Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they still say "tickets on yourselves" over in the sandbelt ?

If so you guys have got " rocks in your head" if you think that level will be enough to win the big one.

Youll have to go up a level again to lift the prize

Wow reading a some of the posts on here, a lot of you Hawks supporters really have tickets on yourself/your team. Ever heard of a bit of humility or keeping your expectations in check?

"Freo haven´t learned to win at the G and will get smashed" - umm, Freo vs Geelong last year?? Something you had not done since 08.

"We smashed Freo this year, we will smash them again" - umm, we were missing most of our guns, our form then was a shadow of what it is now.

"We smashed Syd by more than Freo smashed Syd" - umm, did you watch the first half and see that we put the rack away at half time?

Would Hawthorn have been able to beat Geelong in Geelong in a final? You barely choked your way across the line at the G on Friday with all your supporters there.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Its evenly matched. As the first half of the swans game tonight showed, 19 years of no success and the guys are absolutely desperate for it. Expect the Freo players to ramp up the pressure even more come GF day.

You come onto our board talking about showing respect.

Yet you post s**t like this "You barely choked your way across the line at the G on Friday with all your supporters there".

Are you serious? Respect is something you earn, not something that you demand. And by coming here and posting that sort of s**t, is not right away to earn respect.

Now kindly disappear back to your own board.

If we miss a few easy ones early on I'll start to get nervous. Kick straight and we win, it's as simple as that - we're a better team than Fremantle.

Spot on!

I remember thinking how important that first shot on goal from Buddy was in last year's big one - he missed the rest is history

Same in the last quarter when he missed again to put us 17pts? up

Another write off at week, sigh.

Better not require a reply or I might get the sack :eek:

What ever happens on Saturday to make 3 GF's and lose a PF by under a kick is one hell of an achievement in a 6 year stretch!

Believe it or not but through all the heartbreak of 2011 and 2012 we've now got a pretty seasoned group of players, much more so than Fremantle where there is a huge element of the unknown

"- Something to worry Hawks fans: Not since 2003 has a team with a defence ranked outside the top four won the flag. Hawthorn is the No.5 ranked defence this year.
- Something to worry Fremantle fans: Not since 2005 has a team with an attack ranked outside the top eight won the flag. The Dockers are the No.10 attack this year."

Hawks had the hardest FIXture that the AFL could possibly engineer.

The teams we played twice, ladder position
Geelong (2nd)
Sydney (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
North Melbourne (10th)
West Coast (13th)

Teams Freo played twice:
Richmond (5th)
Adelaide (11th)
West Coast (13th)
St Kilda (16th)
Melbourne (17th)

If you don't think that this skews statistics like the one's that you quoted, you're delusional. Consider this opposition and we still kicked 500 more points than Freo in the H&A season. We conceded 300 more points than Freo sure but note that in the two games against Melbourne alone, they conceded only 38 and 40 points.

Until the finals they had not beaten a single team in the top 4. They managed a good win against Geelong in the Qualifying final but were helped by Geelong's inaccuracy (both teams had 27 scoring shots). They then got Swans at their weakest I have seen them for at least 4 years. Still for all their 'dominance' they could only manage 42 inside 50's.

So don't get me wrong. Freo can win this Grand Final, but it will be our doing not theirs. If we take our opportunities and kick our set shots at even just 60% then we will win. However having said that they are definitely a chance if you look at our accuracy against Geelong in the prelim and the Prelim and GF last year, accuracy in finals hasn't been our strong suit.

But all year I have seen a resolve about this group, an extreme level of determination, underlined by the 20 point fight back on Friday night. We will not lay down. We will fight and fight and not leave a thing out on the field. We will back our skills but we also know how to put our heads over the ball and make the other team earn it. If they think they can pressure us, they will learn a lot about pressure this Saturday. We will strangle them like they have never been strangled before.

What is it with Journos these days trying to write 'the story' before it happens.
"wouldn't it be a great story if freo got up"
"won't be a great story if Ross Lyon wins a flag"
"won't it be a great story to see Michael Barlow with a premiership medal"
"wouldn't it be a great story to see Pav achieve the ultimate team success"

'The story', whatever way it plays out, will happen in 6 days, and will include a character or two nobody is expecting. That's how it rolls. Don't s**t me by pre-empting it.

