Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not a popular person on here to give his opinion but he is 100% right.

I like Dangerfield and yes, he is right. But we will be well into a rebuild by the time Tassie joins in 3 or 4 years.

This is nothing more than a wind-up.

Perhaps he needs to look inwards. In 4 years Geelong will be without himself, Cameron, Guthrie, Stewart, Bews, Rohan, Hawkins, Blicavs, Stanley, Duncan, Smith, Tuohy, Ceglar and Menegola.

Bruhn is still just as unproven as Stephens. They have the Henry boys, SDK, pick 7, Holmes and Bruhn as their potential top end young talent and aside from pick 7, they have basically traded out of the next two drafts. Their best player in the 24-28 bracket is Tom Atkins

I'm bookmarking this post.

Last edited:

I like Dangerfield and yes, he is right. But we will be well into a rebuild by the time Tassie joins in 3 or 4 years.

Perhaps he needs to look inwards. In 4 years Geelong will be without himself, Cameron, Guthrie, Stewart, Bews, Rohan, Hawkins, Blicavs, Stanley, Duncan, Smith, Tuohy, Ceglar and Menegola.

Bruhn is still just as unproven as Stephens. They have the Henry boys, SDK, pick 7, Holmes and Bruhn as their potential top end young talent and aside from pick 7, they have basically traded out of the next two drafts.

Bruhn in, Stephens out is really interesting.

Were we into Stephens a long way out?
Or do Geelong just think he's not gonna make it and upgraded to Bruhn?

Bruhn in, Stephens out is really interesting.

Were we into Stephens a long way out?
Or do Geelong just think he's not gonna make it and upgraded to Bruhn?

No idea but it feels like it came up last minute. They wanted to keep him but he spoke up after they grabbed two more players that would be cometing with him for his spot. And he is a hawks fan.

I think they got Bruhn before they knew they were going to lose him, and they lost pick 18 for the swap.

It wont come up because everyone is ra ra Geelong and thats fine, but I think they dropped the ball with Cooper.

After reading about him more, Im more bullish on him than I am Bruhn.

Bruhn is still just as unproven as Stephens. They have the Henry boys, SDK, pick 7, Holmes and Bruhn as their potential top end young talent and aside from pick 7, they have basically traded out of the next two drafts. Their best player in the 24-28 bracket is Tom Atkins

Don’t think he was winding us up. Think he was saying we are doing the right thing bottoming out now rather than when tassie come in.

Giants offered a first for O'Meara.

We tried to leverage our cap space (asset) into pick 7. We missed.

So there's those examples.
Let’s not underestimate critical factors out of our control here.

Tigers and Cats both benefitted from the “premiership window” lure. We simply can’t compete with that right now. Clearly many players prioritise this over money, and first team opportunity. We’ve benefitted from this before and will again. Right now we’re a harder sell.

When players like JOM decide to go home to one team only, our leverage is gutted.

The Cats again have benefitted enormously from location, family and lifestyle factors. They have a monopoly over players going west. When a player returns to Melbourne, we’re in a dogfight with all Melbourne clubs.

Redressing our non “destination club” status will take time. Hopefully Dingley’s elite facilities will help. Other than that, we have to develop a brand of footy that players see future success in and want to be part of. I have faith that Mitchell can guide us there.

Yet back in May this year he said about JOM and Mitchell:

"They're essentially worthless. What would you get for Tom Mitchell? There wasn’t (a market) last year and there won’t be again this year,” he said.

“He touched the footy 14 times (against Essendon), their (the Bombers) speed was able to expose Hawthorn’s midfield late. (The Hawk were) plodding along. It was very much on display late in that game and they were overrun with the Bombers’ power.

“It’s a real issue for Sam Mitchell and how he manages a midfield that looks very same with the personnel they’ve got.”

So which is it Kane? Are they valued accomplished midfielders or worthless plodders?

A 27-year old free agent is somehow this broken-down old hack but Jack Gunston at 31 is our best forward option?

He also said there was no way we would win 6 games this year.
Glorious post.

Tell Jaeger sorry, but club comes first and if he wants to leave its only to Giants.
There was a lot of this sort of grandstanding by clubs this trade period – Bulldogs, Dockers, Pies, GWS and Dees all talked up big games. Ultimately all their key players got to their preferred destinations. There are significant risks in taking this hard line and having it backfire on you.

No idea but it feels like it came up last minute. They wanted to keep him but he spoke up after they grabbed two more players that would be cometing with him for his spot. And he is a hawks fan.

I think they got Bruhn before they knew they were going to lose him, and they lost pick 18 for the swap.

