Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

GOOD Friday football is set to get the go-ahead, but the AFL says it will not finalise a fixture until the 2017 draw is released.

Following an AFL Commission meeting in Brisbane on Friday morning, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan spoke on the long talked about subject.

Just a week after saying it was a "50-50" shot on Melbourne radio, McLachlan hinted it was almost across the line.

"There's no impediment at Commission level, and a level of enthusiasm to do it," he said.

The AFL boss said a number of clubs had expressed interest in playing the game – with Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne among those already reported – but would not elaborate further.

"The Commission has given us the ability to schedule on Good Friday. There's momentum," McLachlan said.

"A final decision will be made through the fixture process."

Would you be happy to scrap the public holiday?

Then go to bloody work.

This is such an antiquated, baby-boomeresque "grr people don't think like me and I won't stand for it" argument.

It's up there with the "Christmas is a purely religious holiday" thing. Might have been once, but it ain't anymore. I don't spend the Queen's birthday holiday thinking about the Queen either but I am sure as s**t having the day off. I mean seriously... are you really advocating for a policy where the government confers certain rights upon specific people base upon their religious beliefs. Seriously, is that what you really want?

If you want to spend the day worshipping fairy tales and/or historical figures, I have no issue with it, but I don't think the rest of us should have to sit around in awed silence while you carry out your quaint customs.

If Christianity disappeared over night, we'd find other names and causes for these public holidays.

We live in a secular society, in case you weren't aware. If you can find any piece of legislation in the various public holiday acts that requires you to believe in Jesus, the monarchy, organised labour, or the ANZAC spirit in order to be eligible for the day off, let me know, until then.... shut up. :)

Last edited:

GOOD Friday football is set to get the go-ahead, but the AFL says it will not finalise a fixture until the 2017 draw is released.

Following an AFL Commission meeting in Brisbane on Friday morning, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan spoke on the long talked about subject.

Just a week after saying it was a "50-50" shot on Melbourne radio, McLachlan hinted it was almost across the line.

"There's no impediment at Commission level, and a level of enthusiasm to do it," he said.

The AFL boss said a number of clubs had expressed interest in playing the game – with Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne among those already reported – but would not elaborate further.

"The Commission has given us the ability to schedule on Good Friday. There's momentum," McLachlan said.

"A final decision will be made through the fixture process."

Blues are only team that will sell out the event out of the teams mentioned
My preference is Bulldogs and Carlton

Blues are only team that will sell out the event out of the teams mentioned
My preference is Bulldogs and Carlton

I hope it is North and Carlton.
North been the longest lobbyist for it with Carlton not far behind them.
Like Dogs and Demons deserved the go ahead for female team licences due to supporting womens football the most the same type of reasoning should see North and Carlton a lock for Good Friday football next season.The question for me now, should they play it at MCG or Etihad ?

This is such an antiquated, baby-boomeresque "grr people don't think like me and I won't stand for it" argument.

It's up there with the "Christmas is a purely religious holiday" thing. Might have been once, but it ain't anymore. I don't spend the Queen's birthday holiday thinking about the Queen either but I am sure as s**t having the day off. I mean seriously... are you really advocating for a policy where the government infers certain rights upon specific people base upon their religious beliefs. Seriously, is that what you really want?

If you want to spend the day worshipping fairy tales and/or historical figures, I have no issue with it, but I don't think the rest of us should have to sit around in awed silence while you carry out your quaint customs.

If Christianity disappeared over night, we'd find other names and causes for these public holidays.

We live in a secular society, in case you weren't aware. If you can find any piece of legislation in the various public holiday acts that requires you to believe in Jesus, the monarchy, organised labour, or the ANZAC spirit in order to be eligible for the day off, let me know, until then.... shut up. :)

In Tasmania, the south gets a day off for what I am pretty sure is the Hobart Show day.

In return, the north of Tasmania gets 'Recreational Day'.

My point being, if ever there is a chance to get a day off, we will do it.

Liked your post.

Certainly hope if it's a Victorian game we get it.

But hope behind the scenes there's a non-Vic game being lobbied, and Adelaide v West Coast in rnd 23 on Friday night might be a nice rehearsal to see how it goes.

No one bitches about ANZAC day, Queens birthday, etc. So shut your mouth and enjoy the day off, gee atheists love to bitch dont they.

I hope it is North and Carlton.
North been the longest lobbyist for it with Carlton not far behind them.
Like Dogs and Demons deserved the go ahead for female team licences due to supporting womens football the most the same type of reasoning should see North and Carlton a lock for Good Friday football next season.The question for me now, should they play it at MCG or Etihad ?

Don't really care to much about Women's football, like Women's W-League and World Cups. It's good that we have them but no one has or really ever will show a big interest in the games

North may have lobbied for it but they are on the decline. Would like to see 2 exciting clubs play in it, will grow the event

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really care to much about Women's football, like Women's W-League and World Cups. It's good that we have them but no one has or really ever will show a big interest in the games

North may have lobbied for it but they are on the decline. Would like to see 2 exciting clubs play in it, will grow the event
North deserve it. Don't think them having an old side now should discount their lobbying for several decades for Good Friday football.
Deserved to be rewarded. They were pioneers of Friday night football too.
Dumont, Taylor Garner, Ryan Clarke, Kayne Turner, Jed Anderson, Mason Wood, Majak Daw, Mitch Hibberd, Ben McKay and Luke McDonald is not a bad youthful lot that can keep North from going on as big a decline as you seem to assume.

