Hornethorne and the wooden spoon dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wooden spoon since 1965....Wake up anyone who WANTS this to happen.
Can't believe that it looks likes the majority on here want it to happen

Most of the time the number 1 pick doesn't end up being the best player in the draft

For what it is worth we have won 11 wooden spoons since entering the AFL/VFL.
The reality is everyone remembers the Premierships, few remember the finals finishes and virtually no one remembers the spoons.

The aim of every club is to win premierships. If you happen to win a spoon or lose a lot of games in the build up to winning silverware that is the price you pay to develop a premiership winning team.

Remember in 2004 we finished second last with 4 wins and third last in 2005 with 5 wins. Deja vu.

I'm not hoping for a spoon. However, if we keep picking guys who are probably in front right now but won't be on our list in a few years, just to remain more compatitive, then that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not hoping to lose.

I’d prefer us to play to our full potential, by trying to win every game. Once you start establishing deliberately losing, your incorporating that into our culture. So I don’t care where we finish on the ladder, as long as the players and club give themselves their all. So if we end up getting pick 1 or pick 8, as long as we are trying it doesn’t matter, as long as we are not trying to deliberately lose, it’s all good.

Can't believe that it looks likes the majority on here want it to happen

Dont get 'wanting it to happen' confused with being 'ok with it happening'. We all support differently, personally Im at an age where a bit of stick about the wooden spoon doesn't phase me and I dont really read the sensationalist media anyway, so a spoon doesn't bother me one bit. It definitely wouldn't bother me if Horne is sitting there at $1.20 favourite for the RS after round 4 next year...

Most of the time the number 1 pick doesn't end up being the best player in the draft

Most of the time sure, but not this time, bear in mind how the talent identification has skyrocketed in the past few years. Add to it pick 1 in the PSD and we have a great bargaining chip too.

Move away from tanking talk. We are not tanking and dont need to.

If you consider getting pick 1 as the end game, we have been pretty 'lucky' our injuries have come to key players meaning they should sit out the rest of the year but should still get a good pre season in. Our depth is atrocious, we dont need to tank to finish bottom.

I’d prefer us to play to our full potential, by trying to win every game. Once you start establishing deliberately losing, your incorporating that into our culture. So I don’t care where we finish on the ladder, as long as the players and club give themselves their all. So if we end up getting pick 1 or pick 8, as long as we are trying it doesn’t matter, as long as we are not trying to deliberately lose, it’s all good.

Agree if we finish bottom because we are not that good so be it but try to win every game not just tank our way to it.

I’m in the camp that we don’t need to tank.. we are so bad that I can’t see us winning another game anyway. I think Adelaide is the only winnable game for us but even they I think with our injuries they will take us.

Our last spoon (65) came 4 years after a flag (61). Then from 65 it took us 6 years to win a premiership again (71). That’s the ultimate fall and rise over a decade (61 - 71).

So, if we win the spoon this year (I hope not)there’s a chance to emulate that feat in a decade but in reverse order. This time it would be 6 years from flag to spoon (2015 - 2021) then 4 years to a flag (2021 - 2025). Hawks for premiers in 25? well we can dream I guess…

Crows making a big play for pick 1. They’ll be trying to lose against us. Without tex they have nothing up forward.

Not sure that matters. We made Bailey Banfield and Rory Lobb look like 1,000 career goal kickers last weekend. Someone from the Crows will step up and kick a bag or two.

In 2004 we were bottom for half the year with Richmond pipping us at the post for the spoon. Bless them :)
4 years later, Premiers.

A strong draft position this year is really important and while I would prefer to not come last, in the scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2004 we were bottom for half the year with Richmond pipping us at the post for the spoon. Bless them :)
4 years later, Premiers.

A strong draft position this year is really important and while I would prefer to not come last, in the scheme of things it really doesn't matter.
We also won 2 of the last 4 including beating them to finish above them.
They pick up Deledio (who was almost the consensus number 1 at the time) and Tambling from picks 1 and 4 and spend another 10 years in the wilderness while we pick up Roughead and Franklin

I would leave 2020 out of any discussion.

The best sides still found a way, Richmond and Geelong based in QLD all year pretty much still played off in the GF.

We didn't finish 15th because of the hubs, we finished 15th because we're a bottom 4 side and it's as simple as that.

The reality is everyone remembers the Premierships, few remember the finals finishes and virtually no one remembers the spoons.

That's coz the majority of posters on here weren't around when we were finishing on the bottom.

I'm sure the bulk of these same posters don't remember the 84 GF loss either.

4 years later, Premiers.
Yep, and not one of their flags contained any of the players they drafted in 2004. Funny that.

Yet, Hawks who finished 2nd bottom picked up players who became 4 time premiership heroes and a bloke who just kicked 900 goals. Finishing last doesn't guarantee anything.

So much talk about our current injurys.

last year Gunston Sicily etc were playing for the most part and we were still garbage.

was it the hub the reason we struggled to kick 6 goals per game or the start of what we are seeing this year?
I agree, we can't be blaming injuries for last year and where we find ourselves this year, we have had what i would have thought was a good run with injuries up until the last few weeks yet we still find ourselves 17th. Game plan is the problem, a game plan that will only let you kick 8 to 10 goals a game will not win you to many games no matter who is running round in the brown & gold.

I can't believe i am saying this but i am actually looking forward to 2023 season with hopefully a watchable game style.

The best sides still found a way, Richmond and Geelong based in QLD all year pretty much still played off in the GF.

We didn't finish 15th because of the hubs, we finished 15th because we're a bottom 4 side and it's as simple as that.

Yep.
The perception was we didn't adjust to hub life.
Reality is we just aren't very good.

Thilthorpe kicked 5 in a quarter on debut against us mate. Wont be hard.

True, had forgotten about that and I was there watching it live.

He is an impressive youngster though. Banfield and Lobb are battlers at best!

True, had forgotten about that and I was there watching it live.

He is an impressive youngster though. Banfield and Lobb are battlers at best!
Interesting info on Horne. Matt Rendell was saying on SEN that he is the adopted son of Fabian Francis. Was adopted by Fabian (who previously played for Port & Freo) at age 4. Horne, Rendell said is an Aboriginal kid, which I did not know. Rendell compared him to Isaac Heeney which I think is a fair comparison, with the skills, marking ability but not necessarily a massive accumulator. Rendell then started banging on about Nick Daicos yet again and I lost interest. Rendell and Cal Twomey are literally in love with Daicos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back