Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

That's bloody awesome if he has indeed grown 3 cm.

A 195cm and 95kg guy who can run all day and jump like Weddle is an athletic specimen we haven't seen in this league since prime Buddy Franklin.
Hawks compared him to Blicavs (cats) when drafted. Not sure if we’ll see weddle in ruck but could foreseeablely hold down a kpd, flank, wing and midfield role.

Hawks compared him to Blicavs (cats) when drafted. Not sure if we’ll see weddle in ruck but could foreseeablely hold down a kpd, flank, wing and midfield role.
Now he has grown to 195cm I could see him pinch hitting in the ruck. He's got a good leap on him and is a strong unit.

Personally though I think the ideal role for Weddle would be that Dusty / Petracca role.

80 / 20 midfield forward line hybrid player.

But I think it's smart to let him learn his trade down back first.

Any number of teams have put their best talent in the backline.

Eg Darcy Moore who would be a top line forward and the Pies just have solid players there

Now he has grown to 195cm I could see him pinch hitting in the ruck. He's got a good leap on him and is a strong unit.

Personally though I think the ideal role for Weddle would be that Dusty / Petracca role.

Dont plough the field with your Ferrari........no disrespect to the rucks out there

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and I do think that he's a wonderful athlete... But he needs to stop running straight into trouble or getting caught with the ball before he saves the world.

{ducks}
I don't think this is a controversial take at all. It's fairly well accepted by everyone that this is the weak point of his game currently. But it's also something that will pretty quickly sort itself out with experience which is why so many are excited about him.

Eg Darcy Moore who would be a top line forward and the Pies just have solid players there
Actually, Darcy Moore was nowhere near a top line forward - that's why he's in defence.

Sicily isn't in defence because he's our best talent, he's there because he was floundering as a forward post 2016.

He's not crafty like a Forward needs to be. I'd love to see him monster High Half Forward but he doesn't demonstrate the same game IQ that Dylan Moore does. And I've seen him burst away from traffic but never through it.

He's our best runner - probs Top 5 in the League. I want him on the outside, using his elite attributes (power running & endurance) to maximum effect, not cramped Forward of Centre.

I don't think this is a controversial take at all. It's fairly well accepted by everyone that this is the weak point of his game currently. But it's also something that will pretty quickly sort itself out with experience which is why so many are excited about him.

Both he and CJ. Maybe they rebound too fast for our team too? Perhaps better spread in the fwd lines will counteract that.
Fwiw the accusation can mor easily be applied to CJ. Weddle can also kick a long goal like Sicily or suckling.

Have with both can work that out then watch out

He's not crafty like a Forward needs to be. I'd love to see him monster High Half Forward but he doesn't demonstrate the same game IQ that Dylan Moore does. And I've seen him burst away from traffic but never through it.

He's our best runner - probs Top 5 in the League. I want him on the outside, using his elite attributes (power running & endurance) to maximum effect, not cramped Forward of Centre.
I am thinking he could play more of a traditional centre half forward when he is down there.

He might not have the tricks/game sense that say Martin or Petracca does but he is a 195cm 95kg athlete who can run all day and from what I have seen is good overhead.

Anyway like I said let's let him mature as a backman first.

Even if he ends up staying down back and turning into the leagues best centre half back that's still an excellent outcome for pick 18 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and I do think that he's a wonderful athlete... But he needs to stop running straight into trouble or getting caught with the ball before he saves the world.

{ducks}

He does have a habit of this, and it was on show in the intra club two weeks ago multiple times. It usually just ended it a hurried kick launched forwards, which could work in our favour now with the additions of Chol, Ginnivan and the Wiz.

Plus, he sure looks good doing it.

I'd like to see him form a partnership down back with Sicily and Scrimshaw. Weddle can play on a tall. It might curb his attacking instincts a little, but he's so fit that he's always going to be able to run off his opponent, who surely won't be able to go with him.

Hopefully with Amon, Weddle and Impey providing run it will limit Frost doing anything but defending too.

Seriously - the guy is 19 and has played all of 17 games.

I'm sure you have a point.

Why not write it down?
Suggesting he’s not crafty and doesn’t demonstrate the footy IQ of Dylan Moore.

He’s still got a fair bit of time to add that to his arsenal don’t you think?

Last edited:
Maybe Weddle could become an explosive forward? Personally I'd rather him play behind the ball or on a wing, so that he has more opportunity to get touches.

It's unusual for players to move from KPD at TAC level, to playing as explosive HFF's. I rather we let him develop one role for now. Besides our backline needs him.

Moore was trialed as a forward for a long time and struggled massively. For somebody who sees it so clearly as a back he never seemed to pickup flight of the ball as a forward.

Maybe Weddle could become an explosive forward? Personally I'd rather him play behind the ball or on a wing, so that he has more opportunity to get touches.

It's unusual for players to move from KPD at TAC level, to playing as explosive HFF's. I rather we let him develop one role for now. Besides our backline needs him.
I think he wants to play on ball.

I remember reading that Patty Cripps had the same situation re growth spurt - he was accustomed to playing as a mid then just shot up in the year or two before being drafted.

Weddle has him absolutely cooked for speed and endurance - he just needs some more games under his belt to understand how to make the best use of his gifts. He's obviously going to get caught / run in to trouble a few times this year, but the long term upside is incredible!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back