Hornethorne and the wooden spoon dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You accounting for Daicos and Darcy?
Yes. Darcy is projecting top 3 according to most close draft watchers. So the worst this one game could do is push us from pick 4 (after North, Daicos, Darcy) to pick 6 (after North, Daicos, Darcy, Coll, Adel). And one of Collingwood and Adelaide will win another game this season. People always underestimate the chances of upsets.

No No No to honourable wins on the way home. We have seen enough of the crap for the past 2-3 years to understand where we are and what we need.

clean out the dead wood.
Pick up a free agent or two.
Trade down further into the draft and get more quality.
Tank?

Yeah nah. Not sure how long you've been a supporter but this isn't part of our DNA.

We aren't Carlton or Melbourne. Harp on all you want about a higher draft pick but a winning mentality is what gets you to place's.

Tank?

Yeah nah. Not sure how long you've been a supporter but this isn't part of our DNA.

We aren't Carlton or Melbourne. Harp on all you want about a higher draft pick but a winning mentality is what gets you to place's.

Yeah a very long time. I have seen everything. Play the kids and give exposure but winning a few dead rubbers towards the end of the season does zero for anyone.

Just to clarify, tanking has nothing to do with players on match day. So many players playing for their careers/contract extensions especially with the bottom tier sides. Tanking is resting/leaving out players who could play.

Sort of in a way but if you go back to the Dees debacle Brock said we were all being played out of position towards the end of the season and it was obvious with what the intention was.

Sort of in a way but if you go back to the Dees debacle Brock said we were all being played out of position towards the end of the season and it was obvious with what the intention was.
You can play guys out of position and still win a game of footy. Tanking was more of an issue when priority picks were stupidly handed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah a very long time. I have seen everything. Play the kids and give exposure but winning a few dead rubbers towards the end of the season does zero for anyone.
So drawing against the top ranked side with half our team out is a dead rubber.

Fooling yourself.

Maybe head over to the drafts and trading board where you can trade out everyone for some draft picks.

Our team that was out on the track was literally missing half of our best players. If you can't find positives within that then I give up.

Are we not playing the kids? Even by your standards I'm struggling to comprehend. Reeves, Brockman, Jeka, DGB, Bramble, Moore.

Amazing effort, our best player's not playing due to injury.

So drawing against the top ranked side with half our team out is a dead rubber.

Fooling yourself.

Maybe head over to the drafts and trading board where you can trade out everyone for some draft picks.

Our team that was out on the track was literally missing half of our best players. If you can't find positives within that then I give up.

Are we not playing the kids? Even by your standards I'm struggling to comprehend. Reeves, Brockman, Jeka, DGB, Bramble, Moore.

Amazing effort, our best player's not playing due to injury.
* even John Ralph as more of an idea than you Lickmesocks and that's seriously saying something.

Cast your minds back to 2004, a veritable shoot out between Hawthorn and Richmond for the wooden spoon and #1 draft pick. Everyone claimed the Hawks were tanking but we won 2 of our final 4 games and avoided the wooden spoon. It was actually Richmond who tanked to get the #1 pick when they lost to us by 23 points in penultimate round.

There were people saying then that we should have tanked, but I don't think it's the way to build character. I think you go out each week to win. Come draft time, the player we would have gone for was taken by Richmond and we ended up with Roughie. #2 draft pick isn't the end of the world, but I don't want our first wooden spoon since 1965.

Yes. Darcy is projecting top 3 according to most close draft watchers. So the worst this one game could do is push us from pick 4 (after North, Daicos, Darcy) to pick 6 (after North, Daicos, Darcy, Coll, Adel). And one of Collingwood and Adelaide will win another game this season. People always underestimate the chances of upsets.
Well we play Collingwood and Adelaide so if we only win 1 more as this scenario goes. Collingwood or Adelaide or both will get a win too.

Cast your minds back to 2004, a veritable shoot out between Hawthorn and Richmond for the wooden spoon and #1 draft pick. Everyone claimed the Hawks were tanking but we won 2 of our final 4 games and avoided the wooden spoon. It was actually Richmond who tanked to get the #1 pick when they lost to us by 23 points in penultimate round.

There were people saying then that we should have tanked, but I don't think it's the way to build character. I think you go out each week to win. Come draft time, the player we would have gone for was taken by Richmond and we ended up with Roughie. #2 draft pick isn't the end of the world, but I don't want our first wooden spoon since 1965.
2006 Hawthorn sitting third last on the ladder, win the last 4 matches of the season and finish 11. In just 2 years we would win the Flag, tanking doesn't pay, selling a promise to the players and supporters is what brings home the bacon.

2006 Hawthorn sitting third last on the ladder, win the last 4 matches of the season and finish 11. In just 2 years we would win the Flag, tanking doesn't pay, selling a promise to the players and supporters is what brings home the bacon.
Don't remind me of the 2006 National draft. Probably the worst in the last 30 years for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back