The story so far is that Freo have done tremendously well to reach a grand final, to defeat Geelong in Geelong and to beat Sydney. Get as excited as you want but ffs arseholes don't throw out random story arcs that haven't happened yet. Enough incredible stuff has already happened to fill two newspapers for a week.

OR how about doing some detailed statistical or analytics predictive work? Or is Robbo's only trick to try and drum up some emotional as he's glassy eyes start to tear up when talking with RANDOM yelling, talking about WHAT A GREAT! guy and solid PERFORMER! Mathew Pavlich has been for years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"- Something to worry Hawks fans: Not since 2003 has a team with a defence ranked outside the top four won the flag. Hawthorn is the No.5 ranked defence this year.
- Something to worry Fremantle fans: Not since 2005 has a team with an attack ranked outside the top eight won the flag. The Dockers are the No.10 attack this year."

Haha, thanks for that. Stalemate it is!

Spot on!

I remember thinking how important that first shot on goal from Buddy was in last year's big one - he missed the rest is history

Same in the last quarter when he missed again to put us 17pts? up
Man I'd blocked out the memory and your jsut tore a scar open again.
I need the magic healing elixir of a GF victory!

Geelong (2nd)
Sydney (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
North Melbourne (10th)
West Coast (13th)

Teams Freo played twice:
Richmond (5th)
Adelaide (11th)
West Coast (13th)
St Kilda (16th)
Melbourne (17th)

If you don't think that this skews statistics like the one's that you quoted, you're delusional. Consider this opposition and we still kicked 500 more points than Freo in the H&A season. We conceded 300 more points than Freo sure but note that in the two games against Melbourne alone, they conceded only 38 and 40 points.

Until the finals they had not beaten a single team in the top 4. They managed a good win against Geelong in the Qualifying final but were helped by Geelong's inaccuracy (both teams had 27 scoring shots). They then got Swans at their weakest I have seen them for at least 4 years. Still for all their 'dominance' they could only manage 42 inside 50's.

So don't get me wrong. Freo can win this Grand Final, but it will be our doing not theirs. If we take our opportunities and kick our set shots at even just 60% then we will win. However having said that they are definitely a chance if you look at our accuracy against Geelong in the prelim and the Prelim and GF last year, accuracy in finals hasn't been our strong suit.

But all year I have seen a resolve about this group, an extreme level of determination, underlined by the 20 point fight back on Friday night. We will not lay down. We will fight and fight and not leave a thing out on the field. We will back our skills but we also know how to put our heads over the ball and make the other team earn it. If they think they can pressure us, they will learn a lot about pressure this Saturday. We will strangle them like they have never been strangled before.

I think you can also add that the statistics are skewed by the Hawks getting into a number of shootouts throughout the season. And this is the reason that the Hawks enter September with a much healthier list.

I think you can also add that the statistics are skewed by the Hawks getting into a number of shootouts throughout the season. And this is the reason that the Hawks enter September with a much healthier list.

Yep and it was also like we made a much more conscious effort to conserve energy against the lesser lights Melbourne/GWS/GC. Just comfortable 20-40 point victories.

Last couple of years we really went all out the crush them (Port by 160 in 2011/12?) which ultimately amounted to nothing.

Geelong (2nd)
Sydney (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
North Melbourne (10th)
West Coast (13th)

Teams Freo played twice:
Richmond (5th)
Adelaide (11th)
West Coast (13th)
St Kilda (16th)
Melbourne (17th)

Yep, pretty much this. Freo have done well but appealing to statistics which are a product of an uneven draw is foolish. Hawks game to lose. Just got to maintain the focus and take our opportunities.

OR how about doing some detailed statistical or analytics predictive work? Or is Robbo's only trick to try and drum up some emotional as he's glassy eyes start to tear up when talking with RANDOM yelling, talking about WHAT A GREAT! guy and solid PERFORMER! Mathew Pavlich has been for years?

This. I would dearly love to see some journalism that is detailed and analytical as you say. I would love some of the experts to discuss the issues in depth regarding gameplan, match ups and the strengths and weaknesses of either side.

I want some insight into what the coaches on either side are thinking about, not another story about a possible story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back