Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Rd 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowies decision making in traffic is elite to the point he makes a play out of nothing.
He had Tex absolutely screaming for a pass from him (backwards) late in the game but the pass just wasn't on and to the kids credit he didn't make the pass, he even looked back at Tex after he kicked it forward as if to say wtf ya big sheriff 😂

Definitely an issue with speed I think. There was one play where Markov got it through the middle, Keays and McHenry were chasing and he absolutely left them in the dust. Keays isn't our fastest guy, but he's not the slowest either and he didn't have a chance of getting near him. If I had to guess that was the play Markov got to a game high 32.4 KM/H, our best results were McAdam at 32 KM/H and Kelly at 31 KM/H, neither of whom are in the midfield.
Markov isn't a midfielder either though

I still don't rate him as a leader, not after public comments he's made and where our club presently is. But like Tex, he's moving extremely well and has returned to his best form and is a highly valuable performer when not playing crippled with injury. As you'd know, among my many bugbears has been the continuing selection of injured seniors playing poorly instead of trusting the kids and getting the seniors physically right so they can perform again like we're seeing now. Especially in the 3 meaningless seasons that we've just had. That said, they're not injured yet, so coaches are yet to be tested. Hopefully, they've worked it out.
Talia and mrouch are injured and are definitely not being rushed back. Being handled exactly as you want them to be in fact

The best thing Frampton did for our forward line last night was parking himself in our back line for most of the second half (at least it looked that way on TV).

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He wasn't beaten, he competed and played his role, plus no one in SANFL played well enough to displace him

Watching the game again and one thing have noticed is in each quarter the GC started each quarter of well but as the quarter wore on we got better.

Secondly, we will get found out defensively with multiple tall forwards like King and Burgess. That is why it will be crucial to get Talia back.
We noticed that during the game. Think GC were better with higher pace early but as they tired during the qtr we took over with better skill and toughness

2nd win where we continued to attack right towards the end of the game. Players were still looking to go inside until it was within 2 minutes. Loving that this mentality is sticking.

Rowe telling Tex twice to basically f*ck off when he wanted the backwards kick in the last minute was hilarious.

I still don't rate him as a leader, not after public comments he's made and where our club presently is. But like Tex, he's moving extremely well and has returned to his best form and is a highly valuable performer when not playing crippled with injury. As you'd know, among my many bugbears has been the continuing selection of injured seniors playing poorly instead of trusting the kids and getting the seniors physically right so they can perform again like we're seeing now. Especially in the 3 meaningless seasons that we've just had. That said, they're not injured yet, so coaches are yet to be tested. Hopefully, they've worked it out.
Imo, you have been way too harsh on him as a leader. He, along with Tex have had to hold this club together, whilst the off field has been a complete s**t show... whialt having personal tragedy & injuries.

Won't get any argument from me playing injured players as also find annoying.

He wasn't beaten, he competed and played his role, plus no one in SANFL played well enough to displace him
The first part of your post is a nice way of saying he had no impact.

Not having seen the game yesterday, but from all reports an argument could be made that Worrell could displace him.

Gotta pull the trigger with RT now IMO. When Tex is in this kind of rare form its the perfect opportunity for a kid to come in and have an easier time of it.

Had a dirty day down south yesterday but showed glimpses of why we drafted him
No more perfect time against the Roos rabble to at least give Thilthorpe a taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't beaten? According to the Official AFL Ratings Points, he was less effective than a player who didn't even go onto the field!

Granted, neither Berg nor TT put their hands up for promotion, but that doesn't alter the fact that Frampton was worse than useless yesterday (and the ratings points make that abundantly clear).

As for a replacement... maybe Worrall? The only thing Billy offers at present is the ability to provide ruck relief, to give ROB a break. There may be less benefit to having him relief ruck than there is to replacing him as a worse than useless player around the ground.

Framptons role sounds like a lot of my games when I played up forward, my role was to keep my defender away from our good forwards and try to not get in the way
Maybe but wouldn't it be better to have 2 genuine tall marking options up there? Bring on RT I say.

Worrell can ruck can he? Play as deep forward and nullify contests?
The question is whether ROB can ruck the whole game?

Frampton's complete and utter uselessness around the ground more than nullifies the limited benefit we get from his ruck relief role. He was so useless yesterday that the Official AFL Ratings Points system said he was worse than Murray, who was never activated as the sub. That's how bad he is/was.

There's a reasonable argument that we may be better off selecting Worrall, even if it means ROB has to ruck the whole game.

Good
Keys is looking like last year wasn't a fluke, serious talent there
Rowe in traffic is next level for us, sorry but he has Stengle covered multiple times over.

Bad
Falling into bad habits going forward.
Witts injury, hate seeing players go down like that.

Ugly
Umpires, inconsistent and just plain odd at some occasions.

On another note
GC forward line is going to be unreal. If they keep their players they are going to be seriously good.

Worrell can ruck can he? Play as deep forward and nullify contests?
Can Frampton ruck effectively?

Notice in the forward line Tex, not Frampton, did a lot of the rucking.

Yes, he probably can play deep forward. Frankly, if you are playing deep forward you are the to win a contest, not nullify it. I have trouble remembering Frampton winning a contest in the last 2 matches.

Can Frampton ruck effectively?

Notice in the forward line Tex, not Frampton, did a lot of the rucking.

Yes, he probably can play deep forward. Frankly, if you are playing deep forward you are the to win a contest, not nullify it. I have trouble remembering Frampton winning a contest in the last 2 matches.
Well at one stage he went in the middle and did more than what ROB had managed to do all game to that point.

I don't think Nicks would want to celebrate a player's first win when they didn't actually play

Similar to how he doesn't want to wear the home jumper for pre-season games
If I were the player, I don't think I'd want to celebrate it, either. You only get one debut win gatorade shower - to have it after a game where you didn't even get out on the field would give a pretty hollow feeling to what should be one of the best memories of your life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back