Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

Your'e going back a bit with some of these.
I'll give you Harris Andrews, although he was a matched second round bid from the lions academy.

The above was not to suggest that we have a guaranteed future star KPD.
Just that his draft profile reads fairly similarly to the current competition's best.

Early reports from the likes of Andy Collins are that we are pretty happy.

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. :)
Harris Andrews 200cms and 83kgs.

Who is it you see (from Midfield) moving on for more opportunity & where would they go to get more?

Any two of CJ, Weddle are Butler are playing on the wings. If we keep the existing 4 (Duke, Nash, Day and Worpel) and maybe a rotate in of Ward , Moore and MacDonald, that leaves Cam McKenzie (Top 10 pick) and Hustwaite out. Of those last 5 names you could put them in any order. Two of them would miss out. St Kilda, West Coast, Adelaide, Cats and Tigers could all pick up any one of them. I have no idea who would leave but McDonald is a really underused player at HFF and could be an elite mid anywhere else. I see him as a Rozee/Butters type of player.

Nash is at best ordinary overhead, He is gradually improving but has a long way to go. That alone disqualifies him from a KPD role. This before you ask why would you take him out of the midfield where he has excelled.
Agree 100%. If he had come from a basketball background his aerial judgment may have been better and with his size he would have been a monte. But he's from a rugby background which is a man on man grind out game and why he is good at being an inside mid. So we have a 186 cms guy playing KPD and a 197 cm mountain playing midfield. You work with what you have.

We don't have any legitimate CHB options at the moment. McCabe (who sees himself as a third tall) will take years to physically develop into the role, if at all.
Appears we are seeing if scrim can do it (who’s 194cm). Serong or DGB other options. Reckon height less critical for the 2nd tall.

But unlikely to be weddle - appears we want him to run and run and run.

Nothing worse than flogs like Cornes generating headlines that people love reading thus inflating their expectations before a ball is bounced.
I think Barrett claiming we were tanking through most of last year was worse.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jenkins take on us was utterly embarrassing and as lazy an effort as you could get.

Cornes is very good at playing the media game and getting clicks by having an opinion which is either too harsh or too optimistic. It shits me he generates headlines and people latch onto it.

As Davo said below all that matters is what happens on the ground and I love Weddle like everyone else for his strengths but best player in the game…there is just no need to put that pressure on a young player it’s irresponsible.

What we have seen from Weddle to date is that he struggles to defend one on one and with ball in hand often doesn’t know what he is going to do with it. Both fixable in time but let the kid develop with out attaching unnecessary expectation.
Best player in the game is a ridiculous call, best player ever is more accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was listening to SEN on the way to work yesterday and Andy Maher gave Weddle a massive pump up.

Said he will end up being a top ten player in the leauge.

Also made the same comparison I have made and said he reminded him very much of a young Kouta, the way he seems to glide across the field like a Puma like Kouta did and also being able to move so well for a guy his size.

Was listening to SEN on the way to work yesterday and Andy Maher gave Weddle a massive pump up.

Said he will end up being a top ten player in the leauge.

Also made the same comparison I have made and said he reminded him very much of a young Kouta, the way he seems to glide across the field like a Puma like Kouta did and also being able to move so well for a guy his size.
If you watch his highlights he looks a million bucks but these are in isolation and if you watch him in games and he gets lost and also doesn’t make great decisions on a consistent basis.

At this stage he is more athlete than footballer which is fine but his footy IQ needs to develop enormously to meet the ridiculous hype the commentators have thrust on him this off season.

He is a joy to watch don’t get me wrong here just want to give people a reality check on where he is at.

If you watch his highlights he looks a million bucks but these are in isolation and if you watch him in games and he gets lost and also doesn’t make great decisions on a consistent basis.

At this stage he is more athlete than footballer which is fine but his footy IQ needs to develop enormously to meet the ridiculous hype the commentators have thrust on him this off season.

He is a joy to watch don’t get me wrong here just want to give people a reality check on where he is at.
That's where the Kouta comparison is so apt.

Kouta was the same in his early years, an athlete learning to play footy.

I'd even argue that Weddle is ahead of where Kouta was in terms of his game awareness at the same age.

It's just so rare to see a guy come in at 18 years old and be such a powerful all round athlete.

Reality check? Who asked for a reality check?

Surely talking about CJ?

It’s a counter to yet another hype from the media.
Understood RR - but for me an enjoyable part of the midseason is soaking up the hype about emerging players, whether it be on this forum or from the media.

Weddle has enjoyed plenty of hype and I am sure there will be more to come.

Yesterday it was Watson and Hustwaite. After the first Bulldogs hitout, it might be D'Ambrosio and Ramsden.

I think we all know deep down that people recruited during the last two or three drafts still have the trainer wheels on - but every time they show something it provides an opportunity for a delightful fantasy about what they could become.

Last edited:
Understood RR - but for me an enjoyable part of the midseason is soaking up the hype about emerging players, whether it be on this forum or from the media.

Weddle has enjoyed plenty of hype and I am sure there will be more to come.

Yesterday it was Watson and Hustwaite. After the first Bulldogs hitout, it might be D'Ambrosio and Ramsden.

I think we all know deep down that people recruited during the last two or three drafts still have the trainer wheels on - but every time they show something it provides an opportunity for a delightful fantasy about what they could become.
I get where you are coming from. But when I hear statements about players I pay close attention to who is making them. And K Cornes and A Maher are not two media people’s opinions that I listen to.

Korn has turned a huge corner.

this week he put newk as a top 10 lock in the brownlow. ... more interestingly was his description of him as a player now.. yesterday had Wiz down for over 36 goals... he loves Day.

sometimes it's nice to leave the reality below the surface for a while & hook the compliments & grandiose statements straight into the veins.

life is short.

Thinking about the footballer Weddle might be in 2-3 years is tantalising

He is the most 'could be anything' footballer I think I've ever seen at Hawthorn.

Is he going to be the freakish big bodied mid like Kouta?
Giant wingman like Blicavs?
All position utility like Goodes/Pav?
CHB? HBF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back