Historical rape allegation against the Attorney-General Christian Porter

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes, the 'women make up rape accusations to ruin mens lives' brigade has arrived

No I just believe if you truly want justice you must first go to the police, and then go through the courts. Not write a few letters and play political games. Which is sadly all this seems to be.

Ah yes, the 'women make up rape accusations to ruin mens lives' brigade has arrived
Thank goodness.

I was hoping the cavalry would arrive to save ... ... one of the half dozen most powerful blokes in the country.

Unfortunately nothing can save him from himself.

Here's the whole 36 minutes, Porter starts to speak at 1:30.

He has spent the last days surrounded by top legal experts determining the strategy he would use. This would include rehearsing all sorts of questions and responses. That was a finally honed presentation.

His response that it is unfair to have an inquiry that he cant prove something that did not happen is silly.
Firstly he would not have to do that .
secondly he would be out of a job if every person who was accused and denies it is then let of without further investigation .

there must be an independent inquiry .

No I just believe if you truly want justice you must first go to the police, and then go through the courts. Not write a few letters and play political games. Which is sadly all this seems to be.
so you're saying that there is literally no reason why she (or other victims) wouldn't go to the police, and the fact that she didn't (as a child) go to the police is proof she fabricated the whole thing (before killing herself) purely to try and take down porter for some reason. a compelling argument, let me consider it for a minute....
Fv1v9eK.gif

Many women or children who are sexually abused, sexually assaulted or raped, that did not have mental illnesses before they were sexually abused, sexually assaulted, or raped, go on to develop a mental illness directly as a result of that sexual abuse, sexual assault or rape.
no doubt, but does that negate the presumption of innocence?

no doubt, but does that negate the presumption of innocence?
Have an inquiry with a judge.
What does he have to hide. It is not up to him to prove his innocence thought this is what Porter would have you believe.

This lady left diaries , statements, audio tapes and spoke with friends at length about the allegation.
This is what Porter fears, his lies would not stand up against her truths.

He has spent the last days surrounded by top legal experts determining the strategy he would use. This would include rehearsing all sorts of questions and responses. That was a finally honed presentation.

His response that it is unfair to have an inquiry that he cant prove something that did not happen is silly.
Firstly he would not have to do that .
secondly he would be out of a job if every person who was accused and denies it is then let of without further investigation .

there must be an independent inquiry .
I guess he thinks his tearful-yet-carefully-worded-and-well-rehearsed performance will play well with the general public.

It did not play well with me.

I guess he thinks his tearful-yet-carefully-worded-and-well-rehearsed performance will play well with the general public.

It did not play well with me.
His defence of I can’t disprove something that did not happen came across as poor for an AG who knows the legal world better than anyone.
It did not resonate with me at all.

Have an inquiry with a judge.
What does he have to hide. It is not up to him to prove his innocence thought this is what Porter would have you believe.

This lady left diaries , statements, audio tapes and spoke with friends at length about the allegation.
This is what Porter fears, his lies would not stand up against her truths.

it is in the court of public opinion, which is the only theatre of war there will be a battle in.

imagine the interactions you had when you were 18. add 30 years, a mental illness and a position or power to the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is in the court of public opinion, which is the only theatre of war there will be a battle in.

imagine the interactions you had when you were 18. add 30 years, a mental illness and a position or power to the mix.
That is why an independent inquiry is crucial for all concerned and also the Australian public who are entitled to know that their AG is not a rapist.

The court of public opinion have found him guilty , Porter needs the inquiry more than anyone.

it is still a huge stigma to publicly announce you've been assaulted, and it comes with all sorts of trauma and mental issues.
My father went on a holiday to the US years ago with some mates. One of his mates (male) was raped at knife point by two females. No way known he'd ever want to talk about it.

I know women close to me who have been raped. From my experience they don't even want to talk about it with people they trust.

Porter may never be found guilty in a court of law but the whole thing stinks. It's not a political witch hunt, and I think he has a lot to fear about an independent inquiry.

I’ve believed in the rule of law my whole life, but if there is an investigation into this, the rule of law will essentially no longer exist in Australia.
Maybe we should put this one down to Porter's current apparent mental health issues.

And if he does actually mean what he said, then he might have to start considering a new career away from both Politics and the Legal Profession.

Mr Porter said on Wednesday that he didn't see what such an inquiry would achieve because he would have to disprove the claims of the woman.
But Michael Bradley from Marque lawyers said he wouldn't have to disprove anything.
"There's nothing particularly unusual about such a process, to inquire into and make a determination on a serious allegation against a person in a position of responsibility," he told PM.
"That literally happens every day of the week."

He said the "key issue" was whether Mr Porter could continue to be Attorney-General.
The question for the Prime Minister is, is it OK to proceed with business as usual and take the case as closed, purely on the basis that Mr Porter says it didn't happen?
"Or do we need to properly test and address the allegation to put it to bed fully, one way or the other, so that we can all move on?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back