North deserve it. Don't think them having an old side now should discount their lobbying for several decades for Good Friday football.
Deserved to be rewarded. They were pioneers of Friday night football too.
Dumont, Taylor Garner, Ryan Clarke, Kayne Turner, Jed Anderson, Mason Wood, Majak Daw, Mitch Hibberd, Ben McKay and Luke McDonald is not a bad youthful lot that can keep North from going on as big a decline as you seem to assume.

Blues and Dogs have better younger kids coming through. I think over 10 year period has a better chance of succeeding with Blues and Dogs rather that North Melbourne in the picture

Blues have more fans, when up and about do get a crowd. That's why North want to play Blues, to get our supporters to go because they won't sell out anything

So it wasn't Carlton giving away free tickets/extremely reduced price tickets to games because they were worried about extremely low attendance recently?

Right now Carlton aren't the big club you seem to think they are.

No one bitches about ANZAC day, Queens birthday, etc. So shut your mouth and enjoy the day off, gee atheists love to bitch dont they.

I'm not the one putting conditions on whether people are eligible for public holidays or not.

Try to get within 50 miles of the point next time.

But yeah, I will continue to bitch while people keep demonstrating their inability to keep their personal spiritual beliefs out of our legal, taxation, education, medical systems etc.

So it wasn't Carlton giving away free tickets/extremely reduced price tickets to games because they were worried about extremely low attendance recently?

Right now Carlton aren't the big club you seem to think they are.

James Brayshaw has made it clear he wants Blues and not Bulldogs many times

Because he knows when NMFC and Bulldogs both struggling at 16th and 15th both teams combined won't get over 25000 at the ground, least with Blues and NMFC it's always 38000 plus

James Brayshaw has made it clear he wants Blues and not Bulldogs many times

Because he knows when NMFC and Bulldogs both struggling at 16th and 15th both teams combined won't get over 25000 at the ground, least with Blues and NMFC it's always 38000 plus

As shown last season when Carlton struggle the supporters don't show up either, you aren't any different to any other club in terms of fans not turning up when the team is going shithouse.

Also what Brayshaw wants means very little because North aren't even guaranteed the game.

As shown last season when Carlton struggle the supporters don't show up either, you aren't any different to any other club in terms of fans not turning up when the team is going shithouse.

Also what Brayshaw wants means very little because North aren't even guaranteed the game.

I think Kangaroos will get it because Brayshaw will have a big sook if they don't. If Blues don't get it wont be upset but would want Dogs

I'm not the one putting conditions on whether people are eligible for public holidays or not.

Try to get within 50 miles of the point next time.

But yeah, I will continue to bitch while people keep demonstrating their inability to keep their personal spiritual beliefs out of our legal, taxation, education, medical systems etc.

No one's placing conditions on anything. It's about removing conditions. And sneering "non-believers" putting down those who are religious.

As it happens, I'm not religious. But I can't cop this crap from people who think they are so much smarter than others because they don't believe in a spiritual being. At the end of the day, you wouldn't have a clue. No one does. If people want to be religious they should be allowed to be, within reason. If history and culture means there are holidays that recognise that, then good. If the recognition must change, then that's fine too.

But if you can't be respectful in the process then, I repeat, go to bloody work. It's pathetic. The whinging and moaning because there's a holiday and you can't watch footy on the TV. Read a book. Go see your mum. Kick the footy with your kid. Listen to music. Or, if you really can't think of something to do on a paid day off.......go to bloody work.

Honestly, atheists leave the religious (the Christian ones at least) for dead in terms of intolerance.

This possibly pisses me off the most. What the * is that supposed to mean anyway? Our society isn't secular. Our Government is. Our society is many many things. Sure, some of our society is non religious but go stand out the front of a mosque on Friday, a synagogue on Saturday, or a Church on Sunday and preach your "secular society" to them. Or don't they count in your "society".

No one's placing conditions on anything. It's about removing conditions. And sneering "non-believers" putting down those who are religious.

As it happens, I'm not religious. But I can't cop this crap from people who think they are so much smarter than others because they don't believe in a spiritual being.

I didn't say anything about intelligence. I am talking about not imposing the restrictions and expectations of faith on others. Follow the post back and see what I was responding to before grandstanding.

Honestly, atheists leave the religious (the Christian ones at least) for dead in terms of intolerance.

Wow, you talk of intelligence and then you post something as breathtakingly ignorant as that. This offends me far more as a history teacher than it does as an atheist.

Religion has existed on such a lofty pedestal for so long that it has achieved a status quo protection it doesn't deserve and any attempt to push it back to where it belongs (i.e. keep it in church and out of the secular world) is taken as a form of oppression.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back