How do you currently rate the game as a spectacle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Armed & Dangerous

Cancelled
Jan 12, 2007
Townsville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Roosters
I am dissapointed at the current developments surrounding the game. The changes to the "hands in the back rule" has led to a less free-flowing game with the paying of soft frees.
The possession style of football that has been adopted by a number of clubs is turning our game into a hybrid version of basketball with kicking, and I have noticed commentators trying to justify tactics and decisions that are being made in all areas of the game, when deep down I hope they are concerned at the changes occurring. At no other level of the game is it played in the style that the AFL is currently dishing up.

On another note, the way Ch. 7 is broadcasting the game I feel is a deliberate ploy to get more people to sign up to Pay TV to get a better coverage, from all perspectives. The more people that sign up, the more Pay TV can argue for a greater slice of the coverage, which means that eventually, here in SA, we may only get 2 games a week, and we know which ones they will be:rolleyes:

How long will it be before we only get 3 games a week on free-to-air?
I say 3 years.

Thoughts?

Defining a spectacle as either an impressive sight or a ridiculous one, id have to say that the game is definately a great spectacle in one way or another.

There is plenty of ridiculous things happening every week in relation to the rules/tribunal/player behaviour and club management. So the game is definately a spectacle in that regard.

The game is constantly changing and I would agree that it is becoming more and more like basketball.

When brisbane were dominant everyone copied thier style and footy was the better for it. Teams developed big strong sides to play collision footy.

Now the eagles, swans, crows are dominating and people are copying thier style which is a shame as adelaide and sydney in particular play a very disicplined but quite boring style of game.

Im hoping that a strong offensive team will come along and destroy the negative flooding tactics which seem so popular at the moment. The eagles could be that team.

The Anzac day game flowed very well and was a spectacular contest. Great game to watch. More games like that and the AFL are going to do very well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back