Review Good/bad/ugly vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Our starts this year have been terrible tbh. Pretty sure we’ve kicked the first goal once out of 9 games? Sounds dumb in isolation but we just don’t open games playing well at all. Edit - we did kick the first against Geelong so pretty sure it’s a 2-7 record

The good:

Maybe this might inspire Goody to have a look at Trac being a more permanent fixture in the forward line? He had an astonishing game down there, confident, creative, and breaks up the predictable crap down there which opposition coaches can plan against. 70/30 forward midfield mix. A Jarryd Roughead type role, though maybe with a few more centre bounces.

The bad:

Nothing. I’ve decided to forget.

I don't care what anyone says, we are on top of the moral victory ladder and deservedly so!
Idk, Adelaide booked some great moral victory wins earlier in the season

Our starts this year have been terrible tbh. Pretty sure we’ve kicked the first goal once out of 9 games? Sounds dumb in isolation but we just don’t open games playing well at all. Edit - we did kick the first against Geelong so pretty sure it’s a 2-7 record
I said earlier in the year our starts where awful, and someone i don't recall who told me not to worry over it and that we come home strong

Here’s my take on umpires - they’re incompetent AF. But if you are 36 points in the hole there’s no point crying when morons start moroning. You gave yourself no margin for error.

It’s why I had zero sympathy for Adelaide last year - they were putrid in that first half against Sydney but no it was a cruel conspiracy of umpiring incompetence that cost them finals.

Here’s my take on umpires - they’re incompetent AF. But if you are 36 points in the hole there’s no point crying when morons start moroning. You gave yourself no margin for error.

It’s why I had zero sympathy for Adelaide last year - they were putrid in that first half against Sydney but no it was a cruel conspiracy of umpiring incompetence that cost them finals.
Umps aren't any more incompetent than the players. Blokes can't even use the opposite sides of their body now.

Umps aren't any more incompetent than the players. Blokes can't even use the opposite sides of their body now.
Absolutely, look at the way our morons put the ball into orbit going inside 50. Or our forwards refusing to lead or knowing that our whole team are so headhecked that they’re all way more likely to score set shots from implausible angles or distances than stock standard 25-40m out directly in front. AFL umpiring is absolutely at our standard.

Y'all pickin' on Melbourne's forwards.
Sure, they kick worse than the Stony Creek seconds, have no idea about leading for the ball and are prone to giving the ball to their opponent. BUT, there is a midfield that has no idea about kicking a ball to space or they try to kick to leading space and fluff the kick.
AND then we have a midfield that seems quite happy to allow their opponents to score 2 goals to nil without considering a change to their clearance setup.
3,4 5 goals. Okay guys let's do something about this,
PANIC!

Y'all pickin' on Melbourne's forwards.
Sure, they kick worse than the Stony Creek seconds, have no idea about leading for the ball and are prone to giving the ball to their opponent. BUT, there is a midfield that has no idea about kicking a ball to space or they try to kick to leading space and fluff the kick.
AND then we have a midfield that seems quite happy to allow their opponents to score 2 goals to nil without considering a change to their clearance setup.
3,4 5 goals. Okay guys let's do something about this,
PANIC!
Both are dumb. I honestly don't understand the philosophy behind our forward structure. We'd rather kick it to a contest than risk an intercept in space I guess?

Its been going on for three years, cost us four finals and the only change I've noticed is Goodwin pumping up Stafford's tyres in his press conferences this year. Which makes me think they're aware of the criticism and don't like it.

What makes this worse is that Players are full time as well. A two sided player who can kick = $$$ in this day and age so I am surprised more don't have this skill.

Most (many?) umpires are part time. I can scream all I like about poor umpiring, which I don't, but they will never improve until they have full time umpires across the board. So each game is just a lottery when it comes to decisions and I leave it at that.

What makes this worse is that Players are full time as well. A two sided player who can kick = $$$ in this day and age so I am surprised more don't have this skill.

Most (many?) umpires are part time. I can scream all I like about poor umpiring, which I don't, but they will never improve until they have full time umpires across the board. So each game is just a lottery when it comes to decisions and I leave it at that.
Players spend like 4 hours at the club per week doing skills and that and then have days off and do uni degrees. Footballers play less football than ever it's embarrassing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chuck Brown and McDonald forward again and we're back cooking with gas baby
The biggest problem that has held is back from a dynasty is that we need to be playing our 18 Premiership players as the starting 18. We’ve been tinkering with too much youth.

B: Bowey - May - Petty
HB: Rivers - Lever - Salem
C: Langdon - Oliver - Sparrow
HF: ANB - T Mac - Spargo
F: Fritsch - BBB - Pickett
R: Gawn - Petracca - Viney

I: Billings, Laurie, KFW, AMW

Sub: Hunter

The bench is where it gets tougher because we’ve lost elite talent in Brayshaw, Harmes, Hibberd, Jackson and Jordon (sub). Yet, our list still stacks up - Billings is a versatile former pick 3 of similar vintage to Brayshaw. Bailey Laurie is versatile and knows where the goals are like Harmes. Moniz-Wakefield is exactly like Hibberd. Jackson’s defection hurts but I’m pretty sure that Kyah Farris-White wouldn’t be on the list if Goody didn’t think he was at least a Jim Stynes level talent and I think Lachie Hunter can step up to provide the class and versatility of Jordon as the sub.

Oliver forward is a great idea actually. Benny Brown in the guts. Let’s go campaigners!!
Actually longing for some first class crazy Goody action. If we must lose, go big and make it funny

Trac is getting tagged in the middle lately - even though he’s hard to tag.

I prefer him in the middle myself, but can understand if they play him forward a lot over the next month or 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back