Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its very very similar, but the players you moved on for peanuts are actually better players.

O'Meara and Mitchell both would have played 22 games next year for the Hawks. North moved on Jamie Macmillan and Shaun Atley.

You'll win less than 6 games combined in the next two years.
If you watched any Hawthorn game this year, you will know how little O'Meara's and Mitchell output influenced our results

And thats just a silly comment

Neither player that was brought in are proven young players. They might be okay, but theres nothing to base that off.

Your entire midfield has now changed.

All im saying is ive seen this movie before, and it isnt pretty.
Entire midfield changed 🤣

You havent got a clue

I just don't understand fire selling Jaeger and Mitchell for nothing. Sure get rid of them, but couldn't you have paid some of their salary to get better picks back? Who is Hawthorn paying their salary to this season? Front ending Amon and Sicilys contract by paying them $2m each?
Would be paying Lewis a decent wage this year

We got 2 "potential" best 22 players back and a second rounder for next years deep draft which is ok

I say potential loosely

Its more a development thing i think with the departures

I just don't understand fire selling Jaeger and Mitchell for nothing. Sure get rid of them, but couldn't you have paid some of their salary to get better picks back? Who is Hawthorn paying their salary to this season? Front ending Amon and Sicilys contract by paying them $2m each?
I agree with you. Giving away good players to get to the bottom. Hawthorn are tanking imo. Their supporters will struggle to admit it but you don't just give away those types for nothing. Mitchell is smart he knows he has credits being a favourite son. I like what hawthorn are doing in a way a step back to go forward but I don't like the way their doing it. Their eyes are on Harley Reid it looks like to me. On top of the racism scandal tainting the clubs reputation this is not a good look. Mitchell wants to finish as low as possible.

I agree with you. Giving away good players to get to the bottom. Hawthorn are tanking imo. Their supporters will struggle to admit it but you don't just give away those types for nothing. Mitchell is smart he knows he has credits being a favourite son. I like what hawthorn are doing in a way a step back to go forward but I don't like the way their doing it. Their eyes are on Harley Reid it looks like to me. On top of the racism scandal tainting the clubs reputation this is not a good look. Mitchell wants to finish as low as possible.
My god there are some bad takes on this page

Seems to consistently be WC supporters

I just don't understand fire selling Jaeger and Mitchell for nothing.
Is this one of these things where if people keep repeating it it becomes true?

In both Mitchell and O’Meara’s case we got both a player and picks back.

“Nothing” would be a pick in the 4th round.

Both players garnered a player coming back and draft picks including a future 2nd rounder.

How is that peanuts or next to nothing?
Try to see through your own bias mate. Your club is tanking, you can stay in denial all you want, your own supporters might support you but the wider community see this for what it is. You fire saled players who would prevent you finishing lower. Your goal is to finish as low as possible. Mitchell will never publicly say this. But it is actions that speak louder than words and your clubs actions getting rid of omeara and Mitchell on the cheap spoke volumes. Keep burying your head in sand though just as your club is doing with its racist culture. My how quick you were to critique Essendon and west coasts drug culture, yours is much worse.

And still he remains in denial. His club can do no wrong. Hawthorn are perfect a family club we should all look up to ? They wouldn't tank. Clarkson is innocent. It's the other clubs who have the problem, not Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And still he remains in denial. His club can do no wrong. Hawthorn are perfect a family club we should all look up to ? They wouldn't tank. Clarkson is innocent. It's the other clubs who have the problem, not Hawthorn.
Well this just shows me that you haven’t actually read any of my posts about the racism investigation or Clarkson, but go off.

Pretty sure they are paying their salaries or part thereof.

No

It's a bad take

Because its a bad take and just factually incorrect

Your consistent grammatical errors show how worked up you are

Hawks got you headf***ed
Posters generally resort to curse words when they have nothing intelligent left to say. Your precious Hawthorn Tankers are fooling no one my friend.

Posters generally resort to curse words when they have nothing intelligent left to say. Your precious Hawthorn Tankers are fooling no one my friend.
Posters like you are whats wrong with bigfooty, with nothing factually to offer

They become patronizing and sour

And if we are tanking, what's it your issue, is it because you cant use Covid as an excuse for being s**t this year?

Melbourne systematically cleared out their whole leadership team/older players. They decimated leadership in the list completely.

I would argue that the one thing clubs have needed to rebuild after decimating the list is not talent with high-end draft picks, but leadership. Carlton lack it, Essendon lack it. Geelong have lots, and bring more in. Collingwood have it. I think it's what holds Brisbane back at the business end of the season.

Success breeds it and failure kills it.

It's unbelievable that Hawthorn have got rid of their whole 2021 leadership group except for Worpel who struggled for a game. It's like zero value has been placed on the leadership qualities. If they lose 3 on the trot, or go 5 goals down in a quarter, who's going to bring them out of it mentally? Breust in the fwd pocket?
Hawthorn have been losing games by getting blown away in one quarter for three years. Even against some ordinary teams.
Even with most of these senior players there, none have been consistently able to make a difference

In my opinion you got effectively a second round pick for both players. For losing two best 22 players that is basically nothing, particularly when you are allegedly paying some of their wage. I don't consider Stephens or Meek to be worth anything as they are both fringe players / close to being delisted by their former clubs.

Back