Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
As many of you are aware, the idea of Good Friday football was floated last year by Williamstown for a proposed game against Geelong (VFL) at Torquay.

In the end, that game ended up being played on Easter Sunday.

Well, the VFL have released the 2012 fixture and...

Bendigo v Port Melbourne - Good Friday 6th April 2012 at the QEO :thumbsu:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=17786803

So now we have State, Country and Suburban leagues playing Good Friday football... will 2013 be the year the AFL makes the step?

As many of you are aware, the idea of Good Friday football was floated last year by Williamstown for a proposed game against Geelong (VFL) at Torquay. quote]

As you may not be aware, CrowdedHouse, there is a place just outside Melbourne, extending as far as the eye can see, called Australia.

Subiaco hosted East Perth in the WAFL on 22 April 2011 (Good Friday). So, State football has already embraced Good Friday football. I reckon the AFL would have assessed the public response.

As many of you are aware, the idea of Good Friday football was floated last year by Williamstown for a proposed game against Geelong (VFL) at Torquay.

As you may not be aware, CrowdedHouse, there is a place just outside Melbourne, extending as far as the eye can see, called Australia.

Subiaco hosted East Perth in the WAFL on 22 April 2011 (Good Friday). So, State football has already embraced Good Friday football. I reckon the AFL would have assessed the public response.

I see this as the bigger step as it's happening in Victoria (and let's be honest, AFL HQ is Victorian centric).

It will be interesting to see what size crowd shows up.

Also, for Richmond fans - you're on the road... Coburg Tigers are playingin two country towns during the season. Against Bendigo in Shepparton and against Geelong in Warrnambool. :eek:

In the end, that game ended up being played on Easter Sunday.

Well, the VFL have released the 2012 fixture and...

Bendigo v Port Melbourne - Good Friday 6th April 2012 at the QEO :thumbsu:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=17786803

So now we have State, Country and Suburban leagues playing Good Friday football... will 2013 be the year the AFL makes the step?

Hmm......Six Bendigo League clubs are playing that day, at Gisborne, Golden Square and at the QEO under lights that night (as I understand it).

Not to worry - it will get transferred to Windy Hill anyway, but it just reiterates what an absolute farce this alignment was.

I think Good Friday should be played by a victorian team against an interstate team.

I think Geelong deserve it from my point of view. It should be Geelong vs Fremantle/West Coast. Probably leaning towards Fremantle.

Either that, or I will go with Carlton vs Brisbane/Sydney if they want to increase crowd numbers, but knowing Sheedy, GWS will be involved. Unless Rugby already plays on good friday.

Carlton vs GWS or GWS vs GC?

I think Good Friday should be played by a victorian team against an interstate team.

I think Geelong deserve it from my point of view. It should be Geelong vs Fremantle/West Coast. Probably leaning towards Fremantle.

Either that, or I will go with Carlton vs Brisbane/Sydney if they want to increase crowd numbers, but knowing Sheedy, GWS will be involved. Unless Rugby already plays on good friday.Carlton vs GWS or GWS vs GC?

NRL has two games on the Good Friday evening. Broncos travelled to play the Roosters for a few years in a row from memory.

Not religious, so it doesn't bother me from that aspect, but games will be played Thurs, Sat, Sun & Mon so it's not as if we are starved of football over Easter.

I'd imagine if it were ever to come to fruition the idea would be a twilight/night game so as not to interfere with religious services, but then the problem is Channel 7 Melbourne's Good Friday telethon.

Be interesting to know if the new TV deal has a clause prohibiting the scheduling of a game on Good Friday, and anyway Vlad has made clear his opposition to Good Friday football..

Having one day off from football over Easter to spend with family/friends/pr0n doesn't strike me as a great hardship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd imagine if it were ever to come to fruition the idea would be a twilight/night game so as not to interfere with religious services, but then the problem is Channel 7 Melbourne's Good Friday telethon.

Be interesting to know if the new TV deal has a clause prohibiting the scheduling of a game on Good Friday, and anyway Vlad has made clear his opposition to Good Friday football..

Moreso than to appease the religious zealots (oops) and the RCH, I believe the stance from the AFL is to appease the VCFL and give country clubs the opportunity to benefit from one day that they don't have to compete with the umbrella body.

Melbourne is not starved of footy, it can live for one day without it - in comparison Kyneton had 2800 show up for it's Good Friday match last year - in comparative figures it's like 1.2 million showing up for a match at the MCG...

Night interstate matches could work, but stuff North Melbourne imo, worked on this for ages with Hawthorn and then slunk over to Carlton - who tried to buy their footy club.....nah - it should be renamed country footy day imo.

Who the hell said a Good Friday game has to be in Melbourne?

A lot of people want it, why not make a NM/Bulldogs yearly event?

Or GWS/GC

or Bris/Syd

makes a lot of sense to me, would be great crowds and ratings. Makes NO sense why there is no game, does the average joe australian even know what good friday means? apart from the fact its a day off

Make it between West Coast and Brisbane/Crows, to signify the death of the VFL.

Based on the crowd turnout this year during Easter, Good Friday deserves to be Cats v Hawks. I'm pretty sure that nurturing a rivalry between the two clubs regardless of long term form would be a major revenue raiser for all concerned.

There are no good reasons to oppose AFL matches on Good Friday.

The holiday itself is originally meant for a day of reflection. I know the majority of people in today's society and beliefs don't give a toss. However Good Friday wasn't meant to be exploited for a money grabbing football spectacle.

As far as I see it either:

Scrap the good friday holiday and play football.
OR
Keep the for holiday what it's meant for and give footy a miss for a day.

However I will say, if the money made by a good friday game does go directly to the RCH appeal, then this is a decent comprimise.

A lot of people want it, why not make a NM/Bulldogs yearly event?

Or GWS/GC

or Bris/Syd

makes a lot of sense to me, would be great crowds and ratings. Makes NO sense why there is no game, does the average joe australian even know what good friday means? apart from the fact its a day off

Bulldogs vs NM wouldn't draw a crowd big enough to justify it, nor would GC vs GWS, and Brisbane seem to be establishing their own "traditional" Easter Thursday game at the Gabba. Plus, I'm not sure the bulldogs have put that much work into lobbying for this match like other clubs have. North have been pushing this game for years, along with Carlton, that should be the match-up that the AFL go with (clubs should be rewarded for showing some initiative instead of the AFL letting other clubs hijack these ideas). Give it 5 or so years to establish itself, if it's not working, someone else gets a turn.

Sadly though, it won't happen as long as 7 in broadcaster I think. :thumbsdown:

Based on the crowd turnout this year during Easter, Good Friday deserves to be Cats v Hawks. I'm pretty sure that nurturing a rivalry between the two clubs regardless of long term form would be a major revenue raiser for all concerned.

Those 2 clubs are creating their own thing with Easter Monday and it's working, you guys should stick with that. ;):thumbsu:

in being a family friendly game, and generally attempting to be inoffensive as possible, it doesn't seem likely it will ever play on good friday.

i always wonder what the AFLPA thinks of this. do they support games on this day?

This I think is how it should be. If footy has to be played on Good Friday, then make it a celebration of State League football, to give that a day to stand alone and shine.[

Hopefully the VFL will in 2013 have a game on GF in Melbourne between two of the top sides.

I think the AFL will be watching how the VFL game goes and if it proves a success then I expect they will start playing as well on GF.
The TV ratings would also be massive.

BTW I dont see how ONE AFL game in Melbourne will effect the RCH appeal as most of the focus on TV is now of a night.

GF has to be the most boring day on the callendar so why should a minority of the population( actual church going christians) dictate to the rest of us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back