How could Geelong possibly miss James Worpel?

Remove this Banner Ad

That right there shows how little you know about footy. This is coming from the same poster who said that Darling is better than Gunston.

Naughton had 10 disposals - 0 goals last round. Quality production, right? :$

Meanwhile Worpel was voted by the Clarkson and Lyon as the best player on the ground!
Darling is better than Gunston. Weird comment

Gaff is surprising.

Oliver let down by his team not having any runners to make use of his inside domiannce.

I think it's a bit of a nothing stat.

Gaff is a 4 quarter player. He's a bit like a test opener that rarely gets out cheaply and often makes a 50 from 120 balls. You don't rush home to watch the highlights but he's very effective. I'd love it if each of his 20 kicks a game was a Lewis Jetta 60m dart but you can't have everything.

Oliver is brilliant inside. Quick hands and skillful by foot for a guy that doesn't kick it very often. Oliver (and Cunnington is similar) make excellent decisions from clearances so you don't want them winning the ball. It's not like they get 30 junk possessions a game.

Strange nominations but both don't kick a lot of goals so they aren't damaging on that front.

Based on what?

This year Darling has been better. Overall though Gunston has had the better career and his record in the finals puts him ahead. At no point has Darling ever been considered the best mid-sized forward.

50+ goal seasons
Gunston 4
Darling 1

This year Darling has been better. Overall though Gunston has had the better career and his record in the finals puts him ahead. At no point has Darling ever been considered the best mid-sized forward.

50+ goal seasons
Gunston 4
Darling 1
That may be all true, but despite a declining roughead and the departure of Franklin it was still seen by Alastair Clarkson as wise to move his 50 goal a season forward to half back. Not a wise move if you've got a supposed gun forward.

It's like moving Brodie Grundy to a back pocket.

That may be all true, but despite a declining roughead and the departure of Franklin it was still seen by Alastair Clarkson as wise to move his 50 goal a season forward to half back. Not a wise move if you've got a supposed gun forward.

It's like moving Brodie Grundy to a back pocket.

That might have something to do with not having a midfield

That might have something to do with not having a midfield
So Graham Wright has ****ed his list management build then by letting his once dominant midfield become anaemic.
Darling has taken over as the No.1 forward for the reigning premiers and is doing it with aplomb.

So Graham Wright has f’ed his list management build then by letting his once dominant midfield become anaemic.
Darling has taken over as the No.1 forward for the reigning premiers and is doing it with aplomb.

I know he’s stuffed up certain list management decisions, but that would be for another thread. I don’t know exactly how much but Darling does the the ball directed too him a lot.

I know he’s stuffed up certain list management decisions, but that would be for another thread. I don’t know exactly how much but Darling does the the ball directed too him a lot.
but doesn't that feed back to Scotland's earlier point about having stars to feed off. Now that no one can get the ball down there Gunston has to move? Smith is another that is down on effectiveness now you can't win the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 more marks inside 50 for 20 more goals. Both the #1 target inside 50 (by marks taken), Hawthorn have more inside 50s as a team. I'd argue our inside 50s are better but fewer the way we play but there's no stat for that.

27 contested marks out of 67 compared to 13 out of 83. Gunston +18 in inside 50s.

img_3591-jpg.692442

Stat source: Champion Data

Lol. Arguably the most garbage graphic / "stat" for 2019.

Beams and Prestia at #3 and #4 for most damaging mids.

I can only presume that's been abbreviated from "most damaging mids from their respective club's midfield".

I think it's a bit of a nothing stat.

Gaff is a 4 quarter player. He's a bit like a test opener that rarely gets out cheaply and often makes a 50 from 120 balls. You don't rush home to watch the highlights but he's very effective. I'd love it if each of his 20 kicks a game was a Lewis Jetta 60m dart but you can't have everything.

Oliver is brilliant inside. Quick hands and skillful by foot for a guy that doesn't kick it very often. Oliver (and Cunnington is similar) make excellent decisions from clearances so you don't want them winning the ball. It's not like they get 30 junk possessions a game.

Strange nominations but both don't kick a lot of goals so they aren't damaging on that front.

Gaff is probably the best midfielder in the league at recycling possession, with competition from Mitch Duncan. Keeps the ball moving, keeps the opposition moving, creates an outlet ball.

It's an underrated commodity to have someone who can do that, otherwise your option is to kick it long to a contest and risk losing possession. He's critical to the way the Eagles like to play.

but doesn't that feed back to Scotland's earlier point about having stars to feed off. Now that no one can get the ball down there Gunston has to move? Smith is another that is down on effectiveness now you can't win the ball.

It reminds me of Pies fans talking up Chris Tarrant back in the day. 'He's not a key forward, he's a third tall. He's a flanker'. I've seen Mark LeCras kick 60 in a season but you don't build a forward line around him because it's too easy to defend. I am not surprised at all that Gunston has been pretty anonymous this year after Roughead played poorly and has since gone out of the team. Astute footy followers know that while he hasn't been the same player after missing 2016 that he has still played a valuable role. If Hawthorn pick up Patton from GWS who I don't think will ever be better than a 40-50 goal a year forward but is a genuine key target then I'd expect Gunston to be much better next year.

Gaff is probably the best midfielder in the league at recycling possession, with competition from Mitch Duncan. Keeps the ball moving, keeps the opposition moving, creates an outlet ball.

It's an underrated commodity to have someone who can do that, otherwise your option is to kick it long to a contest and risk losing possession. He's critical to the way the Eagles like to play.

Yep good observation. On the other wing we have Masten who is a great runner but as a decision maker kinda stinks. He'll often get the ball in similar positions and turn it over. Gaff regularly kicks the ball 25-40m to a teammate then runs on to provide an option up the ground. Important but unspectacular role. Sidebottom (more damaging than Gaff in general) does a lot of this too and we saw on the weekend what can happen when he's not given any attention.

I'd love to hear the story behind this.

Local boy, captain of the Geelong Falcons, touted as a top-10 pick by some draft experts. Geelong have three chances to pick him up (although they did take the excellent Tim Kelly with one of those which is fair enough) and yet they still somehow miss out.

Not sure I would go so far as to say that their recruiting team should be sacked but I think there are plenty of questions to be asked.

It's pretty obvious there's something dodgy about him otherwise we would've picked him up.

It's pretty obvious there's something dodgy about him otherwise we would've picked him up.
That’s hilarious. Being dodgy has never stopped the pussies before ..... just look at your best ever player and note which club gave him the boot because of his wild ways.

img_3591-jpg.692442

Stat source: Champion Data
What stats did it use to measure that? Or are you taking Champion "Lance Franklin is an average player" at their word? Champion data puts out a lot of stupid statements using cringey and stats used incorrectly. Posting a click bait picture to back up a point without any stats or reasons is dumb. Also for a non damaging midfielder in Oliver champion data has him as the 5th beat player in the league

What stats did it use to measure that? Or are you taking Champion "Lance Franklin is an average player" at their word? Champion data puts out a lot of stupid statements using cringey and stats used incorrectly. Posting a click bait picture to back up a point without any stats or reasons is dumb. Also for a non damaging midfielder in Oliver champion data has him as the 5th beat player in the league

Scoring chains, so just by being part of an average low scoring side this year he's off to a bad start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back