather move to greener pastures. Was consistently racking up 40+ touches and a goal in the reserves for the whole year and didn't get a look in until a month ago when Swallow/Greenwood/Anderson were all injured. Has been great since.

preferably I'd love to keep him. He's not the quickest bloke but is a great linking player, can rack up heaps of touches, runs all day, and can find the goals. He's just not very versatile.

I think ideally most of us would like him and Brodie to stay, but when the coach banishes them to the reserves with no hope of getting a game no matter how well they're playing, I think we imagine they would both rather move to greener pastures. Was consistently racking up 40+ touches and a goal in the reserves for the whole year and didn't get a look in until a month ago when Swallow/Greenwood/Anderson were all injured. Has been great since.

preferably I'd love to keep him. He's not the quickest bloke but is a great linking player, can rack up heaps of touches, runs all day, and can find the goals. He's just not very versatile.
Think the goals are dependent on role.
57 games 18 goals for 1 every 3 games is fairly poor for a mid.
Weirdly has kicked 2 goals in 4 games. Mostly in earlier years when was playing more outside than inside roles that he plays now.

You seem quite biased in my eyes. Yes, Fiorini is a great person and teammate, no doubt. But as far his performance and standing in the team, he is not best 22. Greenwood, Swallow are well ahead of him for that inside position where he can only play. So in reality he is a depth, especially when Flanders, Anderson, Rowell are obvious priority to develop in midfield and Hollands, Davies are waiting in the wing.

AFL reducing salary cap due to covid and extra priority picks bringing Anderson and Flanders no doubt affected the list management. Most probably at least one of Brodie or Fiorini will leave. It looks like Brodie is gone if he gets any interest from other clubs.

I watched every VFL game, and honestly if you think that Fiorini could not do any more re-watch the games. If anybody should get a chance when Greenwood and Anderson went down it was Brodie for me. Fiorini was very ordinary in some games with terrible disposal, slow, giving up chase on multiple occasions, slacking on defence.

IMHO, against Richmond, Fiorini was the worst Suns player in the first half. In the second half he improved and against GWS and WB he was pretty good. No doubt he can play at AFL level but with Suns he will continue to be a depth in future unless injuries struck.

Last edited:
You seem quite biased in my eyes. Yes, Fiorini is a great person and teammate, no doubt. But as far his performance and standing in the team, he is not best 22. Greenwood, Swallow are well ahead of him for that inside position where he can only play. So in reality he is a depth, especially when Flanders, Anderson, Rowell are obvious priority to develop in midfield and Hollands, Davies are waiting in the wing.

AFL reducing salary cap due to covid and extra priority picks bringing Anderson and Flanders no doubt affected the list management. Most probably at least one of Brodie or Fiorini will leave. It looks like Brodie is gone if he gets any interest from other clubs.

I watched every VFL game, and honestly if you think that Fiorini could not do any more re-watch the games. If anybody should get a chance when Greenwood and Anderson went down it was Brodie for me. Fiorini was very ordinary in some games with terrible disposal, slow, giving up chase on multiple occasions, slacking on defence.

IMHO, against Richmond, Fiorini was the worst Suns player in the first half. In the second half he improved and against GWS and WB he was pretty good. No doubt he can play at AFL level but with Suns he will continue to be a depth in future unless injuries struck.
It’s hardly a biased take to say a guy getting 40+ in the reserves deserved more than one recall in the last 2 years. Especially when Rowell and Anderson have been horribly out of form or coming back from injuries at various stages this year and Greenwood is now out for the season (although I do agree Brodie was the more deserving of the two of them but this thread is about Fiorini)

If we were Geelong or Richmond or Brisbane I’d understand a coaching panels hesitancy to bring in players outside of a proven line up, especially midfielders but we as a club won one game after round 7 last year and are currently sitting in 14th after going 1 - 6 between round 8 - 15. There's enough of a sample size there to say some pieces need to be moved around to get results and Fiorini has shown he's very capable at AFL level and has been in great form in the reserves.

the last 3 weeks since he came in he’s averaged 27.3 touches, 6 clearances and 6.3 tackles which is ranked 2nd in all three stats for the Suns in that space of time behind Touk, so he's clearly not that big of a defensive liability, although I agree he often doesn't have the leg speed to chase down line breaking players and just gives up the chase.

If he does get moved on I think we'd get a 3rd or a 4th round pick and frankly I just think he's worth more than that to us as a team, but I expect he and Brodie both will be quality players for whoever takes them like Lyons has been (who was also constantly overlooked for perceived shortcomings by our coaching staff).

Suns currently have 19 and 24. One of those for CCJ. No way in the world is he worth 5.

Bolton would never move to the Suns imo. He'll sign on at Richmond soon.

Yeah. I'd say fair for CCJ at 19. But then I don't do trades. rumours are that some clubs really rate him, including the tiges. I don't know. I see a good solid KPF. I don't see the 2nd coming of Royce Hart. But as soon as you get a bidding war it all changes. We'll see come October

I won't disagree re: Bolton, but CCJ isn't worth even remotely close to Pick 5. He's played 6 games (only 1 being outstanding) since being take in the early 2nd round four years ago. If you got a late 1st you'd be laughing. If you got Pick 5, Gold Coast's list manager would need to be investigated

See my other post. Last first definitely, pick 5 would be amazing. If the recruiters rated him then yes, it would be unusual but not unique.

How is CCJ “proven performance” a first round pick?

VFL he's way ahead of the level. At AFL he has shown that he can be a good KPF, nothing more. 200cm KPF that can clunk a mark and kick goals are worth a lot. Especially when young. End of 1st round is about right for me atm. But as rumours are multiple clubs are chasing him hard then things can escalate quickly. Wait a couple of months and we'll see.

I hope he stays

Remove this Banner Ad

Back