sniper77

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2004
Doncaster East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not only does HFC require a new CEO, Coach and maybe even a President & board, the next burning issue could well be the captaincy. Is Crawford the best fit for a team that needs a big overhaul??? I have my opinion but would love to hear views from Hawks & Non-Hawks supporters....

This really highlights our lack of leadership amongst the senior players. I can't imagine Thompson, Dixon, Holland, Barker, Hay, Graham, Lekkas ever being an official leader of the club. The only options we have are Everitt if we are going for a short term captain, or Hodge if we are looking long term. There are a couple of others who could be good vice captains such as Bateman and Mitchell, but would think they would be left to focus on performances first.

Unless we try the Brisbane/St Kilda option of dual captains or rotate. Gone are the days where one person spoke to media, everyone is accountable. In a perfect world each line should compose of a leader (eg. in the 80's, Backline of Ayres, Langford & Mew, Centreline of Wallace, Dipper, Forward line of Tuck, Brereton, Dunstall etc etc etc. The above players were leaders whther they had the (c) next to their name. At the moment HFC have very few who are willing to take that next step.

My choice is to give Crawf a break, allow Everitt & Hodge to co-captain and then when Everitt retires Hodge is ready.

Rotation is not the way. Captaincy for Everitt is beyond him given his age. I think Hodge is the way to go. A young leader is what the club needs. Crawford must drop the captaincy.

I agree long term for Hodge, however he is still learning and has yet to put together a full year due to suspension or injury. The bloke has mongrel which is needed down there. His talent is also making others looking over their shoulders!!!! I feel sorry for Crawf. Love to see him with a flag but many other greats have not tasted the glory...

I don't think Hodge has done enough yet to take the captancy, i would say Crawf should keep it for at least another 2 seasons, i can only see this helping Hodges career, i would say for season '06 Hodge should be VC, and '07 Captain, that is as long as his form gets better.

Feher, assuming that I agree with your logic, I think Everitt could take on the captaincy in the twilight of his career as a short term option, then Hodge as you mentioned. Crawford hasn't been at all impressive off the field this year, when we needed him most. He needs to pass the captaincy on.

fair enough ROCK22, to me it comes down to how much time the player has spent at the club, Spider only spent 2 seasons (too many at the saints), not exactly the greatest role model, i wouldn't consider him as a better solution to Crawf, Crawf is not the ideal captain due to his off-field antics, but other then Crawf its slim picking, and Hodge ain't ready, Mitchell could get it, but then that should rule out Hodge ever getting it, and he aint ready either. Thompson hasn't being consistant enough, lekkas to me fails to show leadership quality, Hay still has a ? over his future at the club, Croad wouldn't be ideal either, vanders, ries, smith, brown etc not captain material imo so to me that would leave one more bloke and that is Graham, unlikely he will go on next season, the fans don't partically like him, but he has more courage then most and has leadership qualities, e.g. playing with his broken forearm(?), backing into packs etc.

i don't understand what the issue is with Crawford continuing as captain....plenty of players both inside and outside the club, have been impressed with his work ethic and have used him as a role model in attempting to improve as a player

and it seems all are agreed no-one else is ready made leadership material at the moment

mulhollanddrive said:
This really highlights our lack of leadership amongst the senior players. I can't imagine Thompson, Dixon, Holland, Barker, Hay, Graham, Lekkas ever being an official leader of the club. The only options we have are Everitt if we are going for a short term captain, or Hodge if we are looking long term. There are a couple of others who could be good vice captains such as Bateman and Mitchell, but would think they would be left to focus on performances first.

crawford should remain captain at least for next year anyway..he'll be back from his injury and some time off and should be good..he can blood hodge into the role and have everitt in a leadership role aswell...
thompson does not have what it takes...
holland as captain is a joke and he should retire asap..!!!
dixon as captain is a joke.....he's a softy and should be delisted or traded...
lekkas should be traded....
barker should retire...
hay is not captain material, can barely make a half a season and maybe wants to go home...
graham may retire aswell...

crawford must stay on with hodge and everitt as leaders...

We may be looking for another Captain anyway.

I normally don't go into rumours however I've just been told that Crawford is trying to organise a trade to Collingwood. This person has also put money up that it's going to happen. I hope this doesn't happen but Crawford is desperate to win a premiership and would have a close relationship with Eddie as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me just add this to your rumour.

He has no chance of winning a flag at Collingwood he my as well stay at Hawthorn. They are on the down hill spiral now. We can only head one way at that is up.

Just utter BS.

Bothers said:
We may be looking for another Captain anyway.

I normally don't go into rumours however I've just been told that Crawford is trying to organise a trade to Collingwood. This person has also put money up that it's going to happen. I hope this doesn't happen but Crawford is desperate to win a premiership and would have a close relationship with Eddie as well.

Wait until an official annoucement. Until then, dream that he might have an injury free pre-season and a useful final season......sound familiar?

We can anilyse the game as much as we like, However... Crawf is the best leader at the club by a long shot he has great presents on and off he works hard at EVRYTHING he does and is the best hawk that played there first game outside of the 80s. dont get ride of crawf let him decide

binxy24 said:
Wait until an official annoucement. Until then, dream that he might have an injury free pre-season and a useful final season......sound familiar?

Feel free to change your opinion or offer any apology, Binxy.

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned Vandenberg.

He's courageus, does not take his eye of the ball and possess several leadership qualities that your club needs.

In fact, a joint captaincy between Vandenberg and Everitt wouldn't work too bad, with Hodge being vice-captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back