It wont come up because everyone is ra ra Geelong and thats fine, but I think they dropped the ball with Cooper.

After reading about him more, Im more bullish on him than I am Bruhn.
This makes complete sense.

Kid gets picked up as a first rounder in 2019. Injured / COVID means no VFL footy to develop.

Sees the next year’s gun from the Geelong area (Bruhn) play 30 AFL games and traded back into his club. Plus Jack Bowes.

Opportunities remain fraught (even with Selwood retiring). Doesn’t want to tread water as a best 25 - 28 player competing with Bruhn/Bowes for games.

So a move to Hawthorn makes sense, gives him a better chance to become a regular senior player, and enables Geelong to get Henry in as well.

Geelong didn’t see it coming but realised it was their best way to get Jack and Ollie Henry playing there for the rest of their careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is wrong with some of you. We needed to move on from both Mitchell and JOM. We haven’t won a centre clearance in 3 years and both can’t dispose of the ball at all! Clubs weren’t gonna give up anything of substance for them. Cooper Stephens is a fantastic get. Cats loved him. He will start in our midfield. Future second is gold next year. JOM prob has3 years left. Geez
Honestly can not understand the logic and tantrum throwing in here. Stephens is walking into our midfield. He is literally 3rd at worst 4th in line behind Newk and Worpel. 21 year old big body. Had 3 years developing in the best club in the land for developing talent FFS. This nonsense of can't get a game shows me we have posters on here who are clueless. In what world is he getting a game in the role that he brings ahead of Selwood, Guthrie or Dangerfield?. Parfitt is the sort of player he was competing with who is about 2 years older and I rekon he is a solid player at worst. He played 7 games this year in a premiership team. You don't get gifted games in a great side.
We have added to our best 25. Amon, Meek and Stephens will all be there. If we draft an A grader with pick 6 I honestly don't see what the major disaster is. Our team is not as bad as some people may think. We got smashed with injury this year. Sure we're not good enough for finals yet but we have much more scope for improvement now with an age demographic that will be in a great spot in 2-3 years time. JOM and Mitchell were taking us nowhere. Couldn't care less what draft picks we received and yet we got 3 guys who will be in our best side moving forward.

Not sure if it's been posted but for a more reasonable viewpoint.

We've lost a little bit in terms of raw player value (they rate Karl Amon as the highest immediate value player in 2023, with Mitchell and JOM 2nd and 3rd on that list) but we have improved our draft hand in 2022 and 2023.

Stop bloody quoting this guy!!

The mods removed the warning about posting stuff about Kane less than 24 hours ago and you guys are like flies to s**t.

You're giving him attention and clicks
So let me get my head around what Kane thinks. We are rock bottom for midfield metrics and have been for years. We get pounded weekly through there causing other areas of the ground to feel the pressure yet by removing 2 players who are part of the problem it is somehow a disaster. Please do not pay attention to this bloke he knows nothing about our club. He wants clickbait and reactions.

Stop bloody quoting this guy!!

The mods removed the warning about posting stuff about Kane less than 24 hours ago and you guys are like flies to s**t.

You're giving him attention and clicks
Should be an automatic ban from the Hawks Board if you quote that flog.

There was a lot of this sort of grandstanding by clubs this trade period – Bulldogs, Dockers, Pies, GWS and Dees all talked up big games. Ultimately all their key players got to their preferred destinations. There are significant risks in taking this hard line and having it backfire on you.

Bulldogs didn't let Dunkley go when he was in contract last time. Freo refused Lobb last year.

Dunkley, Henry, Tarranto and Jackson were all out of contract.

Jaegar by reports was keen on Giants late in the trade period, and then with 24 hours to go Freo entered. So I don't think it is like those teams you mentioned given Jaegar was contracted, and it wasn't drawn out.

I actually like the O'Meara deal tbh. Just highlighting there was a first rd offered for him.

Ramsden will not be a ruck. It's why we pursued Meek. Will potentially become our 2nd tall alongside Lewis with Kosi as a 3rd tall which he would fare better with.
Ruck work is quite underwhelming but such a dynamic player at ground level for his height. Has good hands. Definitely a tall forward who can pinch in the ruck not the other way around.

Ramsden will not be a ruck. It's why we pursued Meek. Will potentially become our 2nd tall alongside Lewis with Kosi as a 3rd tall which he would fare better with.
Have heard the same. Ramma to be developed as a forward.

Bringing back to "No Kane Cornes" rule.

Anyone who links to Kane will get a daily PM from me, containing my next door neighbours complete 600 page manifesto about 5G, the globalist lizard paedophiles, vaccine microchips and Bill Gates NWO.

If you're going to lay bullshit on us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back