Preview Hawthorn vs Essendon - The Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the game from the boundary line last week, it was pretty plain to see that of the four potential dropees, Shoey was the one most experiencing "deerinheadlightitis". Peterson & WhiteX Both displaying better form with Peterson looking relaxed and sure in front of goals, and WhiteX displaying an overall confidence in all he did.

Muston deserves his spot. Long raking kick, hitting targets, and was unlucky not to end up with another goal or two.

It's pretty plain to see that Shoey has been retained on his defensive attributes rather than form. I don't have a problem with it, as others have said, Peterson has struggled with fitness in the past and the fact that we now have the opportunity to rest players before they break down signals that a change in fortune is perhaps not too far away.

With some of our superstars (Hodge, Rioli, Burgoyne looks about ready to explode) reaching compulsory tag form, I reckon it'll be our 2nd tier midfield stars i.e. Sewell, Lewis, Bateman, Young, who may well prove the difference. I'd even include Mitch in this category, given his form of late (barring last week) he'd be unlucky to attract a tag. Could be B.O.G This week.

Would love to see plenty of run off half back from Birch, Young, Muston, and Ladson all kicking over midfield lines, hitting targets, and thereby taking Essendon's footspeed somewhat out of the equation.

Not exactly confident going into this one but we have the talent and team continuity advantage going into the game, if we can just transfer that onto the scoreboard I think we'll be okay.

Watching the game from the boundary line last week, it was pretty plain to see that of the four potential dropees, Shoey was the one most experiencing "deerinheadlightitis". Peterson & WhiteX Both displaying better form with Peterson looking relaxed and sure in front of goals, and WhiteX displaying an overall confidence in all he did.

Muston deserves his spot. Long raking kick, hitting targets, and was unlucky not to end up with another goal or two.

I thought Muston was good last week. I thought he trained impressively - when he unleashes that kick... Incidentally, he did quite a bit of goal kicking at training too.

I'm glad that, after working on his game and performing last week, that faith is being shown in him.

It's pretty plain to see that Shoey has been retained on his defensive attributes rather than form. I don't have a problem with it, as others have said, Peterson has struggled with fitness in the past and the fact that we now have the opportunity to rest players before they break down can only be a good thing.

Agree with all of this. Peterson might have niggle too. Giving him a week at this point, with the split round coming up, makes sense.

With some of our superstars (Hodge, Rioli, Burgoyne looks about ready to explode) reaching compulsory tag form, I reckon it'll be our 2nd tier midfield stars i.e. Sewell, Lewis, Bateman, Young, who may well prove the difference. I'd even include Mitch in this category, given his form of late (barring last week) he'd be unlucky to attract a tag. Could be B.O.G This week.

It's my understanding that Young was essentially rested last week to make sure he's 100% for this week.

As for the others: Burgoyne is still below top fitness, second half of the season is when he'll crank it up in my opinion; Bateman has some redeeming to do; Lewis and Sewell are working into some form too.

Bring it on.

Perhaps Peterson was dropped to be rested (keep in mind it's his first season in the seniors) or because he's the lightest body in the side besides probably Ellis?

Despite our impression that Essendon are a team of outside runners they killed us with tackling and contested footy last time.
Yep, Hocking was terrific and across the board, we were bigger and heavier and made good use of it. Every game this year - bar Port - we've had a good crack at the hard inside footy, we've won - so stop that, stop us.

As far as I can see, you've got 3 outside players we've got 4. Not a huge difference. With no dempsey, no dyson, no colyer this is probably as big as our midfield & backline are going to get. I'm baffled by Lonergan's continued presence but he always manages to throw that gigantic noggin over it and win a couple of crucial possessions in the forward line.

Stanton's been great against you lot recently and will definitely be the first tagged. Winderlich could tear you apart, could be quiet...again..., but if he does get going that could take focus off someone like Prismall or Melksham.

Having a look at the bombers line up there defence doesn't show alot of offensive play to it!! The only player that looks like that are essendon are going to free up is Fletcher to either go 3rd man up or with his long kicking be an offensive weapon! I think we should put Beau on him, he is good on the air he is physical and with his long kicking could damage bombers going the other way!!

I'm surprised by the number of people saying that Schoey shouldn't have been picked because he had a bad game last time against Ess. If we follow that logic then Roughie and a number of others shouldn't be playing either. Schoey hasn't been setting the world on fire, but I thought he was solid last week. Plus he needs to be given games on the big stage to develop if we want him to be our future CHB.

I like CP and agree he is stiff, but for team balance I think it's the right call. I hope we absolutely put them to the sword tonight and end their season. Nothing would be sweeter than seeing Knights' face after we annihilate them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back