Dagger5

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
This group contains the hosts South Africa, Mexico, Uraguay and France. All information except maybe matchday news can be posted in here.

Match times are in Australian Eastern Standard Time.

South Africa vs Mexico 12 June 00:00 (EST)
Soccer City, Johannesburg

Uruguay vs France 12 June 04:30 (EST)
Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town

South Africa vs Uruguay 17 June 04:30 (EST)
Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria

France vs Mexico 18 June 04:30 (EST)
Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane

South Africa vs France 23 June 00:00 (EST)
Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

Mexico vs Uruguay 23 June 00:00 (EST)
Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg

The winner of this group faces the runner up of Group B and the runner up of this group faces the winner of Group B. Argentina and Korea are the likely opponents I would think.

South Africa preliminary squad:

Keepers: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates), Shu-Aib Walters (Maritzburg United), Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld);

Defenders: Matthew Booth (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siboniso Gaxa (Mamelodi Sundowns), Innocent Mdledle (Mamelodi Sundowns), Bongani Khumalo (SuperSport United), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa), Aaron Mokoena (Portsmouth), Bryce Moon (PAOK), Anele Ngcongca (Racing Genk), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows), Lucas Thwala (Orlando Pirates);

Midfielders: Surprise Moriri (Mamelodi Sundowns), Franklin Cale (Mamelodi Sundowns), Lance Davids (Ajax Cape Town), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Fulham), Andile Jali (Orlando Pirates), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Reneilwe Letsholonyane (Kaizer Chiefs), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs), Thanduyise Khuboni (Golden Arrows), Steven Pienaar (Everton), MacBeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan);

Forwards: Benni McCarthy (West Ham), Katlego Mphela (Mamelodi Sundowns), Siyabonga Nomvethe (Moroka Swallows), Bernard Parker (FC Twente)

Uruguay squad

Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Lazio/Italy), Juan-Guillermo Castillo (Deportivo Cali/Colombia), Martin Silva (Defensor Sporting)

Defenders: Diego Lugano (Fenerbahce/Turkey), Diego Godin (Villarreal/Spain), Andres Scotti (Colo Colo/Chile), Jorge Fucile (Porto/Portugal), Martin Caceres (Juventus/Italy), Mauricio Victorino (Universidad de Chile/Chile), Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica/Portugal)

Midfielders: Walter Gargano (Napoli/Italy), Egidio Arevalo-Rios (Penarol), Sebastian Eguren (AIK Stockholm/Sweden), Diego Perez (Monaco/France), Alvaro Pereira (Porto/Portugal), Alvaro Fernandez (Universidad de Chile/Chile), Jorge Rodriguez (River Plate/Argentina), Alvaro Gonzalez (Nacional), Ignacio Gonzalez (Valencia/Spain), Nicolas Lodeiro (Ajax/Netherlands)

Forwards: Sebastian Fernandez (Banfield/Argentina), Luis Suarez (Ajax/Netherlands), Diego Forlan (Atletico Madrid/Spain), Sebastian Abreu (Botafogo/Brazil), Edinson Cavani (Palermo/Italy), Jorge Martinez (Catania/Italy)

Lass Diarra will miss the World Cup due to an intestinal problem. Big loss for France and it will hasten their expected early exit probably in the 2nd round.

Benni McCarthy hasn't made the squad.

Final 23 man squad for Sarf Efrica:

Goalkeepers: Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs), Moeneeb Josephs (Orlando Pirates), Shuaib Walters (Maritzburg United)

Defenders: Siboniso Gaxa (Sundowns), Anele Ngcongca (KRC Genk, BEL), Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers, ENG), Matthew Booth (Sundowns), Bongani Khumalo (SuperSport United), Siyabonga Sangweni (Golden Arrows), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa, ISR), Lucas Thwala (Orlando Pirates)

Midfielders: Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Lance Davids (Ajax Cape Town), Reneilwe Letsholonyane (Kaizer Chiefs), MacBeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan, RUS), Thanduyise Khuboni (Golden Arrows), Kagiso Dikgacoi (Fulham, ENG), Steven Pienaar (Everton, ENG), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs)

Forwards: Surprise Moriri (Sundowns), Bernard Parker (FC Twente, NED), Katlego Mphela (Sundowns), Siyabonga Nomvethe (Moroka Swallows).

This is a tougher group than a lot of people give credit for.

