Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

That sounds like Nicks'-style player blaming

If the structure doesn't allow players to switch, that's on the coaches

If the players are meant to switch but haven't rehearsed it well enough to react quickly on game day, that's on the coaches

If we've rehearsed it plenty but a player like Butts is still incapable of following direction on game day, that's on the coaches because they keep picking him.

Rookies aren't the finished product. If we need Curtin to work on the defensive side of his game maybe Q4 last week when we were winning comfortably would have been a good opportunity?

Seriously - you think the actual people to blame are those sitting up in the stand??

The players play the game! The structure allows them to switch, and they do constantly. Hombsch's coaching of the defensive unit has been one of the best things of the entire season - but they will still sometimes stuff things up!

Is your position just to excuse the players every time an error is made - or just to excuse your favourites?

They're not children and they need to take responsibility out there. Stop with the confirmation bias of just blaming the people you WANT to be wrong.

Coaches' votes:

10 - Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
6 - Jack Payne (BL)
5 - Izak Rankine (ADEL)
4 - Hugh McCluggage (BL)
3 - Callum Ah Chee (BL)
2 - Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)
Who claimed Fog had a poor game?

O'Brien is ranked 26th among rucks for marks and 30th for contested marks (on average)

There are only three rucks to have played AFL this season that average fewer contested marks than ROB
Late in the game last Thursday night when Melbourne were fighting back against Carlton, Max Gawn took a strong contested mark close to the F50 arc, no angle, and potted the goal.
At the time, I thought (rather sadly):
--- ROB would not have taken that mark.
--- ROB would not have kicked that goal, nowhere near it.
Yes, he's fit and tall.
Yes, he attends a lot of ball-ups. That's it.

Apparently, both ROB and Nicks think that's enough :poov1::sadv1:.

Late in the game last Thursday night when Melbourne were fighting back against Carlton, Max Gawn took a strong contested mark close to the F50 arc, no angle, and potted the goal.
Yes, he's fit and tall.

And Rob can't kick over 30 metres due to his ridiculous technique.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, he's fit and tall.

To be fair you, could make an argument for Gawn being the most dominant player in the last five years.

Certainly the best captain.

A tragedy hasn't won a Brownlow.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That mark Ned took Infront of Berg towards the end of 2nd 1/4. 53:00 mark.I feel Berg had that. As guttsy as that was, he was a 50% chance of a spoil to a mark for Berg. From that angle most normal forwards would have slotted the kick.

Ned waltzing about at the 57:00 mark was just calamity football.

Youth. Lack of experience. Malcolm Blight said something along the lines last year that a young team will lose more close games than it wins. Then as it matures more, it starts to win those games they used to lose.
Ah, Blighty, what a player, what a Coach!! He's right, as well, as usual when it comes to footy.
We are getting closer.
Sorry, Jen, I cannot agree. 2-7 since the start of 2023 <== how is that closer?

Forget also that Brisbane were last year's Grand Finalist.
2024 Brisbane have been hit hard by injury and are not a shadow of their 2023 selves + they were also 3-5 going into the game.
The Crows are struggling and drew with another struggling side. I am not enthused, made even worse by Worrell's injury.

Collingwood were 17th in 2021, then Macrae (now there is a COACH!) took over.
Among other things, he trained them
--- how to fight back from behind and
--- how to win close games,
by drilling it into them and practising scenarios, you know, the things that good Coaches do.
17th to a Flag in two years.

In 4 years we went to 18th, 15th, 14th, 10th, currently 12th. That's not "closer" (to a Flag), either.

Any chance we could have switched the play once instead of going long and kicking it to a contest which we lost the majority of?

That’s obviously instruction and it’s so dumb against Brisbane and Andrews.

I thought Himmelberg did a great job in keeping Andrews without to much influence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That mark Ned took Infront of Berg towards the end of 2nd 1/4. 53:00 mark.I feel Berg had that. As guttsy as that was, he was a 50% chance of a spoil to a mark for Berg. From that angle most normal forwards would have slotted the kick.

Ned waltzing about at the 57:00 mark was just calamity football.

If you take a look at the video Berg calls him in - or at least blocks for him. And did a good job with the block as well

Ah, Blighty, what a player, what a Coach!! He's right, as well, as usual when it comes to footy.

Sorry, Jen, I cannot agree. 2-7 since the start of 2023
Forget also that Brisbane were last year's Grand Finalist.
2024 Brisbane have been hit hard by injury and are not a shadow of their 2023 selves + they were also 3-5 going into the game.
The Crows are struggling and drew with another struggling side. I am not enthused, made even worse by Worrell's injury.

