Preview Hawks vs - Port Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thin Ice - the bloody ground was covered in the stuff all night!

Honestly I think this is a big an issue of the game as the interchange infringement.

The ground is a disgrace.

On the plus side avoided any injuries and hopefully don't have to play there again this year :)

We need to get Ladson back in somehow. He's very important.

Assuming that Whitecross will be replaced by Hooper, either this week or next.

To me, the only person that Laddo could replace is Birchall.
Laddo would play HBF / Wing - same as Birch; yet would likely be cleaner with possession & probably defends a little better. On the downside he probably isn't as hard at it, nor does he rebound as effectively.

By no means do I want Birch out of the side - I just can't see who else would make room for Laddo to come into.

By no means do I want Birch out of the side - I just can't see who else would make room for Laddo to come into.
Ellis goes out for Laddo, he has by far the worst disposal in the team. On the rare occasion when he does kick a drop punt it goes high in the air with no penentration. Don't think he can kick over 40m. Couple of times had the ball with a target free 50m up the ground and had to handball sideways. If laddo had the ball in the same position he would have hit the guy leading on the chest with a nice flat kick.

In Tails, Hooper(when fit), laddo
out skip, whitX, ellis

Ellis goes out for Laddo, he has by far the worst disposal in the team. On the rare occasion when he does kick a drop punt it goes high in the air with no penentration. Don't think he can kick over 40m. Couple of times had the ball with a target free 50m up the ground and had to handball sideways. If laddo had the ball in the same position he would have hit the guy leading on the chest with a nice flat kick.

See now I think Birch is by far the side's worst deliverer of the ball due to his absolute lack of a right side.
Ellis can also play inside & has a better defensive edge than Birch - also wins the ball better.

See now I think Birch is by far the side's worst deliverer of the ball due to his absolute lack of a right side.
Ellis can also play inside & has a better defensive edge than Birch - also wins the ball better.
The difference is if Birch has a target leading at him from 60m he'll hit him on the chest. Ellis has to handpass off to someone that can kick. Birch is a 60m player, runs 10m kicks 50m. Ellis is a 10-30m player at best. Birch actually can kick on his right but rarely ever does in a game. I would guess Birch could probably kick futher on his right than ellis on his left. Ellis had a shot on goal from about 40m
and it dropped short. Birch would have put it ten rows back.

Ellis and Birch are totaly different players so can't compare. Ellis is a inside mid/half backer, birch is HB winger. Ellis is a good reader of the play and hard at it but is limited by his disposal.

Best comparision is with laddo, similar size with more pace, far better disposal, defensivly about the same when up and running. Ellis probably has him in his inside work. Just think he's a far more damaging player than ellis when fit.

L
I tend to agree Brant as with allot of your posts. I say no change this week I think as a whole there were no performances that justify any tinkering with the team.

As for the posters having a go at Ellis I just think I must be watching a different game to you lot. He has the best reflexes in the side and knows what he is going to do with the ball as soon as he gets- he is absolutely fanatic in close. And Whitecross stays- he wins his own ball, is composed and every game we get in to him between now and the end of the year will reap the team rewards.

I think Jordan Lewis needs a week back at Box Hill, was not impressed with his efforts at all

You can't be serious? Plays the best game in his career last week and now he has to be dropped.
God settle down every body we did not lose we drew with the current premier favorites and grand finalist if 09, we are not far of from being the flag favorite

You can't be serious? Plays the best game in his career last week and now he has to be dropped.
God settle down every body we did not lose we drew with the current premier favorites and grand finalist if 09, we are not far of from being the flag favorite
I'm deadily serious, i was sitting right behing the goals so got to see alot of him up close and he was shocking. He was lackluster at the ball and didn't work to create opportunities.

I'm deadily serious, i was sitting right behing the goals so got to see alot of him up close and he was shocking. He was lackluster at the ball and didn't work to create opportunities.

What he is not alowd to have a off night, you think he was the reason we drew, its funny how last week every one was praising him and now you want him gone.
Buddy giving away 4 50m penalties could be part the reason, Ozzie trying to be fancy right near the goals, no one in the goals square with 12 secs to go.
Sorry but we are going to agree to disagree, i just can not agree with you on this...

What he is not alowd to have a off night, you think he was the reason we drew, its funny how last week every one was praising him and now you want him gone.
Buddy giving away 4 50m penalties could be part the reason, Ozzie trying to be fancy right near the goals, no one in the goals square with 12 secs to go.
Sorry but we are going to agree to disagree, i just can not agree with you on this...
Where did i say i thought he was responsible for the draw? That would be a stupid thing to say hence i never said it. A off night i can tolerate if he's showing genuine endeavour, but he didn’t seem to be making much of an effort to me. I don't know he might have had the flu of something but if i just purely judged him on his performance then yes i believe he deserves to be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the ground helped any players last night, its fine we can both have our own opinions, he did take a big hit from Buddy accidental, maybe it had a little effect on his performance..

