Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The injury was not forseeable.
HOWEVER, what a good Coach would have done is give Curtin a gee-up at half-time, move him out of defence, tell him to go for it and make Nicks keep him on the ground.
But no, not our Nicks.
Dragged the kid, has probably set him back in confidence, then the Worrell injury-shat hit the fan.

Bad, bad Coaching.
This is exactly why he needs to be sacked

IF you have to ask this, you weren't watching carefully
He was beaten as a defender.

Long term that is not his role.

Move him to wing or even HB.

Start his midfield education.

IF we wasted pick 8, after trading to get that pick, and see him as a pure defender, Then our club can not identify talent.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No. I agree with most in regards to most players.

It's just the pack not noticing mchenrys/robs strengths and only focusing on their weaknesses that piss me off. This is probably robs wnd best season (behind 2020). Sure he is dropping the intercept marks which brings out the attacks on him. But besides that. Name 1 game this year, or heck last year where he was soundly beaten

...... watch someone name a game I didn't see (only the Melbourne game this year)
Agree to disagree

He was beaten as a defender.

Long term that is not his role.

Move him to wing or even HB.

Start his midfield education.

IF we wasted pick 8, after trading to get that pick, and see him as a pure defender, Then our club can not identify talent.

What does 'HB' mean to you? If Curtin plays across HB he's still going to need to have a defensive role. That means when the ball goes into the D50 he needs to have defensive presence and pick someone up, he needs to cover players at stoppages so they don't get free goalside, he needs to complete for marks, he needs to kill the ball when its on the goal line etc. Those are the things he struggled with today. He wasn't playing full back on Joe Daniher and getting beaten by a power forward.

Nobody gets to hide at AFL level, defensive work is going to be part of Curtin's entire career. Luckily he's 19 and has played 2 games so one poor performance is not a big deal, but the idea that he should not be defending at all is just nonsense.

The Good:

Soligo - has been a revelation. Gun.
Rankine - superstar. Such a joy to watch.
Dawson - great game
Himmelberg - not a fan but was okay.
Rachelle - drifted in and out of the game but credit must be given for twice putting his body on the line when he had to.
Fogarty - great game. Looked a genuine key forward.
Crouch

The Bad:

Nicks - subbing of Curtin. Conservatism is killing this club and making it really hard for supporters to keep the faith.
Worrells injury
Jones and McHenry - both spuds, both not AFL standard. Disheartening for supporters to see these spuds getting games week after week.
Laird - the momentum killer.
Cook - We must persist with but FFS show some passion, grit and aggression.
Keane - I have been pleasantly surprised so far in 24 but all my initial concerns came to the fore. Was out bodied and out smarted by a genuine key forward. Poor game.
Sholl - sanfl footballer. Would dread taking him into a final.
Smith - time to hang them up.
The use of Curtin. Looks like we really did use pick 8 on a defender.

Last edited:
The player I can't just place today is fog. Lots of great things done today. But his man intercepted the ball quite a bit today.

Fog/walker/rankine/Rachele would be touted on this board as a great game.

But if keays/mchenry and even cook gave up as many intercept marks as fog/walker did. This board will be ripping into them.

I'll still say good game
But if he didn't lose as many contests as he did. We probably win by 2-3 goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I think Rachele has talent to burn, I'll be blunt.
I reckon if it's not lace-out down his throat, he's just not interested.

Rachele needs to accept that at AFL level he's not the star he used to be, knuckle down and give 100% for the team.
He spoiled Tex with a one-arm jump on the lead a few games ago (I have a long memory), he hears footsteps and plays like he resents not being the forward line focus like he once was.
His youth (plenty of time to learn) could be a plus if/when he realises and accepts it's not about him.
Mate I was joking. Could have had Rachele sitting on Obrien's shoulders and he wouldn't have gotten to that ball.

The player I can't just place today is fog. Lots of great things done today. But his man intercepted the ball quite a bit today.

Fog/walker/rankine/Rachele would be touted on this board as a great game.

But if keays/mchenry and even cook gave up as many intercept marks as fog/walker did. This board will be ripping into them.

I'll still say good game
But if he didn't lose as many contests as he did. We probably win by 2-3 goals

Fog was good, I'm one of his bigger critics but tonight he stood up and was b1g.

Gotta mention it as he eggfaced me bad the past two weeks.

Sholls running back with the flight was deadset courageous. He could have got himself really hurt but didn't even hesitate.

Bravo

If you asked an AFL footballer - what’s more difficult to run through - the banner or Lachie Sholl, they’d all pick the banner.

Fog was good, I'm one of his bigger critics but tonight he stood up and was b1g.
Yet on the Brisbane board they're saying their 2 best players were fogs and walkers opposition.

You see the conundrum here. Fog did lots of good. But his man did lots of good too. I'm almost willing to say it's a dead heat in that contest. Without fog we lose. Without payne they lose.

Yet on the Brisbane board they're saying their 2 best players were fogs and walkers opposition.

You see the conundrum here. Fog did lots of good. But his man did lots of good too. I'm almost willing to say it's a dead heat in that contest. Without fog we lose. Without payne they lose.
Payne was on Walker and Andrews was on Himmelberg.

Some of our kicking to the forwards was woeful too don't forget.

Overall think our forwards broke even as topical as that is to say,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back