Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's McHenry who is tiresome.
Tiresomely ineffective.

Look closely at McHenry after he's marked and lining up for goal from not-far out.
I saw fear, not determination, and didn't think for a moment he'd kick that goal.

The clincher for me was with around 3 and a half minutes to play in the 3rd quarter.
The heat is on and Ned takes possession I50.
Does he fire out a quick handball even to move the ball forward? NO. Just showed more fear, indecision, clueless, hung on to the ball, tackled/htb ==> turnover.
He has NO composure or creative ability under pressure.
I praised McHenry to the hilt for his good work in creating the Tex goal, last week.

Nankervis should have started ahead of McHenry tonight, McHenry sub. Smith should not have played.
The blame is on Nicks who is the main reason we drew tonight, aided and abetted by his Golden try-hard-Boy, McHenry and his cooked Leader, Smith.
how was Keays game in the first half -first saw him just on half time. Laird has missed nearly all kicks at goal all his life.

The problem is when does McSpudry ever play a good game?
All the others you mentioned besides Curtin who is a 2nd game player, have had impact this year. McSpudry adds absolutely nothing week after week.
We would lose nothing by dropping him and playing someone like Taylor or Dowling.
McSpudry hasn't improved at all from his 1st game until now.
He's dead weight. Drop and de-list is the only answer.
Mcfumbles has actually regressed this year for disposals and tackles.

It's hard to comprehend how you get worse from averaging 11 disposals a game, but hats off to him, he did it.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good
  • Rankine. Was good in the midfield and good up forward.
  • Dawson. When he actually had CBAs, was playing well. Dropped some contested marks he should've taken and had a chance to win it, but he was one of our better players and helped get us back into the game late.
  • Fogarty. Missed a crucial shot, but stepped up on a day that Tex went missing.
  • Michalanney. Thought he did a good job on Charlie.

Okay
  • Laird, Crouch and Soligo. Though Laird and Crouch were good at extracting the ball and we need these tough insiders, their disposal out of the pack wasn't always the best.
  • ROB. What I really hate is when ROB gets a clearance, because he (as most ruckman would do) is throws the ball onto the boot to no one in particular. If he has a clean clearance, he should be looking to handpass it off to someone who is free, not just throwing it on the boot.
  • Sholl and Himmelberg had decent games.

Bad
  • McHenry and Jones.
  • Nank as the sub
  • Curtin doesn't look up to AFL standard
  • Smithers is way past his prime. Half the time he was on 1st, 2nd year players. His experience didn't show.
  • Butts. He's only playing because he's better than Borlase, which is questionable.

Ugly
- Game in the balance and the final CBAs had Laird, Crouch and Soligo with Dawson on the wing. This was after Dawson had been dominating and had the last centre clearance. Dawson even said that Brisbane had a lot of big bodied midfielders, so to have Laird and Crouch who are exactly the same type of extractors is silly.
Curtain doesn't look up to AFL standard - 19 2nd game played out of position did good things with the ball better re think that one - keays did even see him the whole first half Laird disposal wasn't the best > is the worst ever in any club

He was also playing on Ah Chee, who was their most dangerous forward (after Cameron) at the time. They could've put him on second gamer Logan Morris, or 2nd year player Lohmann?
He did play on Logan Morris most of the time, who kicked two goals in the first half. He was on Ah Chee at the stoppage where he got his first goal, and gave away the free kick for Hipwood's goal as well. Nobody in defence is ever just on one player, but Morris was his main opponent.

Boy wouldn’t we be a better side had we have midfielders that can kick goals. Brisbane basically saved themselves the game with their midfielders getting forward to kick goals whilst our only midfield option that can kick a goal almost won us the game.

Soligo, Laird & Crouch need to get better at being damaging going forward. Brisbane midfielders do this so well and regularly

Attachments

• IMG_5199.jpeg
    IMG_5199.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 38
If McLuggage is gettable, get him.

Would compliment and improve our midfield set up.

Push Laird to HB. Smithers retired.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Traeding water moving Laird back, should trade for whatever upgrade we can get on our first or second rounder. Could him and a second get a first from a top 6 side? We pay the bulk of his salary and they get midfield depth for their flag push.

