Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I love subtle, polite replies like this:
What are you on about?
Well, I thought it was clear, but I'm happy to explain just for you :sneaky:, because you asked so nicely :rolleyesv1:.
I think Rachele is an immensely talented kid with great potential,
BUT
he's found out that he's a little fish in a big pond and not the star he used to be back with the Shepparton Swans.
In short, 'rash' is brash and it shows most games; often, he knows when to go but he doesn't know always when to whoa, instead intercepting/spoiling passes meant for teammates and jumping half-heartedly with one hand when the delivery is not to his liking (or not at all sometimes when he hears footsteps, of which many other posters have been critical).
Rachele put his body on the line with 2 minutes to go and stopped Rayner getting a mark on 50. Should have been a free.
OK, but I'm not getting frothy about Rachele doing something he should do at every contest, ie put his body on the line every time for 100 minutes.
He's 15th in the AFL for goal assists, in what way is that 'not for the team'?
Rachele picks and chooses when he goes and when he whoas, unlike say, Michalanney/Soligo/Keays and others who go at full bore 100% of the time. Rachele is our now-you-see-me-now-you-don't kid and he can dazzle, but goes missing for extended periods.
It's ok; he's a kid.
Fogarty went through a similar (arrogant to earned-his-stripes) transition when he realised he wasn't the biggest-bodied, hard bull on the ground at AFL level.
Averaging 17 disposals, 1 goal, 1 goal assist and 6 score involvements per game this year, they're very good numbers for his position.
In another post, I said I love that he's ours. Some of his party tricks (eg those fabulous handballs between oppo players' legs) are jaw-dropping and his symbiosis with Rankine is thrilling.
Not once did I say he didn't contribute and the numbers you quote are good, but doesn't he just loooove it when he kicks that one goal a game? If there was time, he'd do a lap of honour.

Rachele just has a few rough edges, a lot like, say, a rough diamond that the AFL will smooth out in time.
I look forward to watching his development and expect that he'll be elite for us.

In the meantime, I'd like him to pull his head in a little and be a bit less about himself.
I don't doubt that he will.

Getting a bit sick of the ‘group think’ Sholl critics on here. Has been good the last 2 weeks. Was brave on a few occasions today. Starting to show his weapons more consistently and growing in confidence. Still only 60 games
Depends what your priority is. If your goal isn't to build a team of players who have the size and game to stand up in the pressure cooker that is finals then stick with Sholl.

We played against a side that competed in the grand final team last year. Although they have started poorly, like us, they have started getting back into last year's form. They had a few injuries to key players, as with us. Under the circumstances, I think that we played rather well over the 4 quarters. It was a a great contested, finals like style of game and we managed to to find some form. I particularly liked the performances of Fog and Dawson. Fog presented the best he had all year. HBerg had a good game and deserves to keep his spot. His passing skill for a big man is almost up there with TEX. IT was sad to see Curtin subbed at half time, particularly with the injury to Worrel soon after. It was also sad that Nank was the initial sub. I think, despite the feelings around here, that Ned actually did well in the last quarter and would have been the best sub. The umps seemed to favour us a bit for most of the match, but we seemed to have got reemed at the first part of the last quarter. They did not pay many marks that would have been paid regularly, which favoured us on occasions. So overall, I don't think we can complain.

I love subtle, polite replies like this:

Well, I thought it was clear, but I'm happy to explain just for you :sneaky:, because you asked so nicely :rolleyesv1:.
I think Rachele is an immensely talented kid with great potential,
BUT
he's found out that he's a little fish in a big pond and not the star he used to be back with the Shepparton Swans.
In short, 'rash' is brash and it shows most games; often, he knows when to go but he doesn't know always when to whoa, instead intercepting/spoiling passes meant for teammates and jumping half-heartedly with one hand when the delivery is not to his liking (or not at all sometimes when he hears footsteps, of which many other posters have been critical).

OK, but I'm not getting frothy about Rachele doing something he should do at every contest, ie put his body on the line every time for 100 minutes.

