Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

I thought they McHenry kept the shape really well. It may have been the most impressive shape keeping seen in a Showdown.

I also liked his goal, and the way he pointed as he booted it out of the stadium. As if to highlight how difficult it is to kick a joe the goose from the square.

Yep he sure did.

"We had a 250 gamer sitting on the bench, so the plan coming in was to sub a defender."

"We call our sub the impact player, we want them to impact the game. And I thought Brodie Smith came on and impacted and brought some experience."

I wish a journo would question some of the moronic s**t he comes out with.

The guy swishing the Footy through the basketball net at 3/4 time.

Wins a trip to LA.

Bet the club and Crypto.com thought that would never happen.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bloke at the Essendon game hit the front of the ring and just bounced out, half a ball away. They need to start picking more uncos.

I think Nicks paniced taking Curtin off. I thought he was serviceablee
Curtin was fine. Had some nice touches. He fumbled it once and Nicks went all Black Dynamite on him.

tumblr_mj93lkYZlG1rbfgffo1_500.gif

Couple observations from the game about Curtin as I sit very close on level 1 and specifically focused on him:

Has a good leg on him
Did seem shaky at times around some of the defensive contests, but had good second efforts to impact
He was extremely open when we were kicking out and was just ignored every time. I am big on bringing players into the game and some quick disposals would've been valuable.

MUST PERSIST, cannot be dropped to the SANFL. He was nowhere near our worst players and will be better for the run. Not easy to come in to a 52k crowd showdown for a debut.

Loved that he got a cheer everytime he had the ball, need to embrace him and make him feel at home.

Yep he sure did.

"We had a 250 gamer sitting on the bench, so the plan coming in was to sub a defender."

"We call our sub the impact player, we want them to impact the game. And I thought Brodie Smith came on and impacted and brought some experience."

Wow, that is a poor take even by Nicks standards.

He clearly struggles with identifying talent, massive concern for a coach.

We need him gone ASAP.

As for subbing Curtin, what a s**t move. Was so unnecessary, that is NOT the way to build a good footy club culture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I'm glad but to see Marshall and Georgiades just not come on so good must be frustrating for Port fans as Fog is for us
F**k them. They carried on for so long about how they were putting together a team that was set for a dynasty like no other and their list management staff could do no wrong, with every draft pick or recruit they bring in set to be genuine A graders. In reality, they've got a couple of decent mids, some absolute spuds, and guys who are genuinely cooked, all being led by the worst coach in the league.

F**k them. They carried on for so long about how they were putting together a team that was set for a dynasty like no other and their list management staff could do no wrong, with every draft pick or recruit they bring in set to be genuine A graders. In reality, they've got a couple of decent mids, some absolute spuds, and guys who are genuinely cooked, all being led by the worst coach in the league.

Nah its been exceptionally poor list management. They've traded for B graders every year selling them as the missing pieces only to continue to fail. Because they've traded out of the draft so often they've been relying on 3rd, 4th round draftees to fill gaps. It just can't happen. Best midfield but the depth and forward line is barron.

Good:

The best thing Ned did all day was know his expectations. Handball and sheppard to allow Tex to kick the goal was great stuff.

Bad:

Jones. Can't fault the effort, but 12 touches at 40% DE - Bleh.

Great:

As if Boaks miss from a set shot to win the game in the Dawson showdown wasn't enough - his third behind was almost as bad. With exactly 8 minutes to go - Port have had the last 4 scoring shots and are down by 15. Great handball from JHF released Boak who runs and has a shot from 50 under no pressure. That goes through and its a 9 point game with 8 minutes to go. Instead he misses and we go back the other way and Rachele kicks a goal to make it a 20 point game a minute later.

A surprise. The hold you have over them at the moment is remarkable, especially considering the amazing all star midfield you are up against 🫢

Led from start to finish. Unfortunately not quite the fluency in attack of the two games against them last year, but your defence overall was far better.

Soligo and Rankine are absolute guns.

Curtin did not look out of place at all. Give him an extended run at it and move on from a couple of the scrappers.
I reckon you might be a closet Crows supporter :)

Fast start

Thought Port dominated the second half of Q1 though. Their midfield on top, crumbed from every marking contest, spread well. Looked dangerous.

We clamped down after that. Tackling improved, contained the spread. Forced lots of stoppages.

Made for a grind of a game and meant we found it a lot harder to score ourselves from that point on however Port couldn't break the game open.

Their kicking at goal obviously poor (and funny) but our defence didn't give up many high percentage shots and 2 of their 5 goals were from horseshit frees

Yep he sure did.

Oh. Pre planned subs are back.

Wow, that is a poor take even by Nicks standards.

He clearly struggles with identifying talent, massive concern for a coach.

We need him gone ASAP.

As for subbing Curtin, what a s**t move. Was so unnecessary, that is NOT the way to build a good footy club culture
No, you're completely wrong .....as all are for the angst at subbing Curtin

Obviously Smith was selected Sub for a reason ......any player debuting in a high pressure game, is going to be losing his legs in the last qtr ....that last qtr was going to be frenetic, having a fresh HBF able to come into the game was perfect

Sorry if that messes with everyone's fairytale of Curtin being on the ground at the end .......I'm assuming you're happy with the win.....it's hard to tell sometimes on this board

Enjoy the win !

Yep he sure did.

Spot on here .....people need to listen

No, you're completely wrong .....as all are for the angst at subbing Curtin

Obviously Smith was selected Sub for a reason ......any player debuting in a high pressure game, is going to be losing his legs in the last qtr ....that last qtr was going to be frenetic, having a fresh HBF able to come into the game was perfect

Sorry if that messes with everyone's fairytale of Curtin being on the ground at the end .......I'm assuming you're happy with the win.....it's hard to tell sometimes on this board

Enjoy the win !
Nah it sucked for all involved.
Harley Reid enjoyed getting subbed off in his first game as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back