I think he should have foreseen the possibility of someone getting injured before wasting the sub with half the game left
Possibly. Brisbane's forwards under 190cm were clearly causing issues for our defense who are mostly 190cm plus. Nank is 190cm but he certainly can play smaller.

I think Nicks was trying to address this issue. If he didn't and Ah Chee, Cameron etc kicked on in the 3rd then people on here would be crucifying Nicks for not subbing a taller player earlier.

It was a bit over his head but he didn't even jump for it.
As much as I think Rachele has talent to burn, I'll be blunt.
I reckon if it's not lace-out down his throat, he's just not interested.

Rachele needs to accept that at AFL level he's not the star he used to be, knuckle down and give 100% for the team.
He spoiled Tex with a one-arm jump on the lead a few games ago (I have a long memory), he hears footsteps and plays like he resents not being the forward line focus like he once was.
His youth (plenty of time to learn) could be a plus if/when he realises and accepts it's not about him.

Let’s not judge Curtin’s career off playing in a role in his second game that he should not be playing
Do you not know bigfooty?

This board is still judging Rachele off his first 2 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boy wouldn’t we be a better side had we have midfielders that can kick goals. Brisbane basically saved themselves the game with their midfielders getting forward to kick goals whilst our only midfield option that can kick a goal almost won us the game.

Soligo, Laird & Crouch need to get better at being damaging going forward. Brisbane midfielders do this so well and regularly
Remember the good old days when our midfielders were also goal kickers: McLeod, Goodwin, Ricciuto, Edwards, Douglas.
Do you not know bigfooty?

This board is still judging Rachele off his first 2 games.
Was that first game the best game he's every played?

the more game time left the more chance of an injury. Thats why it was a bad call. Nicks gambled and lost. I agree, you could do that another 10 times and no injury. Its a gamble. But the sub is the sub to cover injuries, not to replace kids who are struggling.
Nothing wrong with tactical subs. For example bringing off a tall to get an extra small is perfectly fine if it fits the game state and helps counter the opposition. Most games you don't need the sub to cover an injury. Doesn't mean this specific sub was correct (I think it was fine), but it's not just for injuries.

the more game time left the more chance of an injury. Thats why it was a bad call. Nicks gambled and lost. I agree, you could do that another 10 times and no injury. Its a gamble. But the sub is the sub to cover injuries, not to replace kids who are ststruggling.
The sub is the sub for whatever is needed. If it was just for injuries then there would be rules around only using it when a player is injured.

Nothing wrong with tactical subs. For example bringing off a tall to get an extra small is perfectly fine if it fits the game state and helps counter the opposition. Most games you don't need the sub to cover an injury. Doesn't mean this specific sub was correct (I think it was fine), but it's not just for injuries.

The sub was never designed to be used as a 23rd man, they are there to cover injuries. There was everything wrong with doing a sub at half time and Nicks deserves to be smashed for that. We got an injury which this damn irrational half time sub cost us a replacement.

It should never have happened.

The sub is the sub for whatever is needed. If it was just for injuries then there would be rules around only using it when a player is injured.

Im all for tactical subs, just not at half time. It wasn't needed.

But if you want to happy clap the terrible treatment of our prize debutant who we need to be at the club long after Nicks departs go for it i guess.

Not useless, just extremely limited and we pushed him outside those limits today once Worrell went down and he didn't know what to do.
Except for that god damn beautiful hand pass to hinge I think just on defensive side of the square, in tight with 3 brissy players around, led to a goal. I thought “**** me” who is our new 195cm mid?

The sub was never designed to be used as a 23rd man, they are there to cover injuries. There was everything wrong with doing a sub at half time and Nicks deserves to be smashed for that. We got an injury which this damn irrational half time sub cost us a replacement.

It should never have happened.
Who cares what it was designed for? It's a tool to try and win games, you can use it however helps the team the most. Absolutely if you use it early and then get injuries you could cost the team, it's a risky move, but it's not a bad idea just because it's a risk.

Saying it's only for injuries is just wrong, people use it to inject extra run in the game all the time. Geelong subbed out their ruckman early in the game on Friday night for example because he was having a shit game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back