L

As for the posters having a go at Ellis I just think I must be watching a different game to you lot. He has the best reflexes in the side and knows what he is going to do with the ball as soon as he gets- he is absolutely fanatic in close.

This.

The people bagging Ellis are mystifying. don't seem to recognise class when they see it.

Would like to see Tails get a run sooner rather than later. I think they will be tempted to give Suzie a week's rest.

I would keep playing Whitey. The more games we get into him the better.

Given the farcical state of the ground I would not be surprised if one or two guys dont come up this week.

From what I can remember Lewis played up forward again, I like him in the midfield more than I do up forward but he is definitely not in droppable form

Just for some posters information Lewis played a defensive forward role on one of the Saints best rebound defensive players (Gilbert) and kept him to like 7 touches. Completely shutting down his influence. He spilt a few marks and had a few fumbles that would have led to his name being on the score sheet and comprehensivley dominating Sam. This is the role he is playing to have a role in the team (he is not required in midfiled rotations when we have, well everyone knows who we have).

As for Ellis, he was fine, good even. One holding the ball in the last when he tried to do too much in heavy traffic, but everyone forgets the 1-2, 1-2 he had from defensive 50 to kick the ball inside 50 so Roughy could mark and kick the goal that put us 7 up. His efforts were fantastic.

As for Whittey..hmmm...slotted a crucial goal, nice kick of the ball, but feel he is slightly slow or blows up really quickly after making 1 effort..not fit enough to be considered a dual effort player. This was the case one poster referred to when he seemed like he wasnt trying to run down Schnieder, but indeed he was, except he was blowing so hard after making 1 effort towards the wing. Not in the best 22 come finals.

Birchall....G.Birchall, very important player to the side, not having a right foot kills it for me. Under pressure, confined to his right, he MUST MUST MUST use his RIGHT foot no matter what it takes. I actually remember on a number of occasions (not just last night) when he has buckled...ie fallen to the ground, when he is corraled on his right, and constantly trying to get back on his left and subsequently gets pinned holding the ball. If under pressure and on your right (especially in defensive) just attempt to hack the ball out of there with your RIGHT boot. Anywhere will do, until he proves this or adds this to his game I do not mind seeing him DROPPED at all.

Now...

In. Peterson, (Hooper if available), Ladson
Out. Whitecross, Birchall (sorry but no room for 1 sided passengers :()

Osborne played on Gilbert not Lewis. He did a brilliant job.

Was Dempster on Lewis?? Lewis got clobbered a couple of times and so we should cut him some slack.

lewis played on fischer and got taken to the cleaners. In saying that he played very well against enright and last week so no big deal

I agree that Lewis was matched up on Fisher but I have a different take on your comment Four Pillars:
I think Lewis played way too far off Fisher and this is the reason he wasn't as successful as in recent weeks. It seemed like he played as a Forward Flanker (instead of Defensive Forward) & tried to punish / find space, as such leaving Fisher to play his normal game.

If Lewis had have played closer to Fisher & been more "Defense focused" Fisher would not have been as effective - and Lewis still would have had his goal scoring opportunities by virtue of him being in the contests near goals.

I think we should definitely develop Lewis in this role - just hope he has the pace to run with whoever Port use as their rebounder.

I think we should definitely develop Lewis in this role

Interesting to hear Lewis in a post match interview after the Lions game I believe. Said something along the lines of he doesn't mind doing what the team needs him to do but wouldn't won't to do it (defensive forward role) every week. :confused:

I agree that Lewis was matched up on Fisher but I have a different take on your comment Four Pillars:
I think Lewis played way too far off Fisher and this is the reason he wasn't as successful as in recent weeks. It seemed like he played as a Forward Flanker (instead of Defensive Forward) & tried to punish / find space, as such leaving Fisher to play his normal game.

If Lewis had have played closer to Fisher & been more "Defense focused" Fisher would not have been as effective - and Lewis still would have had his goal scoring opportunities by virtue of him being in the contests near goals.

I think we should definitely develop Lewis in this role - just hope he has the pace to run with whoever Port use as their rebounder.

You're right but in saying that he was put on fisher as a defensive matchup similar to previous weeks. I think he got ahead of himself and tried to be too offensive neglecting the defensive side of his game

You're right but in saying that he was put on fisher as a defensive matchup similar to previous weeks. I think he got ahead of himself and tried to be too offensive neglecting the defensive side of his game

Exactly - that is what I was trying to say - I just quite get it out.

If tasked to that role he should worry about being defensive - not trying to kick 4 every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back