Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Hawthorn are still at the bottom of the ladder in 6 years time needing top draft picks then they have way more to worry about than losing a sponsor they are going to lose anyway.
I reckon Richmond are in big trouble. It looks like you'll be peak rebuild mode as Tassie come into the league. You sold two drafts worth of high picks for Hopper and Taranto. Your next crack at the draft won't be until 2024. Tassie might be in the 2026 draft.

I reckon Richmond are in big trouble. It looks like you'll be peak rebuild mode as Tassie come into the league. You sold two drafts worth of high picks for Hopper and Taranto. Your next crack at the draft won't be until 2024. Tassie might be in the 2026 draft.
Anyone could be in trouble, even your mob who have some good players in their late 20's. If you don't strike now while the iron is hot then you guys will be smack bang in the middle.
You'd hope if youre at the bottom right now you won't be there in 6 years time.

Anyone could be in trouble, even your mob who have some good players in their late 20's. If you don't strike now while the iron is hot then you guys will be smack bang in the middle.
We've got our draft picks in this year's super draft thanks. We've also got the Camporeale brothers projected in the 2024 draft which gives us options to stack back end picks and get more picks in this draft and 2025 draft.

Lots of Hawk fans bumping their own thread after losing by five goals.
becuase we are now off the bottom of the ladder for now, so it is a (lame) way of saying "we are not tanking" or (less lamely) "we are s**t at tanking"

We've got our draft picks in this year's super draft thanks. We've also got the Camporeale brothers projected in the 2024 draft which gives us options to stack back end picks and get more picks in this draft and 2025 draft.
You'd wanna hope so.
Cripps will be 34 in 6 years time, Docherty 35, C.Curnow 32. Weitering 31, H McKay 31

True most people said St Kilda we're going nowhere any time soon.
that was last year let alone 5-6 years' time no one knows where teams will be that's a huge amount time in footy terms.

Cripps also has never played in a final & there are better teams in the competition imo so they need strike now while they have decent list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of Hawk fans bumping their own thread after losing by five goals.
Green shoots everywhere at moment. Lots to like.

Last edited:
Green chutes everywhere at moment. Lots to like.

1. An inclined trough, passage, or channel through or down which things may pass.
  2. A narrow, usually fenced passage for horses or cattle.
  3. A usually straight extension of one side of an oval racetrack, used to start certain longer races so that the finish line can be kept on a straightaway in front of the stands or clubhouse.

1. An inclined trough, passage, or channel through or down which things may pass.
  2. A narrow, usually fenced passage for horses or cattle.
  3. A usually straight extension of one side of an oval racetrack, used to start certain longer races so that the finish line can be kept on a straightaway in front of the stands or clubhouse.
I’ll take 1.

It didn’t look right, but I still hit send because I like living on the edge.

Cursed Cat apart from the occasional “lol” notification you’ve gone a bit quiet, everything ok?

Never been the most prolific of posters, Strapping Young Lad.

But as you've asked; I support a team that tries to win games of football - so no complaints from me!

Not surprised to see you up and about after yet another loss though; loser's mentality sits well with you! Green shoots :tearsofjoy:

Never been the most prolific of posters, Strapping Young Lad.

But as you've asked; I support a team that tries to win games of football - so no complaints from me!

Not surprised to see you up and about after yet another loss though; loser's mentality sits well with you! Green shoots :tearsofjoy:
We’re playing the long game here, watching the kids develop together.

It’s exciting and actually a lot less stressful than hoping that your club won’t fail to deliver on expectation for the 9th time in 10 years. 🙃

Harley will do a JHF if he gets picked up by West Coast. It's going to be the new norm for those kids who are the at the top end of the draft.
Think West Coast will do a deal and try and get 3 1st round picks out of it(maybe 2 if Freo continue looking so bad that Melbourne get pick 4 or 5)

It won’t be pick 1, but hawks will take their solitary first rounder to the draft … like most other clubs, and they may or may not find a good prospect … like most other clubs.
With only a single first rounder … like most other clubs already above them, how do the hawks climb past all these clubs who are also trying just as hard to improve each season ?
Other clubs in this type of rebuild can attest to how difficult the task is, even armed with multiple first round picks let alone just the mandatory one …
Buckle up hawks fans …

It won’t be pick 1, but hawks will take their solitary first rounder to the draft … like most other clubs, and they may or may not find a good prospect … like most other clubs.
With only a single first rounder … like most other clubs already above them, how do the hawks climb past all these clubs who are also trying just as hard to improve each season ?
Other clubs in this type of rebuild can attest to how difficult the task is, even armed with multiple first round picks let alone just the mandatory one …
Buckle up hawks fans …
We’ve got a good core as is but we have a F/S who will be a first, our first, and a 2nd ontop of 2 firsts last year.

Talk about NFI

We’ve got a good core as is but we have a F/S who will be a first, our first, and a 2nd ontop of 2 firsts last year.

Talk about NFI

Your “good core” see’s you in 17th place, only percentage above WC who have 26 fit players available.
F/S McCabe will still have to be paid for with draft picks wherever he’s drafted.
To bring in pick 18 (Weddle) last year the hawks traded pick 27 and their second and third rounders this year !!
There’s no freebies in this caper, use your single first rounder wisely …

Back