Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG- Saturday July 20th 2019 - Edited Page 18 current discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m confident Hawthorn will win. They’ll go in as the heavy underdogs and the media will pump the tyres up of Geelong’s big 3.

Now count how many times Rhys Stanley allows McEvoy and Ceglar to take marks around the ground and kick goals.

I'd love to buy into this, but our injury list is just too long and the Cats are playing pretty good football at the moment.

Let's hope it is a close game and continues to be the best fixture of the H&A season...

Hoping a rested JOM can break out of the blocks early.

Chad in his 150th to turn it on. Loves a big stage.

Scully starting to hit his straps now.

Sicily back to AA form. Likewise McEvoy.

Hendo in career best form.

Breust and Gunston to hit the scoreboard.

People tipping us to get done, and fair enough. But the above can show that if we’re on, we can be a handful for anyone.

Depends which Hawthorn shows up Monday. I reckon we’ll be up for it. Clarko and Mitchell will be scheming all week.

The unfortunate truth for Hawks fans (which they will probably gloss over) is that Frawley, Burgoyne, Birchall aren't actually that good any more and are unlikely to return and have a heroic impact. Mitchell and O'Meara both being out last week was a kick in the nutsack for them. Not having Shiels against a team where you would like to tag at least one of the midfielders is a kick in the gooch to go with it.

Frawley was never that good, but he's still a very effective stopper and that is probably one of the more important things in a game against Geelong. Who do we play against Hawkins?

If you define 'heroic impact' by touches and goals or whatever other arbitrary metric, the same could be said for any non-attacking key defender. Outside of Mitchell and O'Meara, I'd honestly say that Frawley is the worst out we could have this weekend.

I will agree that Burgoyne isn't what he used to be, but he's only on the ground for around 70% of the time these days and is used predominantly as an impact player. Birchall I haven't been counting as an out considering he hasn't played in 18 months.

Geelong should win and won’t have any excuses if they lose

As we all know, easter monday games are usually crackers, but i wonder if it's a bridge too far this time, Hawks will have a good crack but any other gane Geelong would be considered unbackable.

Having said that you never know, might be in for another huge game. Go hawks! Booo geelong!

The Hawks are going in with basically a fully fit side right?

I wish a plethora of Hawk posters could confirm if they have some injuries or not.
Hawthorn plays a fully fit 22 every week. This week will be no different. The Duckwood Cup is always something to behold. I wonder which player of ours will try and elbow Selwoods’ head off this week? Always happy to have a sacrificial lamb in these games.

Frawley was never that good, but he's still a very effective stopper and that is probably one of the more important things in a game against Geelong. Who do we play against Hawkins?

If you define 'heroic impact' by touches and goals or whatever other arbitrary metric, the same could be said for any non-attacking key defender. Outside of Mitchell and O'Meara, I'd honestly say that Frawley is the worst out we could have this weekend.

I will agree that Burgoyne isn't what he used to be, but he's only on the ground for around 70% of the time these days and is used predominantly as an impact player. Birchall I haven't been counting as an out considering he hasn't played in 18 months.

I agree RE: Frawley, don't rate him that highly but your FB cupboard is bare. He's the best option for Hawkins you have.

Birchall and Burgoyne were quality players once upon a time. I can't remember the last time Birchall played, and Burgoyne is 37 this year. Didn't do much in the two games he played this year and was uncharacteristically s**t in last year's finals. I look at those guys like I looked at Mark LeCras last/this year. A loss not to have him there but not like taking him out of the side 5-10 years ago.

Geelong's biggest area of weakness at the moment is their lack of small defenders. I read somewhere that Bews conceded the least goals of all shutdown small defenders last year and does that job week in week out. He hasn't been that big a loss this year because O'Connor has been playing that role well.

So in effect Hawthorn will be missing Mitchell - who you can't really include because he's out all year, Frawley (who does a reasonable job on Hawkins and Shiels. Burgoyne hasn't had much impact now for a while.

Geelong are without Tuohy, Henderson, Cockatoo (he's an upgrade on Atkins) and Bews (who is still a better defender than O'Connor).

I'll stand by my call regardless of how close it is.

Point is Hawthorn supporters are crying foul on the injury front when Geelong have their fair share as well. If not worse.

You can't count Mitchell because he's (probably) out all year?

Pretty sure he's still on the list and being paid.

Cockatoo has played 34 games in 4 years. At no stage has he ever been a key figure.

Hawthorn fans are crying foul about their injury list because (a) it's not nice, and (b) they don't have much depth. A few key injuries has the potential to derail their season. Geelong's injury list is supposedly as bad (though I don't think anyone who doesn't barrack for Geelong would agree) and they are are a kick away from being undefeated after 4 games.

I agree RE: Frawley, don't rate him that highly but your FB cupboard is bare. He's the best option for Hawkins you have.

Birchall and Burgoyne were quality players once upon a time. I can't remember the last time Birchall played, and Burgoyne is 37 this year. Didn't do much in the two games he played this year and was uncharacteristically s**t in last year's finals. I look at those guys like I looked at Mark LeCras last/this year. A loss not to have him there but not like taking him out of the side 5-10 years ago.

Frawley isn't much of a footballer, sure. He's still one of the best in the business as a stopper though.

I don't like making excuses for players but in Burgoyne's case, broken ribs may have caused him to struggle a bit. Burgoyne is still important for the team though because he's a player who can still rise to the occasion regardless of age. Having him out there for the last quarter against the Dogs and for the Saints would have made a world of difference. I don't believe we would have been beaten if he played.

