Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R7 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Being outscored in the last 1/4 against a poor team cannot be a good sign. Should have been a 100-point win.
To be fair, that was mostly down to accuracy. They kicked 5.2 (7 scoring shots), to Adelaide's 4.6 (10 scoring shots). If Adelaide had kicked only marginally straighter, we would have won all 4 quarters.

Don't get me wrong, it was easily Norf's best quarter, and we shouldn't have given them as much junk time release as we did... but Adelaide were still the better team in the final quarter.

Himmelberg provided a target. Should keep his spot.

Dawson was great and back into form.
Annihilating this team by 100 points with a 5 day break + travel was pointless and they aren't West Coast 2023 awful.
Worrell and Keane are getting so much better. The intercept marking was a highlight.
Sholl good, now do it against a good side.
Pedlar being put out of our misery for a while.

Advertiser on Thursday morning: "Curtin Call" "Crows draw the Curtin" "Curtins for Adelaide"

Good - solid win despite relatively weak opposition.
- whole team effort - bare minimum for the rest of the season.

Bad - poor kicking, particularly in the last quarter.
- Tex being TOO unselfish; I don’t want to ever see Tex at 50m out passing to another bloke (Nankervis) at 49m out ever again!

Well a good strong win but lets face it, North are that bad there's minimal you can take from the match. Still a few little bits and pieces we should be pleased with.

The Good:
That we aren't North Melbourne, wow they're in a world of hurt & despite signing Clarko there seems minimal light. Just wonder if there's a few Malthouse vibes here from Carlton? Clarkos end at Hawks was pretty meh. Could just be they don't have enough senior guys to help carry whilst we had Tex, Laird, Seedsman etc in good form in our earlier years. Without those guys in good form we'd have probably looked more North like at times.af

As far as players?

Cook - Was great he hit the score board but the thing that impressed me most was its the first time I've seen him bust his ass to apply defensive pressure, 2nd, 3rd efforts at times. Hopefully that performance is a bit of a light bulb moment for him, easily his best match. Need to see it against real opponents.

Worrell - Arguably his best performance for mine. Defended well, left his man to help & impacted contests, intercept marks. Has been pretty good all year but last 2-3 weeks seems to be taking better steps forward imo.

Dawson - Back in form, great to see, makes a lot of difference. BOG easily yesterday.

Rankine - Dangerous up forward & any of them difficult shots he seems to convert, it's his other set shots that are a bit iffy.

Michaelanney
- Continues to be a rock solid player week in, week out.

Keays - Set up some of Rankines brilliance through sheer will, got a couple goals, some outstanding pressure at times that kept them pinned in our 50m arc.

Keane - Had one howler kick that cost us a goal but was very good otherwise, held Larkey pretty well & took some good
marks.

Laird - Really good performance yesterday, need to see it against real opposition more regularly though even if not to the level from 2-3 years ago.

Hinge - Rough start to the year for Hinge but has gotten back to looking closer to last years version.

Rachele - Not an amazing match, pretty good though & looked alright on the ball late. Frustrating we only give him a proper look when up by 50 points against a side like North.

Soligo - Pretty solid, not his best but decent enough.

Himmelberg - Probably annoy some for this one but I actually thought he played pretty well aside from a couple classic Himmelberg type moments. Just thought he worked to the right spots far better than our other alternatives for the same spot. Not sure I trust he'll do it against better sides but he has come up clutch for us at times including a showdown in recent memory so I guess he deserves another week.

Those are probably the guys I felt were the best, some others guys were ok without being amazing.

The Bad:

Jones
- Playing a side like North he should be tuning up far more at this point in his career, barely sighted at times. Wasn't bad defensively but the offensive side of his game, creating play, getting involved? Not where it needs to be. Was decent the week prior but right back to almost non entity. Listing him as bad maybe is a bit harsh but it's more or less a reflection that we need more from someone like him consistently by this point.

McHenry - 3 quarters, didn't offer enough yet again. I've always tried to ignore the hate club & give credit where its due but week after week he's been completely ineffectual, should not be holding a spot with this output. If you could see him laying heaps of tackles or something maybe but "pressure acts" alone doesn't cut it.

The UGLY:

Pedlar Injury
- Sucks to see him get injured, was hoping yesterday could act as a bit of a confidence booster and get him back more to last years version.

As stated at the start we were playing North so there's not lots you can take away, it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things beyond a bit of percentage and that despite our poor year we aren't that level of bad. Best we can hope for is some of our players take a little confidence and move on.

