Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s all about Pick 2.

We want a shot at grabbing one of Wardlaw or Tsatas.
But you don’t trade out 2 potential A graders (pick 6 and DGB) to get 1. Phillipou, Hewitt and Humphrey have just as much talent as those 2 and a greater ceiling in my view. A pick upgrade should not involve one of your blue chip investments.

But you don’t trade out 2 potential A graders (pick 6 and DGB) to get 1. Phillipou, Hewitt and Humphrey have just as much talent as those 2 and a greater ceiling in my view. A pick upgrade should not involve one of your blue chip investments.
It’s all about what it takes to get Pick 2 and the club has to look at that.

If we all reckon our KPD stocks are going okay, let’s send DGB to Carlton for Stocker and Setterfield.

I don’t like the first bit (DGB out) but I’d strongly recommend what would be coming our way. Those two guys are standing 6th/7th in line in a gun AFL midfield - waiting to get a good look at it. Just the sort of age/experience we need.

I get that, they are fantastic prospects. But Denver doesn't want to go. I really hate the idea of pushing out a young commited player out the door that wants to stay. DGB could be the next Jeremy McGovern, just needs time to develop.
Love Denver, hope he doesn’t get traded, but ultimately the club has to make tough calls to improve the list, and particularly our midfield.

If they decide to go all out for Pick 2, I’m on board.

If we all reckon our KPD stocks are going okay, let’s send DGB to Carlton for Stocker and Setterfield.

I don’t like the first bit (DGB out) but I’d strongly recommend what would be coming our way. Those two guys are standing 6th/7th in line in a gun AFL midfield - waiting to get a good look at it. Just the sort of age/experience we need.
Pass.

Pick 2 for Pick 6, Brockman and our 2022 or 2023 2nd rounder is more than fair. They get Hewitt anyway plus a couple of handy bonuses.
Do you think West Coast are not going to demand DGB?

Agreed. Pick 6 and DGB is massive overs.

Top 7 picks is where the cream sits.

Excluding player swaps what is pick 2 worth.

6 plus 23 falls short IMO.

Depends where each team wants to get their 1st player. If WCE want a player who may go between 6 and 8 then if they use pick 2 they wasted their pick, so swapping 2 for 6 + something makes sense.

If WCE feel he may go for 4 or 5 then they use pick 2 and play it safe.

Similarly if the player we want is going 2 or 3, and 6 will get us someone we really dont think is at the same level then we do our best to upgrade.

I dont think Hawks or Eagles want to waste their 1st round pick given where we are on the ladder and where we want to go next year.

Pick 2 for Pick 6, Brockman and our 2022 or 2023 2nd rounder is more than fair. They get Hewitt anyway plus a couple of handy bonuses.

Hewett wont go top 10 based on his output this year. Is sliding by the minute as other kids have improved.

Brockman cost a 2nd, shown some glimpses and then injured. His value has not increased. If he moved now a 3rd would do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone last week mentioned the go home factor with DGB which in-turn sparked a bunch of trade ideas for pick 2. Then a bunch of our posters confirmed that he was happy and settled and committed to stay longterm. At the end of the day it's the list management + welfare people's job to know if players are unsettled so you just have to leave it with their judgement as that's what they're paid to do. Unfortunately with any player from another state you will always have trade rumours an innuendo about them going back to their home state which we have witnessed ourselves with Breust and others.

I don't recall ITK posters saying that about DGB?

I actually recall LindaCRS saying they had heard a rumour about DGB and pick 2 and I think it was TheFourPillars saying they had heard similar rumours around Box Hill with DGB.

Please correct if I'm wrong LindaCRS and TheFourPillars.

Last edited:
Wot

Love Denver, hope he doesn’t get traded, but ultimately the club has to make tough calls to improve the list, and particularly our midfield.

It comes down to three questions:

1. Does the club think that at least 2 of Tsatas / Wardlaw / Sheezel are very significantly better than the player we will get at 6 and have high chances of being absolute superstars?

2. Does the club think, on what they have seen in two years, DGB is a potential A grade key defender, or do they think he will only be a third tall type, and aren't convinced on his star potential?

3. Does the club see DGB as a flight risk? If so, this may be the best opportunity to get a really good pick from a West Australian club at the bottom of the ladder (cf. what Melbourne will now go through with Freo, who have inadequate picks for Jackson)

Those are the three questions that will inform whether the club entertains it if West Coast come asking (which would make sense for them given local boy Hewett is likely to be there at 6 and a perfect Shuey replacement).

My own opinion: if the answer to question 1 is yes, work out a package to get pick 2. We need a superstar who is damaging in the midfield. Cannot win flags without that.

Last edited:

Going all out for pick 2 could easily backfire. What if we traded in Wardlaw and he has chronic hamstring issues?
In regards to our midfield we added Newcombe, Ward and Macdonald last year. We will add Amon as a free agent, pick 6 (Phillipou, Clark, Hewitt, Mackenzie and Humphrey would all compliment our midfield nicely) and hopefully trade in Bruhn this year.

Going all out for pick 2 could easily backfire. What if we traded in Wardlaw and he has chronic hamstring issues?
In regards to our midfield we added Newcombe, Ward and Macdonald last year. We will add Amon as a free agent, pick 6 (Phillipou, Clark, Hewitt, Mackenzie and Humphrey would all compliment our midfield nicely) and hopefully trade in Bruhn this year.
Elijah Tsatas or Harry Sheezel look safer bets for #2 and each would be a contrast to our other developing mids. I would be worried about Wardlaw.

Apparently TOM’s management has had numerous discussions with StKilda
I don't buy this for a second, no club would look at their midfield and think "hmm, contested - one note and pedestrian - let's recruit Tom Mitchell".

Edmund on SEN had a txt come through from someone who is adamant that Tom’s mgt has met with Saints more than once at a coffee shop close to this persons work 😀. Also talked about Bruest and Gunners. Sounds like they have been sounded out by clubs as opposed to their management getting on the front foot to look elsewhere ……. silly season is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back