Autopsy GWS Giants vs West Coast Eagles, Round 8, Spotless Stadium, Saturday 12th May 2018, 1.45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I think we were outskilled by a very well drilled side that made better decisions, and executed them with more precision than us. Hope Phil's ok, he looked badly concussed coming off to me too. MDB as well, but his injury has a lower upside in terms of long term damage I think.

I don't even think we are - we're still playing Cameron, Keeffe and Himmelberg - that's the same three tall setup.
On exposed evidence though only one of them can actually play, HH looked like Bambi in the headlights, Keefe contributed in the ruck only and not overly well.

Was at the game today should have won with what the Eagles had out you don't get that sort of opportunity in the AFL and Josh Kennedy only kick one it was Darling that was the difference pissed off because I copped a $110 parking ticket and that made my day :mad:

Unfortunately. Very sparse crowd.

It was a disappointing crowd considering ladder positions and our last home attendance against the eagles (nearly 16k).

Neither the actual weather nor forecast were all that bad, though they must have had some impact.

The poor showing against Geelong and the number of outs no doubt also didn't help.

Still, a poor/depressing turnout.

Was at the game today should have won with what the Eagles had out you don't get that sort of opportunity in the AFL and Josh Kennedy only kick one it was Darling that was the difference pissed off because I copped a $110 parking ticket and that made my day :mad:
While Im on the sack Leon crowd dont bring up the Eagles outs but forget ours.

All our run was gone and our AA small fed is missing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It was a disappointing crowd considering ladder positions and our last home attendance against the eagles (nearly 16k).

Neither the actual weather nor forecast were all that bad, though they must have had some impact.

The poor showing against Geelong and the number of outs no doubt also didn't help.

Still, a poor/depressing turnout.
I got the impression there were more Eagles fans there.
We were chanting throughout but I noted in the fourth when the East side of Spotless started their “eagles” chant, it was pretty loud.

I thought we were still in the game at the half.
With our outs, then losing MDB, Whitfield’s off to get stitched for most of the third, AND Davis, we didn’t really get a chance.
Stats suggest Corr held Kennedy well.
They are tall.
We were also lucky they didn’t kick straight.
Disappointed by ump decisions with their frees up the ground and ours seem to be majority down back. I thought to even the decisions up, but there were more in their favour anyway.

I got the impression there were more Eagles fans there.
We were chanting throughout but I noted in the fourth when the East side of Spotless started their “eagles” chant, it was pretty loud.
Timeslot matters. I love the early games, but they never draw well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to manage my expectations of the Giants.
Four years ago, getting flogged, I would picture the Cumberland stand overflowing with eager supporters following the G's to the top.
That ain't going to happen.

Four years ago, getting flogged, I would picture the Cumberland stand overflowing with eager supporters following the G's to the top.
It will. Just not in the next few years.

It will. Just not in the next few years.

I'm actually not sure it will GG.

They have made consecutive Prelims and have over 20k members but getting under 10k at games. No reason why more members can't attend.

The club will not be in their premiership window forever and when they are not I can't see the crowds "growing".

The support has certainly increases but the crowds have not

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm actually not sure it will GG.

They have made consecutive Prelims and have over 20k members but getting under 10k at games. No reason why more members can't attend.

The club will not be in their premiership window forever and when they are not I can't see the crowds "growing".

The support has certainly increases but the crowds have not

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was always generational Simmo.

Those kids who love the club will grow up and have kids of their own.

Last edited:

I don't think it will happen in the near future either.

The Melbourne clubs have had a century or more to build their crowds. There's already been three crowds under 20k this season, and another three under 25k (with a seventh derby between Melbourne clubs barely above 25k).

They have made consecutive Prelims and have over 20k members but getting under 10k at games.

We haven't had a home game under 10k this season. While Brisbane was barely above the 10k mark, there were very few travelling Brisbane fans either. All those I talked to on the day were the same as I - GWS members or supporters as well.

I don't think it will happen in the near future either.

The Melbourne clubs have had a century or more to build their crowds. There's already been three crowds under 20k this season, and another three under 25k (with a seventh derby between Melbourne clubs barely above 25k).

We haven't had a home game under 10k this season. While Brisbane was barely above the 10k mark, there were very few travelling Brisbane fans either. All those I talked to on the day were the same as I - GWS members or supporters as well.
Saturday was a touch under I think. The crowd next week in Hobart will probably be smaller though. Barely 8k laat year .

I will try and be positive and say some promising signs in the game for some players but not enough people wanting the ball/contest enough
Ward lead from the front, Whitfield running, Taranto is amazing for a second year player, Cumming did well for a first gamer, Lobb will be better for the run and Cameron looked dangerous at times

I will try and be positive and say some promising signs in the game for some players but not enough people wanting the ball/contest enough
Ward lead from the front, Whitfield running, Taranto is amazing for a second year player, Cumming did well for a first gamer, Lobb will be better for the run and Cameron looked dangerous at times

Positivity welcomed. But that last quarter, with the wind, and they weren't out of it, was goal-less. A totally anonymous 30 mins!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back