That being said, you can only play with what you have available.

We managed to moderately hold it together for the second half of 2017 without Frawley, Birchall, Stratton and Gibson so I'm hoping that we'll be okay considering the growth of a few youngsters down there.

Shaun played with a shirt full of busted ribs all finals series. A harsh criticism, but ok, he put himself on the park.

Agree with the post above. Even at the ripe age of 36, he has a knack of steadying the ship in tight games. The loss on Sunday is the type of game you want him in.

Having said all that, as a club we need to get used to life without Shaun. Not an easy task. An absolute great of the game and the club. Has saved our arses on countless occasions.

You can't count Mitchell because he's (probably) out all year?

Pretty sure he's still on the list and being paid.

Cockatoo has played 34 games in 4 years. At no stage has he ever been a key figure.

Hawthorn fans are crying foul about their injury list because (a) it's not nice, and (b) they don't have much depth. A few key injuries has the potential to derail their season. Geelong's injury list is supposedly as bad (though I don't think anyone who doesn't barrack for Geelong would agree) and they are are a kick away from being undefeated after 4 games.
Most had Geelong in the bottom half of the table too so I'll take their opinions with a grain of salt.

And you hit the nail of the head in regards to the depth comment, it's why they're making out their injury list is bigger than anyone else's when in reality it isn't They're simply trying to make excuses for a lack of performance.

Most had Geelong in the bottom half of the table too so I'll take their opinions with a grain of salt.

And you hit the nail of the head in regards to the depth comment, it's why they're making out their injury list is bigger than anyone else's when in reality it isn't They're simply trying to make excuses for a lack of performance.

A team who’s missing their four best midfielders and their three most experienced defenders doesn’t have a bigger injury list than most teams right now? Alright.

I look forward to McEvoy and Ceglar running rings around Stanley and the Hawks small forwards making the Geelong defenders defend the loose ball inside the Hawks 50. It’s going to be a long afternoon for the Geelong defence. :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team who’s missing their four best midfielders and their three most experienced defenders doesn’t have a bigger injury list than most teams right now? Alright.

I look forward to McEvoy and Ceglar running rings around Stanley and the Hawks small forwards making the Geelong defenders defend the loose ball inside the Hawks 50. It’s going to be a long afternoon for the Geelong defence. :$
We aren't missing our 4 best midfielders

If O'Meara plays we are missing 2 of our best 4 centre square mids in Mitchell and Shiels. Burgoyne is a part time mid, i wouldn't include him as one of best mids anymore.

Loss of Frawley is an issue because Brand is ordinary. Ceglar's form has been poor and would be close to being dropped, I would rather see Lewis in so we might actually have someone take a contested mark in the forward line

Whatever makes you feel better.

Hawthorn plays a fully fit 22 every week. This week will be no different. The Duckwood Cup is always something to behold. I wonder which player of ours will try and elbow Selwoods’ head off this week? Always happy to have a sacrificial lamb in these ga
We aren't missing our 4 best midfielders

If O'Meara plays we are missing 2 of our best 4 centre square mids in Mitchell and Shiels. Burgoyne is a part time mid, i wouldn't include him as one of best mids anymore.

Loss of Frawley is an issue because Brand is ordinary. Ceglar's form has been poor and would be close to being dropped, I would rather see Lewis in so we might actually have someone take a contested mark in the forward line
feel Stratton is the one that will be most missed

We are no chance in this game, players have been drinking their own bath water and will be exposed on the MCG by Clarkson's gameplan.
Don't know why anyone would be expecting anything less

The personnel available for both teams this week says Geelong should win comfortably, but it never works that way with us & the hawks....Last year in Round 21 was no different, we were heavily favoured & I didn’t like it, same as this week. It will be a margin of 18 points or less. Bookmark it.
Hmmm. I hope we will be up for it but you guys are really hitting your straps atm and we are still finding ours. I’m not sure it will be that close 😢. Love our games so it will be a disappointment if we don’t challenge you (not just from a Hawthorn perspective).

Geelong's biggest area of weakness at the moment is their lack of small defenders. I read somewhere that Bews conceded the least goals of all shutdown small defenders last year and does that job week in week out. He hasn't been that big a loss this year because O'Connor has been playing that role well.

So in effect Hawthorn will be missing Mitchell - who you can't really include because he's out all year, Frawley (who does a reasonable job on Hawkins and Shiels. Burgoyne hasn't had much impact now for a while.

Geelong are without Tuohy, Henderson, Cockatoo (he's an upgrade on Atkins) and Bews (who is still a better defender than O'Connor).

I'll stand by my call regardless of how close it is.

Point is Hawthorn supporters are crying foul on the injury front when Geelong have their fair share as well. If not worse.

Only real outs are Tuohy and Bews. Henderson is no longer a starter. He only got a game against Adelaide because of Henry's injury, and wasn't very good in it. Cockatoo can't be considered an out until he manages to string some games together.

I don't think so.
Henderson is pretty bad now.
He will struggle to even get back in the side and hold his spot. At least Taylor is playing accountable footy despite this being his last season.
Henderson is on big money so maybe the club can package him up in some trade next year because at this rate, his AFL career is almost finished.
Yeah I had Henderson ahead of Taylor before the season started. Then I saw a JLT game and it’s clear Taylor has had a good pre season and Henderson has dropped some pace and his injuries have got to him. Taylor ahead of him now, but Taylor will get worse I would think as the season goes on. Was exposed by Cameron for running ability and pace. Henry has struggled, so I think Blicavs and kolo are the two mainstays down back for the big defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back