Collingwood were 17th in 2021, then Macrae (now there is a COACH!) took over.
Among other things, he trained them
--- how to fight back from behind and
--- how to win close games,
by drilling it into them and practising scenarios, you know, the things that good Coaches do.
17th to a Flag in two years.

In 4 years we went to 18th, 15th, 14th, 10th, currently 12th. That's not "closer" (to a Flag), either.

The depth and quality of Collingwoods list that Macrae inherited is fair superior to ours - plus a massive free kick with Daicos instantly a top 10 player in the game. So not that relevant

Brisbane have about as many first choice players out as we do - Ashcroft, Coleman, McCarthy, Gardiner, Starcevich
We have TT, Pedlar, Milera, Murray

2-7 is disappointing, but the AFL has apologised for 3 of those

In terms of closer - we are getting more games into the guys we added in the last couple of years who are actually capable of being core pieces of a premiership squad. Unfortunately the misses through 2015-2019 have created a big hole we haven’t completely filled in yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg, bad? He had 10 touches, 2 goals, 7 score involvements and 2 goal assists, that is never a bad game under any measure. He was absolutely everywhere in the first half and then had some important plays during our 4th quarter comeback.

While Andrews took some great intercept marks, Berg did manage to bring the ball to ground a couple of times that he could have easily given up on and was able to beat Andrews at ground level on multiple occasions in deadly positions.
It wasn't good or ugly, maybe average? He had an impact but Harris Andrews had more of an impact. Those bombed entries to a pack must go to ground at the very least.

It wasn't good or ugly, maybe average? He had an impact but Harris Andrews had more of an impact. Those bombed entries to a pack must go to ground at the very least.
It was good, he was our 2nd most dangerous tall forward behind Fog. Looked like scoring anytime he went near the ball. That kick to Rankine I50 was sublime, so was the composure to hit Fog after a ground ball pickup in the 4th.

The depth and quality of Collingwoods list that Macrae inherited is fair superior to ours - plus a massive free kick with Daicos instantly a top 10 player in the game. So not that relevant

Brisbane have about as many first choice players out as we do - Ashcroft, Coleman, McCarthy, Gardiner, Starcevich
We have TT, Pedlar, Milera, Murray

In terms of closer - we are getting more games into the guys we added in the last couple of years who are actually capable of being core pieces of a premiership squad. Unfortunately the misses through 2015-2019 have created a big hole we haven’t completely filled in yet

Everyone seems to quote Collingwood 17th in 2021 and they seem to forget the :-

• 2018 played off in a GF
  • 2019 played off in a Preliminary Final (which they just lost to GWS by less than a kick)
  • 2020 played off in a semifinal (finished 6th)
  • 2021 finished 17th
  • 2022 played off in a Preliminary Final
  • 2023 won a GF

2021 was the year out of whack with all the others. Buckley had run his course (10 years) and was replaced.

So over 6 years - played in two Grand Finals, played in two Preliminary Finals.

The facts speak for themselves.

Strange, given Kelli Underwood is from Adelaide & has been a Crows fan her whole life.
surely not?

I know she's from Adelaide, but her commentary hosting the pre-match AFLw stuff has one believe she's a die hard Port nuffy.

Has anyone seen a replay of the tackle that injured Worrell? In only it at the ground, but it looked like there was a dumping action that drove him into the ground.Did I see it wrong? Has there been any discussion?
That was my first reaction as well.

About 1 of 3 dangerous tackles ignored on the night too.....

Nonsense

No one was saying that at the time

No one was saying it because they had a bad year and massive salary cap issues. But look at the depth of senior players they had - and Daicos addition. That alone is enough to transform the team

Not suggesting for a minute Macrae isn’t a good coach but the lists were miles apart

I actually thought the crowd played huge part in trying to get the team over the line... that last quarter was loud! It was like we were trying to give them all the courage to go for it.

I am actually wondering if say McCluggage heard that and thought hey maybe this would be a cool place to play every 2nd week.

I get no solace, or comfort, or anything at all from the AFL apologies.
All it means is that the Umps got it wrong and we have to wear it.
AFL apologies mean nothing and advance our cause zero.
In terms of closer - we are getting more games into the guys we added in the last couple of years who are actually capable of being core pieces of a premiership squad.
With respect, I cannot agree.

Yes, we have drafted in some quality, Dawson/Rankine/ Rachele/ Soligo/ Pedlar/ Michalanney/ Worrell/ Keane but we're far, far away from being Finalists let alone Flag contenders.
The weak end of our team is too weak and we have a Coach whom I just cannot see being a Premiership Coach, sad to say.
Unfortunately the misses through 2015-2019 have created a big hole we haven’t completely filled in yet
I'm not sure what you mean by "misses". Players leaving? (Dangerfield, Lever, McGovern, Cameron, Keath)
Or the 2017 GF miss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back