Just a thought, it looked like a lot of players from both teams really struggled with the position of the sun. Hobart is so far south and the game finished in the late afternoon, the players shadows were very long on the ground. Seemed like an error of scheduling. It really didnt help with a lot of skill errors on the day particularly with a few nasty turnovers. Thought a few players were dudded a bit by that (was Keane's turnover one where he kicked it into the sun and couldnt see the north player?)

Nicks agrees:

"It would be (our best game). I think we got back to what we stand for today. We know what it is we value and we sat together post game and said the game looked more like us for four quarters.

We got back to that pressure, getting at the opposition, our contest and that was really pleasing to watch. It was more of our DNA and the way we play our footy."

Get excited people!
Nicks is a dumb arse mother *er

With an opposition as weak as Norf, there are very few positives to be taken away from the game. They are such a sub-standard team that our players were allowed to do more or less whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

The only real things we can take away are the few players who failed to make an impact, even given the lack of opposition.
  • McHenry played 3/4 of the game, for just 10 disposals, and zero impact (other than kicking a goal long after the game was over).
  • Hamill had just 7 disposals - he did nothing wrong, it's just that he did nothing at all.
  • Jones only had 11 disposals, again with very little impact.
  • Fogarty had 13 disposals, mostly up the ground - the problem is that he's just not impacting the scoreboard, and struggles to get anywhere near the ball when he's playing inside the F50. At least he put his only shot on goal through the big sticks this week.

I’m not totally sure someone couldn’t screen scrape this from the stats alone, without watching the game

Nah, you wouldn’t do that 🤣🤣🤣

Nicks agrees:

"It would be (our best game). I think we got back to what we stand for today. We know what it is we value and we sat together post game and said the game looked more like us for four quarters.

We got back to that pressure, getting at the opposition, our contest and that was really pleasing to watch. It was more of our DNA and the way we play our footy."

Get excited people!

They know we’re coming!

Now pass the tissues, what a mess

I guess we disagree.

No, you don’t even get that

That’s like claiming agree to disagree on whether water is wet

Peter Vardy, was a squat, powerful, low centre of gravity, tough and explosive player who’d run through and break tackles

Cook resembles Peter Street more than he does Peter Vardy

No, you don’t even get that

That’s like claiming agree to disagree on whether water is wet

Peter Vardy, was a squat, powerful, low centre of gravity, tough and explosive player who’d run through and break tackles

Cook resembles Peter Street more than he does Peter Vardy
I said “I” , yes I, see him like a Peter Vardy. That’s my opinion.

You say No, you don’t even get that. Who cares what you think? What authority do you have over my opinion?

I said “I” , yes I, see him like a Peter Vardy. That’s my opinion.

You say No, you don’t even get that. Who cares what you think? What authority do you have over my opinion?
Make a stupid comparison and someone is bound to call you out on it.

Are you new here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bad:

Jones
- Playing a side like North he should be tuning up far more at this point in his career, barely sighted at times. Wasn't bad defensively but the offensive side of his game, creating play, getting involved? Not where it needs to be. Was decent the week prior but right back to almost non entity. Listing him as bad maybe is a bit harsh but it's more or less a reflection that we need more from someone like him consistently by this point.

In the top 8 highest Defensive Half Pressure Acts for Crows v Kangas game, only one Crow featured, coming in at 6th Highest DHPA's for the game with 11 is Chayce Jones

Last edited:
In the top 8 highest Defensive Half Pressure Acts for Crows v Kangas game, only one Crow featured, coming in at 6th Highest DHPA's for the game with 11
Did you actually read what I said? I said his defensive game wasn't bad eg it was good, his offensive game was pretty non existent. If he's playing on the wing we need offensive drive out of him.

Last edited:
Our recent formline is tough to get a read on. The narrow loss to Essendon possibly looks better given their recent performances whilst a win against North aint worth much given they also lost by a similar margin to the Hawks who were then dismantled by the Swans who'd been only just travelling before that.

Coach votes:

10 Rory Laird (ADEL)
8 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
3 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
3 Josh Worrell (ADEL)
3 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
3 Reilly O'Brien (ADEL)

Coach votes:

10 Rory Laird (ADEL)
8 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
3 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
3 Josh Worrell (ADEL)
3 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
3 Reilly O'Brien (ADEL)
We're not seeing Laird dislodged from the midfield for at least a month, are we?

And what the heck is O'Brien getting votes for? Getting more than three marks for a change?

We're not seeing Laird dislodged from the midfield for at least a month, are we?

And what the * is O'Brien getting votes for? Getting more than three marks for a change?
Look, ROB won the battle against Xerri (who’s been good this year), so I kinda understand it?

I’d swap Dawson and Laird around, at the least

Remove this Banner Ad

Back