Preview Hawthorn vs Essendon - The Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they put Roughead as a loose man in defence every now and again. They did it against the Crows for a bit last week and it worked well.

You calling that he (Schoey) will play down back LP??

No inside info or anything, just the way I read the matchups.

Has anyone been noticing how we're using the rucks as targets a lot more lately? Especially on the half back and the half forward flanks. Not always taking the mark (although both Skip and Roof have taken a few!) but everyone seems to know exactly where to run when it happens.

There should be no surprises about Schoey's form this year. He literally been thrown into every position from game to game, even ruck, compared to last year where he was allowed to settle into defense with the same thing asked of him every week.

This game would be perfect to trial Roughead at CHB on Hurley of Gumbleton (especially seeing that Hurley has smashed us the last two times we played them)

This also opens the door for Schoey to play up forward along with Buddy.

This also allows Hodge to play more midfield that defence and hopefully the occasional drift forward.

Hope Murphy plays on a small rather than a tall as I think he is a different player when on someone shorter than him - he not only confidently outmarks them but is very good on the ground (both aspects go astray against taller opponents)

Need big games from our experienced second tier players like Guerra, Ladson, Birchall, Lewis and Osbourne if we are going to win this one - hope we don't get sucked into playing the man and smash them on the scoreboard which is the only battle which counts in my book

GO YOU HAWKERS!!!!!

Our best team for the season. Good hard nosed squad. If the rain holds off we will win by a fair margin. Essendone are not that good a team. They were exposed last week and we will repeat the dose this week.

I don't hope the rain holds off - I hope it buckets (and I am planning to go to the game!)

Reason being is that the bombers play in the rarified indoor atmosphere on docklands, I mean they ran inside at training when the hail came down - they are a team of softc*cks who will struggle in the elements (also that whole speed skill thing they think they have going starts to crumble a bit in the wet and Hurley and Gumbleton start to lose their appeal as marking targets

that said we should win regardless of the conditions

Razor Ray loves us.
Still scares me though. McLaren is woeful, not matter what. But Ray can be good one week and horrible the next. It's still a toss of the coin. But I dare say that Essendon fans will hate the fact that Razor will be officiating.

Re: Hawks vs Dons - Changes and Discussion Here

Who will go on Hurley, he looked in touch last week. Really dont like the prospect of Gilham Vs Hurley, i think if that happened Hurley could very easily kick 8+, ideally would love to see stratton vs hurley. Do you guys think that would eventuate
Settle down mate your carrying on as if hurley is jason dunstall or something, yes he is a threat but our defenders are in much better form than they were back in round 6, sure gilly got touched up last week but tippett in that form would beat most defenders. Stratton will take him and imo will beat him.

Disappointed for Carl, he doesn't deserve to be dropped but I think we will make a late change as suggested and he will come in for Young.

Happy that Muston stayed in the team, his pace and defensive pressure have been good. Maybe we have found the right role for him.

Also with Schoey he is lucky to be picked but I don't mind this as the more games he gets the faster he can learn. Also will help in his confidence.

We have selected a strong team and should be too strong for the Dons but who knows.

Really looking forward to this game. Go Hawks!
dont see how you can say schoey is lucky to be in, he was clearly best player at BH for at least 3 weeks in a row and imo deserves to be in. He is in to play on Ryder when he goes forward which will allow us to try and expose bellchambers in the ruck (Hooker cant go in because he will be on buddy, Its great that we can now put pressure on the other teams ruckman now other than it being done to us). At the end of the day we havent lost any pace in the side, we dropped 2 quick players for 2 quick players. This is the main concern going into the game and considering they have dropped dempsey i dont think they willl expose us that much at all. If we win the clearances we will smash them, we didnt have burgoyne nor skipper last time, absolutely crucial these 2 are to the side atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle down mate your carrying on as if hurley is jason dunstall or something, yes he is a threat but our defenders are in much better form than they were back in round 6, sure gilly got touched up last week but tippett in that form would beat most defenders. Stratton will take him and imo will beat him.

Couldn't agree more. Hurley is a 20 gamer yet to play a full season. Similarly, with Gumbleton. Our defence needs to go in with confidence that we can cover these blokes. I imagine Shoe will go to Hurley from the start. Good match up. Respect your opponent, don't fear them..

I'm surprised that so many people think Bateman should be playing at Box Hill this weekend. With Box Hill having the bye, do they think that another week not playing is preferable to being a senior on-field leader?

For me, there's no choice. If he's fit, play him in the one's.

Everyone has an opinion but I thought we looked much more dangerous with Changa and Young running and cutting the lines against Port. Changa may have been patchy but he can hopefully put in a big one after being rubbed out and both will be important against a speedy opposition. Carl seems to lack fitness to run out 4 quarters which may have been what tipped the decision against him. Might be good time for him to take a break with the bye next week.

Personally, I think that Chance may have had a niggle or not been 100% early on, hence the lack of pace and impression on the game. Actually thought when he got the suspension, that it may be a good thing for him to ease off for a couple of weeks and get himself right - just my opinion from watching his games.

Moving forward, Experience, giving Peterson a break, knowing that Essendon have had some success with Ryder & Hill moving forward so keeping some tall options that can decoy for buddy... I think the team is good.

To be honest, for me, the team can beat them regardless of a few changes, it depends on the attitude of the team that walks out that will be the key, regardless of speed or height.

Personally, I think that Chance may have had a niggle or not been 100% early on, hence the lack of pace and impression on the game. Actually thought when he got the suspension, that it may be a good thing for him to ease off for a couple of weeks and get himself right - just my opinion from watching his games.

Moving forward, Experience, giving Peterson a break, knowing that Essendon have had some success with Ryder & Hill moving forward so keeping some tall options that can decoy for buddy... I think the team is good.

To be honest, for me, the team can beat them regardless of a few changes, it depends on the attitude of the team that walks out that will be the key, regardless of speed or height.
Damn Straight.
This was sorely missing last time.

Our attitude will go a long way to getting us over the line.

I must say I love how the hun lists team average age each week. Our current team average age is now the highest it has been all season. I cant help but feel when our average age goes up so does our fortunes. Does any-one else feel the same?

I must say I love how the hun lists team average age each week. Our current team average age is now the highest it has been all season. I cant help but feel when our average age goes up so does our fortunes. Does any-one else feel the same?
For sure, and with such a young list, we're substituting in experience which really should be beneficial.

For sure, and with such a young list, we're substituting in experience which really should be beneficial.
follow this rule taking into account any injuries and you'll pick the team changes 9 out of 10 times.

little things are starting to fall our way and our season is taking shape. depth in selection, players being rotated in/out of the team, all these relatively 'minor' occurrences contribute to a build up towards september. the confidence is growing.

the bombers have cost me big time on the punt this year, time for some payback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back