France

A number of big name and big game players in the squad. However they are very much a Jeckyll and Hyde team. For me, their weakness is defence. They have enough experience in the squad though to get through the group stage. 1st

Mexico

Whereas France have the big name players, Mexico have a few young guns who could shine on the world stage (Vela, Hernandez and Dos Santos). They played well in their warm up game against England, and were unlucky to lose. Whereas France have the experience, I think the inexperience of Mexico will see them miss out on qualification this time. 3rd

South Africa

With Parreira in charge, they have a manager with a lot of World Cup experience (this will be his 6th tournament as a manager), however a look at their squad and you can't really see much in terms of quality. Host nations always qualify from their respective groups, but this time I think it will be different. 4th

Uruguay

Like France, they have an abundance of talent up front. The experience of Forlan alongside one of Europe's hot properties in Suarez. For me the key game of this group will be Uruguay's match against Mexico - the winner of which I think will qualify with France. The South Americans better experience will see them through I think. 2nd

Not sure if their weakness is in defence.

They rarely concede. Have a look at their qualifying record, their record at recent major tournaments and the likes.

France have one obvious, consistent problem that has made them s**t for a while - they don't create, and they rarely seem to score 2 in a game. Regardless of their opposition.

They may have a couple of defensive issues but it doesn't reflect in their results.

I think France will struggle by their standards and Mexico will go through in 1st place. France should still make it through despite their struggles though. They just don't score for whatever reason despite the quality the possess going forward.

I just can't see where South Africa can pick up any points, their side is rubbish. Home advantage or not, they're up against 3 pretty good sides.

Rumours coming out that McCarthy was excluded from the squad for entertaining special lady friends at the team's hotel room...Pretty funny if true.

Well it starts tonight boys...predictions for tonights games????

I think Mexico will get over South Africa despite the home crowd advantage to win 2-1.

Also giving Uruguay a chance to upset France on opening night, would not surprise me to see them get up 1-0 with their firepower up front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA 0-3 Mexico
France 1-1 Uruguay

Well SA and Mexico drew 1-1 with Tshabalala scoring for SA and then Marquez equalising for Mexico near the end.

Mexico were the more dominant team however and they should of won the match.

Is it just me or was I tempted to boo the Uruguayan national anthem? I mean it's been 5 years and I should be over it by now (booing our anthem in Montevideo in 2005's WC Qualifying Playoff) and I'm tipping them to win BUT.....

Domenech is getting more and more senile it seems, Govou starting instead of Malouda! I really do hope Uruguay pump them.

Yeah that offside rule baffled me too. I had no idea about that rule and im football mad and have been for many a year. Looked a completely legitimate goal but there must be 2 players behind the goalkeeper or something? No idea.

Terrific goal from the Sth African player though. Mexico were all over them for most of it, they will be disappointed with a draw. Good start for SA and it opens up the group a little now.

Yeah that offside rule baffled me too. I had no idea about that rule and im football mad and have been for many a year. Looked a completely legitimate goal but there must be 2 players behind the goalkeeper or something? No idea.

Yeah rules state there must be 2 players between you and the goals. One of those players can obviously be a goalkeeper, as is the case in 99.9% of cases. But the rule basically doesn't discriminate between outfield players and the keeper.

I learned this rule recently from my old man. According to him all soccer fans know that :eek:

What I saw last night was two mug coaches make mug decision after mug decision costing them any chance of there team winning the game

Mexico - Seriously WTF was that supposed to be Aguire? Javier Hernandez on the bench? Is he for real or what? Guardado on the bench? You cant be serious? Mug selections made even worse by some mug tactics. Why the **** would you start Guilmerro Franco and not play any long balls. It defeats the purpose of him existing never mind starting. Why the **** would you play 2 attacking fullbacks without proper cover? Why would you allow South Africa to play such a counter attacking style if your gonna play a 4-5-1. What the hell position was Marquez supposed to be playing. I dont even think he knew by the end. Literally got every decision wrong and cost his team the game.

France - Is Dom the worst coach in footballing history? I cant think of anyone worse. Govou ahead of Malouda is just flat out embarassing. Its akin to Geelong dropping Gary Ablett to revive Garry Hockings career. Words fail me really. Forgot how is he coaching, how hasnt some French football lunatic assasinnated him already. They cant and wont win a thing with this lunatic in charge

All in all i went to sleep wondering which country Phil Brown will end up coaching because if last nights anything to go by he would be one of the best coaches in international football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back