Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of going after Grundy and paying him 600-700k a year for the next 4-5 years, we are much better off keeping any cap space and then target someone like Jade Gresham next year who’s a free agent.
Really?

I’d rather throw that energy and coin at someone who can partner with Lewis.

I wonder if we have revisited this with the emergence of Newcombe and Blanck.

You could argue those guys are everything and more you would want in a top 30 pick.

That would make 5 already with at least another 2 top 30 picks this year.
You need top 30 picks AND luck with finding guns in other ways.

Still need a heap of talent across the whole park

The risk component of all this is quantifying paying the amount of cash required. Especially towards the end of the contract where you’d hope we are paying the likes of Ward, DGB, Day etc. good coin because their form warrants it.

Regardless of Grundy, us getting another first rounder in would be massive in the quest for 3 picks under 25 again. This my opinion is just as important if not more than acquiring Grundy

Paying $1.1m for pick 15-19 would be bold - I like it.

I’m in the Brinker-Ritchie camp.

We need someone who can come in as a backup and play 5 games or so. I think the low cost option of Brinker-Ritchie (on the rookie list) would allow us to put the extra $$$ into a salary dump scenario (Cogs / Whitfield etc)

Leave a spot open for the mid season draft in case Lynch is having similar issues to this year

We need someone who can come in as a backup and play 5 games or so. I think the low cost option of Brinker-Ritchie (on the rookie list) would allow us to put the extra $$$ into a salary dump scenario (Cogs / Whitfield etc)

Leave a spot open for the mid season draft in case Lynch is having similar issues to this year
Whitfield doesn’t help us at all.

Mids or forwards.

Whitfield doesn’t help us at all.

Mids or forwards.

I still hold out hope that we can let Mitchell go for a pick in the 25-35 range and bring in Cogs as a salary dump (to help replace the loss of experience re Shiels / Mitchell etc) and head to the draft with at least equivalent of picks 5 or 6 / 25 and another in 25-35 range at the very least.

Cogs has been quite impressive this year and would add a different dynamic in there to what Tom does. Think he would go up a level as well playing with his best mate

I still hold out hope that we can let Mitchell go for a pick in the 25-35 range and bring in Cogs as a salary dump (to help replace the loss of experience re Shiels / Mitchell etc) and head to the draft with at least equivalent of picks 5 or 6 / 25 and another in 25-35 range at the very least.

Cogs has been quite impressive this year and would add a different dynamic in there to what Tom does. Think he would go up a level as well playing with his best mate

I think it will be Amon as the dynamic mid we add from another club. He'll get some CBA's every now and then.

The pick/s we get for Mitchell we would trade that with our Pick 24 for Brisbane's first pick 14*

Last edited:

There’s probably 50 better state league ruckman to choose from if we were going to go that way.

Paying $1.1m for pick 15-19 would be bold - I like it.
Problem is that it'd be a 5yr deal, so that's $5m* for Pick 15-19.

*I'm sure we'd try to negotiate it down, but you get the point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pick/s we get for Mitchell we would trade that with our Pick 24 for Brisbane's first pick 14*

Isn’t the likelihood that Brisbane will trade with Gold Coast to get the points they need?

Brisbane only have to look at what the Suns have to ignore our request for their first rounder.

Brisbane only have to look at what the Suns have to ignore our request for their first rounder.
You would think so yes, I've said for ages the Suns will trade 26+31+35+44+43 for Brisbanes first and their McStay compensation.

But it depends on what we can get for Mitchell 23+24 is only 218 points(pick 55) off 26+31+35

There’s probably 50 better state league ruckman to choose from if we were going to go that way.

B-R rapid improvement in a very short space this season suggests he may be able to go up another level too. I suggest a lot of the state league ruckman are at their ceiling.

I asked whether we will break even if we trade T.Mitchell.

Folks want to discuss about the awards from 5 years ago, that's cool.

But that's not going to help us come trade week.

People need to drop the emotions and get real.

Let's try again..

We gave up pick 14, without having to assist with salary, what is a realistic return?
As players get older trade value drops. Unreasonable to look for “preserved pick value “

Brisbane guns for Hawks’ Jack
Brisbane is keen on Hawthorn veteran Jack Gunston as Daniel McStay’s replacement in the forward line.
The veteran Hawk has attracted strong interest late in the season after kicking two bags of five goals to help boost his contract price.
As a free agent, Gunston could walk to the club of his choice and Brisbane is on the lookout for another marking target to fill the McStay void.
But Gunston, 30, also has a strong sense of loyalty to Hawthorn and could stay on a two-year deal.
Talks were put to the side as he mourned the passing of his father, Ray, recently.
as per TD's link above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back