Rachele picks and chooses when he goes and when he whoas, unlike say, Michalanney/Soligo/Keays and others who go at full bore 100% of the time. Rachele is our now-you-see-me-now-you-don't kid and he can dazzle, but goes missing for extended periods.
It's ok; he's a kid.
Fogarty went through a similar (arrogant to earned-his-stripes) transition when he realised he wasn't the biggest-bodied, hard bull on the ground at AFL level.

In another post, I said I love that he's ours. Some of his party tricks (eg those fabulous handballs between oppo players' legs) are jaw-dropping and his symbiosis with Rankine is thrilling.
Not once did I say he didn't contribute and the numbers you quote are good, but doesn't he just loooove it when he kicks that one goal a game? If there was time, he'd do a lap of honour.

Rachele just has a few rough edges, a lot like, say, a rough diamond that the AFL will smooth out in time.
I look forward to watching his development and expect that he'll be elite for us.

In the meantime, I'd like him to pull his head in a little and be a bit less about himself.
I don't doubt that he will.
He put his body on the line multiple times today. The players would love having him out there and I’m sure do not share any of the same concerns you do. He’s dangerous around F50, gives off plenty of goals and scores and was pushing back in his D50 late in the 4th to put his body on the line. That’s a team player and a guy with immense talent starting to put together more consistent games.

Thought he was fantastic today. Courageous mark running back with the flight early, offensively looking good and hitting scoreboard frequently, and then did well to contest a kick I50 from Charlie late in the 4th that looked an easy Brisbane mark with 3 on 1 against Sholl.
Trying to figure out if I feel sick for drinking too much or agreeing with you

Mate I was joking. Could have had Rachele sitting on Obrien's shoulders and he wouldn't have gotten to that ball.
Apologies, I missed it.
What I didn't like is that Rachele did not even turn around to chase the ball into the pocket, but I have not watched a replay so I might have misjudged it.

He’s dangerous around F50, gives off plenty of goals and scores and was pushing back in his D50 late in the 4th to put his body on the line. That’s a team player and a guy with immense talent starting to put together more consistent games.
I agree with all of that and added high praise of my own for the things Rachele does well.

The player I can't just place today is fog. Lots of great things done today. But his man intercepted the ball quite a bit today.

Fog/walker/rankine/Rachele would be touted on this board as a great game.

But if keays/mchenry and even cook gave up as many intercept marks as fog/walker did. This board will be ripping into them.

I'll still say good game
But if he didn't lose as many contests as he did. We probably win by 2-3 goals

Our kicking into the forward line was poor, not often to our players advantage. Has only outmarked 1 I think

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Look. There's a few things in racheles game I hate which get ignored by the group think of this board. But he's better than what your saying.

You're describing cook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Butts basically useless as a footballer now? Feels like a steady decline since his first year.
Thought we should have used him on their deepest forward & allowed Keane to be further up the ground as more mobile.

Have you thought of getting better opinions? It’s a safer bet rather than assuming you’re the genius amongst a room full of dunces

You can't get what you're stuck with.

Goodness me the constant McHenry bashing gets tiresome when he was better than Tex, Smith, Hinge, Curtin, Nank, Cook. By no means was Ned spectacular today but wasn't the main reason we didnt win.

Soligo unreal again, Rankine a star and Fog starting to work back into some form. Losing Worrell is going to hurt considering his form, but hopefully Nicks an co. continue to back in Curtin.
The McHenry bashing gets boring - but he wasn't great. That role could have been done by Murphy or Schoenberg, and probably with fewer errors.

Tex had a shocker. Keane was probably worse.

I just watched the game again (family stuff was distracting live), and some of the group think stuff doesn't hold up.

Crouch was very good. Shill good. Smith actually was alright. Cook was good when he got near it and I have no idea how to get the ball in his hands more often. Fogarty excellent.

Berg was pretty good - and Rachele went in courageously a number of times. The thing at the end was bad communication and he clearly thought it was intended for someone behind him.

Curtin will be fine. Subbing off was premature, but at the moment it's just learning about what the pace and talent truly is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back