List Mgmt. How did Port Adelaide overtake the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t even think those Crows kids are that bad. Jones and McHenry probably don’t live up to their picks considering the players around them but will be handy players. .
Very debatable.
Neither have done anything to indicate they'll be on a list in 4 years so far.

Port's drafting and development have been superior on all counts.

Crows are a rabble and have no system - their oldest/best players are injury prone - there is limited opportunity for development of any talent they do have.

Port
2016: Marshall Powell-Pepper, Atley, Drew, Ladhams
2017: Hayes (205cm) Farrell, Patmore Garner
2018: Connor Rozee (5), Zak Butters (12), Xavier Duursma (18), Riley Grundy (73), Boyd Woodcock (76)

Crows:
2016: Gallucci, Poholke, Himmelberg
2017: Fogarty, McPherson, Wilson, Murphy
2018: Chayce Jones (9), Ned McHenry (16), Will Hamill (30), Lachlan Sholl (64)
For some reason I though PP was way older. Plays like a veteran, has 5 attempts at the same contest.

They were very smart about drafting a lot of young players over the past two seasons. This accelerated their quality, complemented by drafting well as they seem to have a few great kids in the side.

It ebs and flows like it always does, the crows have just had more of a clean out then perhaps they were expecting. Add a few injuries to senior players and there lack of depth is exposed.

Say 2010, 2011 and 2012 and crows were up and about and Port were so bad that the crows CEO the honourable Triggy said that we were hurting the SA brand off football, Gary Lyon was tearing into Port about the young kids coming to the club etc etc.

All I am saying is that is part of the cycle and that's where the clubs are at the moment, and when your up and make bad decisions, you don't necessarily feel them for a few years until you bottom out.

Also lets not forget about how bad Richmond were before they were good.
Even had Paul Conners questioning why you’d go to Port despite having then captain Cassisi on his list…

Gibbs was more a local pr exercise than looking for best fit for their list.
sometimes these arrangements don’t work out.
Nice profile pic! 🤘 "The mountains are cold!..."

Gibbs was more a local pr exercise than looking for best fit for their list.
sometimes these arrangements don’t work out.
Gibbs deal was ludicrous. Highlights everything wrong with the club & was part of the reason for the mass exodus.
2015-2017 I thought the crows were doing well, good recruiting, good coaches, but an ageing list plagued with stars departing. 2018 was the year they needed to start rebuilding & looking to the future, in comes birdbrain and now everything is a mess. Did crows change their recruiters that year? Prior they did well with ordinary picks.
Meanwhile port have nailed the last 3-4 drafts, accelerated the rate of development of juniors and focussed upon bringing in experienced mid aged players to fill that void in our list.

Gibbs deal was ludicrous. Highlights everything wrong with the club & was part of the reason for the mass exodus.
2015-2017 I thought the crows were doing well, good recruiting, good coaches, but an ageing list plagued with stars departing. 2018 was the year they needed to start rebuilding & looking to the future, in comes birdbrain and now everything is a mess. Did crows change their recruiters that year? Prior they did well with ordinary picks.
Meanwhile port have nailed the last 3-4 drafts, accelerated the rate of development of juniors and focussed upon bringing in experienced mid aged players to fill that void in our list.

Yeh right, rebuild the year after you dominate the league, finish top and lose a grand final.

Things turn very quickly in AFL.

Not saying Ports list isnt good, but let's say Boak, Dixon, Westhoff, Gray and Rockliff all retire (likely in the next 2 -3 years) and Wines leaves for a Melbourne team, I would say that Port becomes a middle of the table team.

The key is to win a premiership the year you get a chance. Everyone always says, we have next year.

Look at the Crows and Collingwood, you unfortunately get plagued by injuries and down on confidence after getting so close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My contribution to this thread can be safely ignored because I am hopelessly biased. My belief is that whoever is most successful at any given moment is transitory and irrelevant. What matters to me that I support a real club with a proud and long history and not a franchise whose very existence is the result of Port's ambition and innovation.

The Victorians clubs have turned plucking the best talent from interstate into an art form.
Did it to Gold Coast for years, same with GWS, same with Adelaide.

If Adelaide still had Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, Gunston and McGovern this thread wouldn't exist but at this stage the Adelaide list comprises of players too old to be poached, not good enough to poach or too young to poach.

Can't see it changing until they fix the off-field issues.

Last edited:
we have something to play for, a reason to exist, a reason to celebrate, a reason to fight. they have used up their energy trying to close us down, the only reason they existed in the first place

If Adelaide still had Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, McGovern and Lever this thread wouldn't exist.

....if they still had them they wouldn't be the adelaide crows. they wanted to LEAVE the adelaide crows, there is no world where they still have them.

The Victorians clubs have turned plucking the best talent from interstate into an art form.
Did it to Gold Coast for years, same with GWS, same with Adelaide.

If Adelaide still had Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, McGovern and Lever this thread wouldn't exist.

Finally someone talking sense, spot on. We just didn't use the picks correctly from these trades.

It won't stop until the Crows get off the bottom of the ladder, the lure of playing finals and moving to Melbourne will still cause issues.

Finally someone talking sense, spot on. We just didn't use the picks correctly from these trades.

It won't stop until the Crows get off the bottom of the ladder, the lure of playing finals and moving to Melbourne will still cause issues.

You wont get off the bottom of the ladder until it stops.
You were not bottom when those players left.

You wont get off the bottom of the ladder until it stops.
You were not bottom when those players left.

We will never stop the issue (now) of players leaving until we get off the bottom of the ladder.

We are going to be like GC now for 3-4 years minimum, pick the talent and the talent will leave.

If my horrible football club ever makes it out of their decade of destruction I will be hoping they still hit the draft every year rather than throw the kitchen sink at meh footballers. I feel like post 2017 adelaide needed to have a better more balanced list management strategy.

Being a soulless invention seems to have worked out ok for WC and GWS.

West Coast are the bizarro version of Adelaide if they were run by a competent leadership rather than by an incompetent boys clubs which finds new and creative ways to fail at every turn.

The Crows have all the natural advantages they should need to be another West Coast. Instead they're barely another Fremantle.

Port believe they can win, play a great brand of footy and have a really good even spread of players to cover all positions, unfortunately for the Crows they have non of the above but they'll definitely be back up in a few years just need to get all the crap thats gone on out of their system.
And please get rid of Roo, he's doing absolutely no favours for them whatsoever at the moment.

We didn't tie our players up naked to trees, reference dead siblings to still grieving players, offer to wife share like a pack of beta cucks or basically sh*t on our players indigenous heritage. You can basically apply this to any other club though.
Yes I guess you can to all 17 clubs that are now above the Crows lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back