Grand Final - missed at first glance

Remove this Banner Ad

OK. So it wasn't a small moment. It was actually epic. But, having had time to think about it, it's been quite overlooked, commented on but brushed over. It may have even had it's own articles.

But, when our captain, our spiritual leader, our smiling maestro and his perfect hair, took that mark in the middle of the G late in the game and scooted away towards goal with ONE thing on his mind....four decades of hurt just seemed to melt away as he took a bounce, then another bounce, adjusted his step (as anyone who ever ran at goal in any game ever has done), balanced himself and sent a long, low drop punt deep forward.

It was always going to clear the pack, it was always going to land in the square and bounce, tumble, bounce and go through...was there ever any doubt ?

But....it was Trent's reaction. Pure, unadulterated joy. A leap and a punch...was all it took for Everest to melt into his sure hands...the loudest roar for Me was then.

When our captain provides the coup de grace. The finit. The end. The mad music stops. The world's stops spinning. We win. We actually win. Again.

Winning one was something. Ask the Dogs how good it is to win from nowhere, from no when...

Winning again, in such a fashion was something else entirely.

Something else.

A large but small thing...that will be replayed over and over and over in my mind forever...

My bliss. Thank you Trent Cotchin.

Thank you Richmond. For showing me that it's good to smile and jump in the air again.

(I think if I ever met Trent I'd ask him "what was it like to have the ball in your hands and run towards goal, kick and feel the weight of the world lift from your shoulders" ? It must have been just amazing. The stuff of boyhood dreams).

For us mere mortals....it was...

The end of the misery.

The beginning of something new. A new way. A happy way. A fun way. A winning way.

There it was in a nutshell. Our captain jumping for joy. Bringing us all along with him. Into the future. Burying the past, where it belongs...in a grave...new flowers blooming now...representing happy times...

Only a small thing...but such a big thing...

Last edited:

OK. So it wasn't a small moment. It was actually epic. But, having had time to think about it, it's been quite overlooked, commented on but brushed over. It may have even had it's own articles.

But, when our captain, our spiritual leader, our smiling maestro and his perfect hair, took that mark in the middle of the G late in the game and scooted away towards goal with ONE thing on his mind....four decades of hurt just seemed to melt away as he took a bounce, then another bounce, adjusted his step (as anyone who ever ran at goal in any game ever has done), balanced himself and sent a long, low drop punt deep forward.

It was always going to clear the pack, it was always going to land in the square and bounce, tumble, bounce and go through...was there ever any doubt ?

But....it was Trent's reaction. Pure, unadulterated joy. A leap and a punch...was all it took for Everest to melt into his sure hands...the loudest roar for Me was then.

When our captain provides the coup de grace. The finit. The end.

Winning one was something. Ask the Dogs.

Something else.

A large but small thing...that will be replayed over and over and over in my mind forever...

Thank you Richmond. For showing me that it's good to smile and jump in the air again.

The end of the misery.

The beginning of something new. A new way. A happy way. A fun way. A winning way.

There it was in a nutshell. Our captain jumping for joy. Bringing us all along with him. Into the future. Burying the past, where it belongs...in a grave...new flowers blooming now...representing happy times...

Sheddas vision too to get it to him.......glorious

When our captain provides the coup de grace. The finit. The end. The mad music stops. The world's stops spinning. We win. We actually win. Again.

Winning one was something. Ask the Dogs how good it is to win from nowhere, from no when...

Something else.

(I think if I ever met Trent I'd ask him "what was it like to have the ball in your hands and run towards goal, kick and feel the weight of the world lift from your shoulders" ? It must have been just amazing. The stuff of boyhood dreams).

For us mere mortals....it was...

The end of the misery.

This is one of the best things I have ever read, and sums my feelings up perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shedda nailing Hopper with a sweet hip and shoulder in general play. Was a beauty.

fair play to Hopper though. got up when others might not have and trundled on to the next contest
Yep I like it when players get straight up , tough stuff that and conversely when they lay down like a norf or cats player like they’ve been shot to milk a free or 50 it sickens me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back